"Car of Dreams" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » "Car of Dreams" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Gillings (144.137.123.199)
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2002 - 20:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Last week the ABC played the 1934 movie "Car of Dreams" starring John Mills and Grete Mosheim. The car in question was central to the plot and turned out to be a brand new Rolls-Royce drophead coupe.

From the date I assume it's a 20/25 rather than a Phantom II. The body style is very obviously by H.J.Mulliner, with its razor edge front mudguards and sharp bottom corners to the windscreen (ref. Praeclarvm No.3-01, p3746).

The numberplate is "BUC 8" which should help in its identification, as the British rarely changed numbers in their movies (or so I believe). Sadly, David Harding died last year and I don't know if anyone has a copy of his database. I neglected to get a copy myself after he offered.

Here is a picture of the car, taken from a frame of the movie:

BUC 8

I hope someone can help identify this car, as I intend to include its chassis number in the "Cast of Players" on the label of my recording of this movie!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bernard King (195.92.168.164)
Posted on Monday, 18 March, 2002 - 07:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For Chris Gillings
Pictured car registered BUC8 is indeed by H. J. Mulliner. This 3 position sedanca coupe was chassis number GSF53, delivered to G. R. L. Tilley in England January 1935. Last recorded still in England during 1992. This info available in CC1, The Rolls-Royce 20/25 by Tom C. Clarke with a little help from yours truly!