Shadow I Query. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Shadow I Query. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graeme Söderlund
New User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 04 July, 2003 - 17:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone advise me where to find the relay that operates the radio aerial?. It seems that this fused when the battery died in the car park. After replacing the battery, the motor to the radio aerial continued to turn, and all that could be done by the very helpful Service man from RACQ was to disconnect the wires from the bottom of the aerial, and then cut the wires behind the padded side panel alongside the driver. I can fix all of this, but have no idea where to find the said relay.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, 04 July, 2003 - 19:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good Question - do you have a switch to manually raise/lower the aerial or does it go up and down automatically when you turn the radio on/off? Is your radio/tape player in the dash or do you have a centre console with a tape player below the dash?

The most likely location for the relay will be on a board near the radio or, if you have a console, there should be a board on the driver's side of the console behind the side cover which has the speaker connection wiring and the relays for the aerial and to changeover from radio to tape player.

Please post details of what you find and your car's serial number as we wish to set-up a spreadsheet for relay locations on Shadow I's to help people such as yourself as relay positions seem to vary depending on the year the car was made. The manuals for the Shadow II and later cars give the relay locations but unfortunately there is very limited information on Shadow I's.

Richard Treacy
Frequent User
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, 04 July, 2003 - 21:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, I tried to attach the file showing the SS1 relay locations, but the Forum is very restrictive on attachments. I can send full sections of the manuals to you if you have the memory capacity by e-mail. The relay section alone complete requires 520 KB, but I send it page by page in JPEG format at 40k/page.

Graeme,

If you let me know your chassis number, I can e-mail the complete vehicle electrical schematics to you. I don't believe your car has any relays for the aerial. Probably, the switch contact on the dashboard has fused closed.

RT.

RROCA Web Site Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, 04 July, 2003 - 23:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Administrator intrusion:

The attachment limit is in place to prevent excessive download times when viewing topics. This applies most directly to images but attachments per se are not as much as a problem, as they are not automatically loaded with the page. Unfortunately it's often difficult to tell the difference, so the upload limit applies to all files.

If anyone feels the upload limits are too draconian, please drop me a note suggesting a better size limit.

In the meantime, did you know you can send private messages to forum users without knowing their email address? Go to http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/allusers.pl and click on the user's Profile where you'll find a link to send a private message. In these days of SPAM harvesters we should avoid exposing our email addresses to non-members. I trust this utility will help in this regard.

David Gore

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, 04 July, 2003 - 23:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Please send email with full data [520K file] as attachment to:

drh14434@yahoo.com.au

This is my download address for large emails. Am very interested to see your data as my version of TSD2476 has next to nothing about relays.

Richard Treacy
Frequent User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, 04 July, 2003 - 23:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks. I fully understand and encourage this policy ! It's just that I couldn't post a 35 KB JPEG file when the limit is stated as 100 KB, so perhaps my file or graphic format were wrong, but there are of course other ways.

David Gore

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, 05 July, 2003 - 14:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Image size limit is 640 X 480 pixels maximum so if one of these dimensions is exceeded, you are unable to upload image to website regardless of the file size [hence your problem]. Just resize the image using any suitable editing programme [I use ACDSEE which is great once you get to know it] using the option to keep the width/height ratio constant to avoid distortion. A word of advice though; always use the "save as" command for saving the resized image with a different title if you want to keep the higher-definition original - if you use the normal "save" command, you lose your original size image.

Chris - will post some comments later in the moderator forum for consideration.

Graeme Söderlund
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 05 July, 2003 - 19:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks everyone.

The aerial USED to operate off a switch on the dash....however, this has been changed and the aerial now (or did) go up and down when the ignition was turned on. Yes, the car has a centre console mounted radio, which doesn't work and has been left in position. I have had a Stereo system mounted in the centre of the dash above the air vent...which all fits together rather well. I had intended taking the old radio out and fitting the new system there, but this would have required judicious patchwork. As fitted now, all seems to be neat and tidy.

I will attempt to locate the switch mentioned and see if that has fused closed. Will advise my findings.

Regards,

Graeme.

David Gore

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, 05 July, 2003 - 19:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graeme,

Definitely an after-market installation which makes things a little complicated - the later electronic push-button memory radio/player units have two extra leads, one is to provide a permanent always-on power supply from the clock/cigarette lighter circuit to retain the station presets concurrent with the normal power supply which is controlled by the ignition switch. The second lead is a feed to the antenna which controls the up/down function when the radio is turned on/off either at the radio or by the ignition switch.

I suggest your problem will be either in the radio itself or at the antenna. You mentioned the antenna motor kept running instead of switching off when the aerial was fully extended/retracted - this motor is normally controlled by limit switches and a "throw-over" relay so my money is on the power antenna being at fault and not the car's wiring.

Please let us know the solution to this problem.

Richard Treacy
Frequent User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, 05 July, 2003 - 22:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the aerial is automatic, the problem is in the radio region, as the aerial should be powered for a fixed time when the radio is turned off and on. As stated, the aftermarket arrangement complicates things as an external relay or timer relay may have been added and it may have fused its contacts or the timer may have failed. However, if you fail to find the problem yourself, any autoelectrician worth his salt can repair it rather quickly.

Richard Treacy
Prolific User

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, 05 July, 2003 - 22:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

CORRECTION

I have checked the basic design of automatic aerials. This applies to generic automatic aerials, including those on my Turbo R and BMW.

The timer relay is located within the aerial itself. Alternatively, some use microswitches to stop the aerial motor. In each case the end result is the same and they are all generally interchangeable if they physically fit.

I believe your system is all fine as the basic function was correct right up to the aerial (ie it lowered itself), but the aerial itself is all that's faulty as it would not stop. You may try to repair the aerial, timer relay or microswitches if fitted, or buy an aftermarket replacement. Also, a seconhand one from the wreckers would be a very cheap and quick fix, and you would have a good choice to find one which fits exactly.

RT.

Graeme Söderlund
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, 06 July, 2003 - 19:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for all the info Richard, David. I spent the weekend working on the car but concentrated on the bodywork. I managed to get the right paint tinted for the repair jobs that had to be undertaken. For anyone in Queensland looking for a tint service,I can thoroughly recommend Autobarn at Slacks Creek (Moss Street). The young guy there had a look at the car, checked his colours and in 5 minutes had managed to not only pick the correct colour, but had added just the right amount of metallic finishand supplied me with filled aerosol cans for the work.

So, the weekend was spent in finishing the filling, sanding filing and preparation of the damaged guard, then today...it rained. So no paintwork done.

I will spend some time during the week doing that job and then next weekend, will take the aerial apart and check to see if the relay is insitu. The original problem stemmed from me starting the car, the aerial starting its journey and then....the battery died! After replacing the battery, I could still hear the aerial motor turning, so this is when the whole thing was disconnected.

I can't help but think, everything was so much easy in the days when I owned my Twenty...No Radio, no computers, nothing that seemed to go wrong, and if we wanted music, we took along a wind up gramophone!

Regards to all,

Graeme.