235/70/15 Tyres Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » 235/70/15 Tyres « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David M
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.39.81.13
Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2005 - 15:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone,
I've recently purchased a Bentley Eight and the time has come to replace the tyres. It currently has Avon 235/70/15s which are $550 each. I've called over 10 different tyre places and all have different opinions as to whether 225/75/15s can be used. Toyo and Hankook both make white walls in this size at less than $200 each. Can this sized tyre be used? Are there brands other than Avon that make 235/70/15s? If not any ideas on how to get Avons for less than $2200 a set?
Thanks
David

(Message approved by david_gore)

Gordon Norris
Frequent User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, 13 March, 2005 - 19:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,
Alot has been written in this forum about tyres, so if you do a search under "tyres" or even "tires", you'll find lots of threads. Often the threads will be dealing with another tyre problem, but will expand into tyre types/options.

Of paramount importance is that the load rating of 101 minimum be observed...alot of tires will fit but don't have a high enough load rating.

Also, the price you have been quoted on the Avons is good, believe it or not! Avon quoted me $900 each about 14 months ago before I converted to 17 inch rims, which is worthwhile looking at...it gives you better tire options. I have 17 inch Turbo RT rims on my Bentley Turbo R.

The Avons are expensive due to the low volume made in this size, not because they're especially good by modern standards. They are an outdated design now, and tend to be a bit noisy and often prone to balance problems.

Anyway, do a search and have a read, and I'm sure you will be enlightened.

Hope this is helpful,

GN.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 626
Posted on Sunday, 13 March, 2005 - 22:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As Gordon points out, much has been written on tyres of course.

You are lucky. Unlike Turbo R owners, you have quite a choice available without buying new rims.

Look at:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17/2445.html#POST6019

Bridgestone SF375 are a good tyre in 235.70x15. I use them on two cars in 215.75x15. I think they are only speed rated to S, so check your state registration authorities for legality. Bridgestone is my favoured tyre, along with the Michelin equivalent of course. I have used both.

225.75x15 102V are fine for your car too, but of course 1cm narrower, not that it matters much. 215.75x15 are also fine, but the speedo will read 2% too fast.

Incidentally, Turbo R wheels are marginal on non-turbo cars. Until around 1994, non-Turbos had narrower mudguard liners than the Turbo Rs. In most instances, Turbo R wheels and tyres will foul the guards of a non turbo as they are 1" wider outwards. Once the stocks and contracts expired, R-R standardised the Turbo R mudguard liners across the range.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 356
Posted on Monday, 14 March, 2005 - 00:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Like Richard I favour Bridgestone and have fitted them to seven cars. But my car I bought with Sumitomo SC890's and the appearance is quite acceptable.

the Sumitomo SC890 and only rated to S which is OK for Aust

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 628
Posted on Monday, 14 March, 2005 - 02:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

By the way, this is a good method to keep those hubcaps on. It also makes it just that little harder for thieves to pinch them.

Ever since one came off on the Clyde Mountain over 20 years ago, I have used this method. It took two hours to find the damn thing. If you lose one, you're in for a shock at the price of even secondhand ones. There are also... plastic substitutes...

I use clear cable ties, but have put a black one on here to show the method.

Now, I must redo those pinstripes on the dress rings as years of polishing has almost erased them.

Here is a T-Series with 215.75x15 Bridgestones. In my opinion they suit the car perfectly. Previously it ran 235.70x15 Avons, and they didn't work as well as the slightly smaller Bridgestones or the Michelins, also 215.75x15, before the Bridgestones.

Incidentally, in 1981 I had a set of 15" wheels made for my R-Type so I could run modern tyres. I had been running Pirelli 16" radials, but the load shredded two sets with zesty driving (I was 21 when I first fitted Pirellis, and could amaze and scare the pants off any passenger going through the tunnelled loop from the Cahill onto the Harbour Bridge), and at the time the only other radials available were Michelin 205x16 M+S for Range Rovers or light truck tyres. Yuck. I consulted a tyre engineer at Michelin on rim width. He complained that Rolls-Royce 6JKx15 wheels (ie 6" wide), as used on Shadows, Spirits, Eights and Mulsannes as standard equipment, are far too narrow for a 235.70x15 tyre, and suggested I use 215.75x15 on a 7Jx15 wheel, so I do. I measured up the mudguards, and found that a 215 on a 7" rim would fit comfortably beforehand of course. He told me that the biggest tyre he would ever put on a 6" rim is a 215, and it was well known in the industry that R-R always used rims too narrow for the tyres fitted to them. That's why I chose the 215s for the T-Series. They look the part and perform very well indeed. Certainly, a 215 has its sidewalls better angled on a 6" rim than does a 235, and there is less tendency to scrub. Food for debate ?

RT.

David M
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 15 March, 2005 - 12:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your responses. They certainly helped. It amazes me that tyres and tyre pressure can ignite such a debate (I'm replacing tyres on one of my other cars- a Peugeot 205 GTI, and a thread on Aussiefrogs.com has over 300 posts on the topic). I'll do the ring around today and enquire about the Bridgestones and Michelins.
David

David M
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 15 March, 2005 - 14:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Further searches on the official Australian websites of Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Sumitomo, Toyo, Hankook, Yokohama has yielded interesting results:

Michelin only had one tyre in either 235/70x15 or 225/75x15 sizes and that was for a 4x4. The model was Synchome rated at 102T with Black Walls (BW) for RRP$218.90

Hankook had Optimo H418 with White Walls (WW) 235/70x15 102H, and Zonvac HP W401 (WW) in 225/75x15 102H but this is a winter tyre ie has studs.

Toyo had 800 Plus (WW) in 225/75x15 102S.

Bridgestone had the D694 in 225/75x15 101 (BW) but this is a 4x4 tyre.

Dunlop, Sumitomo, and Yokohana did not list a tyre in either size.

This narrows the choice to either Hankook Optimo or Toyo 800 Plus for a passenger vehicle with white walls. Further phone calls revealed Avon 235/70x15 (WW) for $545, or with black walls for $455. How can a white stripe cost $90?!!

I couldn't find Bridgestone SF325 or Sumitomo SC890 mentioned on the other thread.

David Modistach
New User
Username: bboy_8

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 16 March, 2005 - 15:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Phoned around tyre places today and found that the March 2005 catelogue for Hankook doesn't list the Optimo H418 in 235/70x15 but does have an Optimo 845 in 225/75x15 with WW. Other than this its only the Toyos and Avons that anybody found in their books. Does anyone here know if the Bridgestones or Michelins still available, and if so where? I would prefer these brands as I have owned both before (call me a snob but hey, I drive a Bentley after all!)

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 359
Posted on Wednesday, 16 March, 2005 - 21:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David

Snob or not tonight I had a call from a staff member of Bridgestone to tell me outr beloved SF375's are no longer to be imported because of low demand. But my Sumitomo's are continuing so I am smug but what a bugger eh!

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 11:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yokohama does have a 235/70x15 as I have them on my car for 2 years already. They are Aegis LS-4 whitewalls, and ride beautifully on my car.

http://www.needboost.com/part/yokohama_aegis_ls4_tires/yok-26357/

http://www.epinions.com/content_78403899012

The price keeps this tire away from the snobs :-)

Larry

Jonas TRACHSEL
New User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 15:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Friends

I have the March 2005 issue of Hemmings Motor News (leading US collector-car marketplace) on my desk and on page 621 I find the listing of Coker Tire (www.coker.com) where they list a Michelin XVS 235/70HR15 WW at US $ 349 and on page 620 a BF Goodrich Silverton P235/70R15 with 2.75" WW Width at US $ 175.

On page 623 in an ad from Universal Vintage Tire (www.universaltire.com) they list a 225/75R15 (no brand given) either with WW or Redline at US $ 164 respectively $ 156.

Hope this info is useful for you folks

Jonas

David Modistach
New User
Username: bboy_8

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 20:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Larry and Jonas.
Through the sites you provided I found links to Antique Tyre Suppliers (www.antiquetyres.com.au) in Victoria (Aust.) and have sent them an email. According to their site, they have the Michelin XVS in 235/70x15, Coker Classic in 225/75x15, and the BF Goodrich Silvertown Radial in 235/70x15 (as Jonas listed). I await their reply and will post the availability and prices.