Wheel arches Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Wheel arches « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glen Heath
New User
Username: glen_heath

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, 23 December, 2009 - 16:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents, looking at my Silver Shadow which was resprayed some years ago she looks so lovely, except when i look above the tyres and the wheel arches seem so unloved.
I am wondering if there is an acceptable product to use to "blacken" the arches or is this not the done thing?
Your thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks
Glen

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 927
Posted on Wednesday, 23 December, 2009 - 17:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The wheel arch internal surfaces, lower sill panels and complete underside of DRH14434 had been sprayed with black sound deadening compound - do not know if this was ex-Crewe or an after-market anti-corrosion treatment during its early winter days in Yorkshire before coming to Australia.

I thought it did not detract from the car but others may have a different opinion.

Dave Burbidge
Experienced User
Username: ovation

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, 24 December, 2009 - 12:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use a sound deading black spray under the wheel arches and all under the car. There is another underbody product which is a hard wearing paint thats good for the sill area and sump pans etc. All available from the accessory stores.
Merry Xmas
Dave

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, 01 January, 2010 - 21:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While undersealing The Old Girl I couldn't help but notice that the dreaded tin worm had started to make inroads into the exposed edges of the wheel arches and sills. Rather than start on a partial or even full respray (which I cannot afford at the moment) I masked off along the swage lines around the arches and level with the lower chrome trim and gave the paint a blast of black underseal with a "Shutz Gun". I then continued this line along the bottoms of each front and rear wings and round the complete front and rear below the bumpers.
I don't think it looks too bad. What do you think?
Pic1
Pic2
Incidently: One or both of these pictures are due to be printed in a forthcoming issue of "Practical Calssics" magazine some time in the new year.
Ps. I'm well aware that she's settled on her haunches more than is acceptable. I'll be seeing to the springs in a couple of months when finances and temperatures permit. As I type this there is a thick frost which has not been even slightly mitigated by the weak sunshine. At least the snow and most of the ice has dissipated for the moment, although more is forecast for the coming month

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2049
Posted on Friday, 01 January, 2010 - 23:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Um. Has Dracula's mum had a turn of indigestion, throwing her wings backwards in a strangled blue asphyxiated horror having swallowed a Flying Lady?

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, 01 January, 2010 - 23:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What happened to the vent windows Jan? There seems to be a black keel in there; a souvenir of Australia II’s win of the America’s Cup perhaps?

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, 01 January, 2010 - 23:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I mentioned some time ago that a local junky considered that my Emily would serve better purpose in supplying his next 'fix' than adorning the front of The Old Girl.
Rather than go to the expense of a pukka replacement only for it to go the same way I obtained this one from the US at less than half the price - including transatlantic shipping!
It even contains a small bulb which is supposed to illuminate the wings, although it does this very poorly. For the sake of safety I have bolted it to the chrome trim down the middle of the bonnet without the bolts continuing through the bonnet itself. To date it hasn't budged even at speeds of 70 (ish )
As for the (non-opening) vent windows: That's where I've currently placed a couple of after-market door mirrors. Some time in the future I may replace them with some more in keeping with the originals.

(Message edited by Got_One on 01 January 2010)

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, 12 January, 2010 - 02:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update: I've got hold of a pair of XJ6 door mirrors which I am informed are as good if not better than the original fitment(s). I'll be fitting them as soon as I no longer need to shovel snow out of the way to get into the car!
Ps. At ten quid the pair (eBay) I think I got a bargain
I'll consider getting a replacent Emily only when I'm sure she won't be ripped off