Driving position Corniche III Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Driving position Corniche III « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Wright
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.84.87.5
Posted on Thursday, 03 July, 2003 - 00:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have recently purchased a Corniche III (LCH30001) and found that the driving position is a little awkward. The distance between the top of the seat swab and the steering wheel made entry to the drivers seat difficult. I am reasonably tall at 6ft ;however, I thought it strange that my head is high enough to be just above the top of the windscreen frame. I believe that some Spirit II's suffered the same problem. How is it overcome? Different angle to the steering column?, Lower seat ? I have already fitted a smaller diameter steering wheel but this only partly solves the problem and masks part of the speedometer.
Any ideas would be most welcome.

Bill Coburn
Frequent User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, 03 July, 2003 - 07:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John
Thanks for that advice. I have a friend with a 1988 Spirit which I drive from time to time. I have an '84 Spur. I can almost fall into my car and I am a similar height to you (probably slightly shorter). But with her car I have to wedge my bum hard into the back of the seat to get my head under the door opening. The seat is certainly right down. The only thought I have had is that the density of the upholstery may be different. The next step I suppose is to get the measuring tape out. The Factory did build some seating to order. I remember a Shadow coupe that had a driver's seat that was some inches longer to accomodate the original owner. Perhaps your car was built for a vertically challenged driver!!!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, 03 July, 2003 - 17:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

I have the same problem with my 1973 Corniche DRH14434 - I am 1.87M tall with long legs and have particular difficulty sliding my legs under the standard steering wheel to get into the car with the seat in the fully lowered position. My wife who is 1.52M tall has the ideal driving position when she lifts the seat up. There is no provision that I am aware of for adjusting the rake of the steering column to provide more space under the wheel in this model.

I suspect there may be spacers under the seat base for initial adjustment of the seat height but have not explored this as yet. The seat squab is relatively high and there is probably some way of lowering it - will be most interested in what solution you find.

(Message edited by david_gore on July 03, 2003)

Richard Treacy
Yet to post message
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, 03 July, 2003 - 19:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it's the same arrangement as on my '87 Turbo R, there is an adjustment for the seat height minimum. The front of the seat is supported by two pairs of brackets 3 cm long with three rivets each, fixing the seat assembly to the electrically operated seat adjustment mechanism. To lower the seat, you drill out the top two rivets and attach the seat by the middle bracket holes with nuts and bolts. Mine has no spacers under the mounts, but maybe your car does.

Richard Treacy
New User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, 03 July, 2003 - 19:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

application/octet-stream
seat.doc (33.8 k)

Richard Treacy
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, 03 July, 2003 - 19:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is the Corniche Seat Mechanism for 30001 chassis from my manual. You will see the bracket at the front (left hand end) which may be shortened to lower the seat.
application/octet-stream
corniche III seat.doc (35.8 k)

David Gore

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, 03 July, 2003 - 22:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the diagrams - there appears to be some differences in the linkages in the early cars however the bracket arrangement may be the same - time to pull a seat out and have a look!

John Wright
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.84.85.211
Posted on Saturday, 05 July, 2003 - 23:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard but my computer does not recognise the file type of the attachment you sent regarding the Corniche III seats. My computer uses Windows XP Home edition.

David Gore

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, 06 July, 2003 - 05:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

If you do not have Word/Microsoft Office installed on your computer, just right-click on the file box in the post and use the "save as" command to save the file on your hard drive. Use Windows explorer/Search function to find file and right-click; use "Open with" command and scroll down to Wordpad/select Wordpad as appropriate and left-click to reveal all. My file downloaded with the extension ".unk" instead of "doc" but it still opens OK.