Tyres Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Tyres « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Lagden
Experienced User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2011 - 15:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You would not believe the problems I am having in trying to get a set of new tyres for my 74 Silver Shadow. I have read that Bridgestone 235/75/15 are the best. I have searched hi and low and find nothing. Perhaps someone out there could point me in the right direction, if not Bridgestone then some other make but not Avon (too expensive)
Thanks
Kevin

David Thomas
Experienced User
Username: davidthomas

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2011 - 16:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin

In 2007 I fitted Maxxis 225/75R15 (with a small white-wall) on my 1975 Silver Shadow (SRH20104) and have been very happy with them.

Hope this helps!
David

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2011 - 20:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I got mine from Chapman's Automotive in Melbourne, worth giving them a call.

Carl Heydon
Experienced User
Username: car

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2011 - 07:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am on my second set of Cooper Discoverer H/T 235/70-15 on SBH19606 and find them very durable though they do need at least 40psi. The tread may be a little aggressive for some people but they suit the ugly roads we have here in Northern NSW. They don't seem too noisy on smooth roads and I don't worry if I need to drop a wheel off the side of the road.

Kevin Lagden
Experienced User
Username: kevin

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2011 - 12:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just come across a Mastercraft tyre available here for $ 215 with white wall available through Bob Jane TMarts. Anyone know if these are any good. Apparently they look god a give the right kind of ride and are widely used on classics.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 258
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2011 - 13:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a couple of previous threads from the archives which are well worth reading -- do a search for 'tyres', there's lots to absorb.

From what I can gather (from my admittedly limited understanding) the size of the tyres is fairly critical.

Apart from affecting the accuracy of the speedometer there can be problems with (especially) wide tyres rubbing during a tight turn and someone also mentioned touching of the suspension during full load.

Bob Chapman who replaced mine told me he doesn't pass roadworthy certificates on cars with wrongly sized tyres. You'd of course be unlucky to strike an RTA type who'd notice but it's also worth bearing in mind.

Mine are the same as David's -- 225/75R15 -- (Hi David :-) ;are much quieter than the previous Bridgestones, work well on our dire local roads in the Snowy Mountains and were a very reasonable price to boot!.

Anyway, from the archives...

http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/discus.pl

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/30/2623.html

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2011 - 13:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have been running the Mastercraft (Sensys)on my Shadow II for some time and have been happy with their performance so far. They are the correct size for late Shadow I/ShadowII being 235/70/R15 not 235/75/R15. Having said that I have run the bigger Bridgestones in the past and found the speedo was more accurate.

sensys1

sensys2

N. Craig Bryant
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.6.117.74
Posted on Sunday, 03 April, 2011 - 04:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why do so many people settle for having the incorrect size tyre on their automobile? I am at a loss. I might add the same about cheap tyres. I don't expect anything for a Rolls-Royce to be easily obtainable, or cheap. I have just re-shod LRE 22573 with Goodyear RS-A. A high speed rated tyre, impeccable handling, and quiet. Perfect in every respect for the car. Just over $1,000. US for five ( I will not drive a car with a mis-matched spare!) out the door. Let's hit the road!

(Message approved by david_gore)

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, 06 April, 2011 - 19:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

Slightly out of threat, as this refers to the general question as to why depart from the original. To my mind there are at least two reasons... one is that in some models, like my 1994 Continental R, only Avon manufacture(d) the tyres in 255/55 17, and after having almost committed suicide trying to keep them balanced for more than 3 meters, I decided to quit...

Thanks to the Porsche Cayennes and the like, we now have great 16 and 17" high speed tyres rated for the weight of our cars, but this can mean sacrificing a 5% in profile (up or down) and moving from W to V rated tires. I am a lot more comfortable with an slightly different profile on a modern tyre than with the late 80's design of the Avons (yes, I had one de-threat slightly at 200 Km/h and I got scared).

When you see the drives in Brabo, here in The Netherlands, (mostly impeccably maintained) almost nobody sticks to the original Avons, either compromising in profile or (very slightly) in speed rating.

The other reason is cost, and indeed I agree with you that when driving a two-and-a-half ton monster you better be careful with the tires, but I think that there is nothing wrong in refusing to pay a 899€ rip off for one (yes one) Avon tyre.

In as much as I can tell you however from friends, the main reason, at least for the Turbo cars is to switch to a modern design.

Best regards,

Lluís

(Message edited by Lluís on 06 April 2011)

(Message edited by Lluís on 06 April 2011)

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, 06 April, 2011 - 19:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh, and maybe a third reason,

I tried both 255/60 and 255/55. Another valid reason (at least to me) is that with the use I give to the car (highway, lately Netherlands, France and Spain not too much Germany as before) I prefer the ride and quietness of a slightly higher profile. And honestly, I am not a keen driver, but even when I go to Germany at 200Km/h the stability with the higher profile is still excellent and the speedometer within 5% accuracy.

For the next set, however I will go back to 255/55, just for the sake of originality.

Best regards,

Lluís}

KC Saayman
Prolific User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, 11 April, 2011 - 15:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To get back to Shadow tyres, I have owned an early Shadow, and now own a later model, so had to do some research to figure out what size tyres would be suitable. These are my conclusions, which may be of interest. This is obviously open to further opinion, we keep learning…

Earlier Shadow's and T1's, prior to SRC18269 and SBH18265 should be fitted with 205/80 15 radial tyres, and later cars with 235/70 15 radial tyres. (See "Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow & Bentley T Series Workshop Manual", Chapter A page A7, A8 and A9) Note that the aspect ratio of the narrower 205 tyres should be 80, and on the wider 235 tyres it is 70. That will result in the correct calculated diameter of about 710mm. (Very early Shadows were fitted with 8.15 15 cross-ply tyres, and the 205/80 15 radials are the recommended replacement for these earlier tyres)

(That was easy, I am battling to find a correct profile radial tyre for my Bentley S1!)

Regards

KC

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, 29 April, 2011 - 21:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to resurect this thread: I fitted a pair of General XP2000 tyres in 235/70 X 15 102V to the rear of The Old Girl (Silver Shadow 1, SRH 24518) about 3 years ago. Grip (wet or dry - but not on packed snow), handling, road noise have all been excellent and at least equivalent to the Avon TurboSteels that were on there - and still on the front - when I bought her. As best I recall after all this time they worked out about 25% more economical than the Avons.

Clifford Donley
Frequent User
Username: flatus

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, 22 July, 2011 - 23:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For where they are available, we in the States have found two Korean brands in the correct sizes at fair prices. They are Hankook and Kumho.

I have the Kumho 235/70-15 whitewalls on my Spirit. They do quite nicely. For a set of five installed including balancing, shipping, and taxes it was just under US$500 which I thought was a tremendous bargain.

Cliff

Brian Vogel
Experienced User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, 23 July, 2011 - 03:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to add to this thread, GT Radial Maxtour tires are also available in 235/70R15 WSW, at least in the US.

As to the "correct" tire size, be aware that all of these size designations are nominal and not necessarily actual sizes. There is some plus/minus latitude within a given size designation, and it's larger than most people would suspect. You'll never go wrong with whatever the OEM spec is/was, but you can often go up or down in size depending on a given manufacturer's actual size.

I put Kumho Solus KR21 235/75R15 tires on my Shadow II and can confirm the previous observation by Mark Herbstreit, my speedometer reading is more accurate [according to my GPS, which I trust for accuracy far more than any electromechanical speedometer that's 33 years old].

Brian

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, 24 July, 2011 - 04:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Courtesy of the same donor car I got my 'new' exhaust system from I've just been and bought all 5 wheels and tyres. The 4 road wheels are shod with white wall "Cooper Lifeliner Classic II" in 235/70X15 steel and rayon belted radials. The spare is an Avon Turbospeed, black wall this time, in the same size. Other than the spare having been badly worn on one shoulder (but still completely legal) the tread is so deep on each of them that you could get a concussion if you fell into it!

After wire brushing, descaling, degreasing and finally painting the rims they look almost as good as new - although I don't think the tyres will last more than a couple of years before they start to crack up through age and the elements.

Apart from the time, paint and fuel costs (waste veg oil in the Toyota) they've only cost me the princely sum of BBT (British Beer Tokens) 150.

Richard Hodgetts
New User
Username: richard_hodgetts

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, 06 January, 2012 - 13:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it helps anyone after much searching I found KUMHO 225/75R15 102T KL51 tyres at Bob Jane & find them to be very quiet and smooth for my silver shadow. $863 set inc wheel alignment was not too bad. Time will tell.

Michael Hicks
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, 19 January, 2012 - 03:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is from the RR&B Forum just so you all don’t think I have gone mad
I am trying some Federal Tyres as I am fed up with the Avon there horrible in the wet and the stupid price so I decided to put some on my Honda to see what the wet and dry are like and they do them in 255/55/17 V but not W for France Sorry Boys

Well the Honda is wearing her new Shoes and they feel good at present
It was wet but not raining I am going to keep you up to date on there progress
Looking at the tred paten it is very similar to F1’s which I Have on the RX7 but it has wider channels to get rid of water
So we will see