Mk6 special for auction Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Mk6 special for auction « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Taxis
Frequent User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, 08 February, 2013 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A nice looking Mk 6 special up for auction in Melbourne,guiding range seems very reasonable, it will be interesting to see what it sells for
http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/E58VF122C596UF02

Barry Brears
Prolific User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, 08 February, 2013 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,My T1 Bentley also is in that auction Lot 8 and very reasonable guiding range.

Barry Brears
Prolific User

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, 19 February, 2013 - 11:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well my pride and joy the T1 Bentley SBH 17291 sold at Shannons auction in Melbourne last night.I doubt whether I will be venturing in RR or Bentley territory again,I've run out money and my health is failing slowly.So I would like to take this opportunity of thanking you all for your friendship particularly Richard Treacy,Bill in Canberra and many more to numerous to mention good luck with your projects.

Leho Proos
Experienced User
Username: lehoproos

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, 20 February, 2013 - 03:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry
Sorry to hear that you are now [Rolls-Royce] less. I assume the price obtained was to your satisfaction. I understand the effects of health since I am in similar circumstances healthwise.
Hope you keep perusing the forum and contribute when appropriate.
Leho

ps I originally used the well known acronym for [Rolls-Royce] and received an error message saying that the acronym is not allowed on this discussion board. Really?????

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Wednesday, 20 February, 2013 - 04:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Barry/ I had an unfortunate twinge when you mentioned the sale of your T. I have never owned an SY, RR or B but if I did I would opt for a T!!!. And now iI I brought another car into our nest, the result would not be pretty.

As to retirement, at 75 I have realised that having a consuming interest with 'forced' interaction with people is probably the key to survival. Unfortunately as I tell so many people, I think I am really twenty but my body reminds me that I am not. Last month I fell head first down some brick stairs in the garden (stone cold sober) and was lucky that the only casualty was my knee which is getting on my nerves but I can still walk and 'they' are going to do an arthroscopy and clean up the bits and pieces inside. Having viewed the viewed the procedure on uTube I think it is equivalent to trying to change the thermostat on your T1 by operating through the cylinder block drain plug!

So please be a presence here for the benefit of all of us including yourself!

Leho/ The 'forbidden term' is one of many that we can thank the cucumber sandwich munchers and the motoring press for along with such nauseous descriptives as 'failing to proceed' and even the hallowed 'the best car in the world'. In 1980 in the Factory with the brand new SZ being hammered out, the workshop supervisor cut me very short when I started to display slightly fawning tendencies to the Marque generally in my conversation by firmly pointing out in his own words 'it is only a car you know'.

Unfortunately, the name 'Roll-Royce' has become a soubriquet associated with many good and or desirable things in life which attract people to the cars for often not the most admirable reasons. The Factory tried to resist this in the very early days, but when you have a customer standing in front of you with a fist full of currency wanting to buy your product it doesn't make much business sense to start checking the buyer's social credentials!

Leho Proos
Experienced User
Username: lehoproos

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, 20 February, 2013 - 06:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill
I have never been into the cucumber sandwich bunch. However, I have found the acronyms using the first letters of proper motor car and failure to proceed (capitalized, of course) to be handy short hand. Particularly useful on forums where the meaning is clear to the viewers. I find having to type R-R/B to be cumbersome with too many shifts for my two thumbs to handle.
The next time you plan to descend stairs quickly, please plan ahead and have a Scotch or two.
Leho

Brian Vogel
Prolific User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 258
Posted on Wednesday, 20 February, 2013 - 13:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Leho,

I, like you, Bill, and most of "the regulars" here, have never been in the Cucumber Sandwich Crowd. Apparently, there is a distinct cultural divide with regard to the acronym that dare not speak its name on the RROC-Australia Discussion Forums.

I never, even for a moment, thought that the term "Proper Motor Car" was anything other than arch humor, as is "failure to proceed." That sentiment is not universally shared. I had been warned a long time ago that the acronym . . . was looked upon very unkindly, to put it mildly, in certain quarters but had forgotten that until I tried to use it and communicated with the forum moderator after receiving the "you can't use that here" message.

Brian, who figures that anyone who has ever owned a Shadow knows that "the world's finest motorcar" has a different meaning for those familiar with some of Crewe's "boutique engineering" choices (and knows plenty of Cloud era and SZ era owners who've shared the same sentiment)

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, 20 February, 2013 - 22:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

May I quote from the handbook to my Spirit II? The section entitled Rolls-Royce Assistance Service states; "In the event of an accident, failure to proceed, fire or theft, assistance will be available to you 24 hours a day on each day of the year."

FTP seems to be an official R-R term.

Sadly I can't find any reference to the company supplying cucumber sandwiches or a good Single Malt for any motorist experiencing one of these events...
The moral; take your own Thermos if you think you may break down.}
Regards,
Brian Crump

Tim North
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.157.147.185
Posted on Wednesday, 20 February, 2013 - 19:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Forbidden. Why? Does P*C have some other meaning in Oz? I agree with Bill about use of these terms. Keep on chatting Barry even if there is no current car to chat about.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Thursday, 21 February, 2013 - 07:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tim, I suggest the problem is not confined to Australia but also exists in other R-R/B clubs around the world. The reasons are probably many and varied however differences in attitude between the generations are evident whenever this topic comes up for discussion.

Brian has referred to a private discussion with me and I will publish part of my response to him as it is relevant to the current discussion:

"You can be assured you are and will be a welcome, respected and valued contributor to our Forum - we Australians do not stand on ceremony or perceived superiority of certain individuals; we judge you by what you do rather than who you think you are. Just be aware we have a quirky sense of humour at times and sometimes use derogatory terms as a form of praise, for example being called "an old bastard" can imply respect rather than derision and reflects the personal relationship between the individuals concerned even though they have never met personally.

Our and my philosophy is "no good deed goes unrecognised", our forums depend on the contributions and support of our members to remain viable and active. We have everything to lose and nothing to gain by allowing inappropriate criticism and/or denigration on our forum to remain unchallenged, we believe in everyone having a fair go and robust discussion of alternative points of view will often eventuate leading to a positive outcome in most instances. Of course, there are times when there has to be an agreement to disagree and the matter allowed to rest rather than one side persisting in trying to have the last say. As moderator, I try and keep an open mind and not take sides however I occasionally break out and express my personal opinion making sure everyone is aware it is an opinion and not fact unless I have suitably documented proof."

My personal opinion on P*C is that this comes into the category of a term being used as a form of praise however others will not agree deeming it to be vulgar and demeaning. This is one instance where agreeing to disagree must prevail.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Thursday, 21 February, 2013 - 07:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Of no relevance but maybe of interest, my partner in life purchased a Toyota Aurion - a car surely iconic in our age given its features, performance, appearance and reliability. One of the many features we were reluctant to try was an electronic version of the offer Brian Crump refers to in his car's Handbook.

You see, amid the various switches, lights, levers and warnings on the 'ceiling' of the Aurion, there is a button one pushes for assistance - no matter where you are and that includes help in the event of unwanted physical ravishment, lost, as in where the Hell am I, won't go, or I imagine 'I am lonely and unloved and parked on the edge of a cliff in neutral (the car that is) with my foot on the brake and no one cares" situation. For this system to work we pay a nominal sum per year.

To my utter disgrace the F*P cloud descended on us late one night so the button, we pushed. Well I have to say, had a private helicopter landed beside us with a small platoon of Toyotaites I could not have been more astonished or impressed. Courteous, friendly and helpful - turned out the battery had carked hence my embarrassment and we were on our way.

A bit more scarry; my mate was trying to test, as is his won't, the output of the very impressive audio equipment on the car one Saturday afternoon (as in satarvoh) and received a phone call on his mobile to the effect that the battery on the car appeared to be getting a little low and he should do something about it. We went outside and checked for errant satellites, unmanned reconnaisance planes and even Toyotaites lurking in the trees!! There were none. Actually Brian I would suggest you test your printed offer and report back.

PS Thanks for the heads up on the F*P use in your Handbook but I strongly suspect the Factory pinched the term from the cucumber fraternity! See you at pill time!!

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, 21 February, 2013 - 16:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did test my printed offer Bill and yes the NRMA came with tow truck and hot soup...
No: it was not an FTP - it was a bloody breakdown on a dark and stormy night. The towie asked if we had a car cover to hide the car on the truck as he firmly believed that was standard equipment from the factory. I convince him he was wrong by opening the bonnet which the factory had forgotten to seal shut...
Myths and legends abound!
(BTW Bill, do you salt your cucumber and press it between 2 bricks before laying it down in a sandwich? I'm told it helps avoid indigestion and other indiscretions.)
Regards,
Brian

Barry Brears
Prolific User

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, 21 February, 2013 - 16:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think its been AAAAAmazing the interest and banter the sale of my beloved (its only a car)Bentley has stirred up.By the way my new car a Honda Accord (second hand I hastily mention)does the same job as my Bentley which is to drive me from A to B without the looks and abuse from the Bogan who lives accross the street.Barry