Working on Camilla 2.0 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Working on Camilla 2.0 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, 14 April, 2021 - 23:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well as 'Working on Camilla' thread is now over 200 posts I'll start this thread so you on't have to scroll down so far, so continuing on,...

-------------------------------------------------

Well today I finished Camilla's polish.

I spent some time on her bright work,...

It could be argued I may have spent a little longer than required when it came to cleaning the lady at the front,.... ;)

But this afternoon I removed the bump strips to clean them just in the boot.

I use cream cleanser and it brings it up nice and shiny,....

I also cleaned inside the fuel lid and where thee fuel cap is,... had a layer or to of shmutz built up over the years in there, now you can see the paint!

Graham.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3920
Posted on Thursday, 15 April, 2021 - 10:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

I always enjoyed doing similar maintenance on DRH14434 and then standing back and admiring the results.

As you have found, you have to experience this feeling to know what real pride can be!

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, 15 April, 2021 - 15:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

David, this is the way I was taught to do things, and your right, there is a element of pride and joy when you step back to see the change it makes.

Its funny but its the little things/ details that seem to make the big difference.

Graham.

AdrianJ
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 51.9.244.53
Posted on Thursday, 15 April, 2021 - 16:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I notice you have a cover cap on the spare wheel carrier lowering rod nut. I guess someone has added that as I have never seen one.
My 'bump strips' I flatted with 2000 grit wet/dry on a piece of wood and machine polished with Farecla G3. Came up like glass :-)

(Message approved by david_gore)

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, 15 April, 2021 - 20:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

I take it the boot seal is stuck down with silicone or some type of glue?

I am looking at replacing mine soon, I have the replacement already,.... just need to fit it when I get time.

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 766
Posted on Thursday, 15 April, 2021 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The boot seal is stuck down with a 2 pack glue and a protective primer is applied to the channel painted surface before the glue is applied. The glue & primer are available from Flying Spares.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 682
Posted on Thursday, 15 April, 2021 - 21:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trunk seal positioning is important and preparation is key. The old seal has to be removed and assisted with a plastic scraper.
The adhesive is "contact cement".

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 392
Posted on Friday, 16 April, 2021 - 00:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Thanks Larry and Robert.

I'll look into those.

Yeah mine is stuck in there very well, Its gone hard but still seals and dose'nt leak but its starting to crack so I'm going to replace it before it leaks, I want to be ahead of this before it becomes an actual issue.

Graham.

AdrianJ
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 51.9.244.53
Posted on Friday, 16 April, 2021 - 06:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try some GummiPhledge think it's called or similar, softens up rubber with repeated use and may resolve the need to change it - a fiddly job to get right.
T-One Topics has a good and comprehensive article on fitting boot seal.

David Gore

Post Number: 3922
Posted on Friday, 16 April, 2021 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My partner's "other car" is a VW Eos convertible which has a "hard top" folding roof with an integral opening sunroof as well. This has a multitude of seals all of which could be a potential source of water leaks.

To minimise this problem, a seal preservative Krytox GPL105 has been found to be the most effective preservative and for maintaining the seal suppleness necessary for effective sealing of this complex structure.

https://www.krytox.com/en/products/general-purpose-lubricants

Her car is 12 years old and the seals still look brand-new, retain their original suppleness and continue to provide an absence of air and water leaks. I lubricate the seals twice a year, once at the beginning of Spring and the second at the beginning of Autumn. The mearest smear of the lubricant is all that is required and I use the tip of my finger to apply and distribute the lubricant over the seal surfaces. The lubricant is expensive for the amount involved however a container as shown in the link below lasts between 3 and 5 years depending on the frequency of application.

https://www.amazon.com/GENUINE-Lubricant-Perfluoropolyether-Industrial-Bottle/dp/B0096VNMZO

eos

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 393
Posted on Friday, 16 April, 2021 - 09:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Adrian, most Shadows I have seen have the cap on the spare tyre bolt though a couple were a little torn up.

The boot seal in Camilla has small cracks in it and has gone hard. this is why I want to replace it before it starts to leak. I can use a conditioner on this seal but it won't fix the cracks already in it, I won't to start with a fresh seal.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, 05 May, 2021 - 19:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Last time I took Camilla out I just got her back into the safe confines of her workshop a couple of minutes after it had started to rain.

That was a couple of days ago.

Today I went to pay Camilla visit.

I had noted before that the fuel weakner filter rattled because the filter itself was loose inside.

So today I removed the filter housing.

I cleaned the inside of the housing,....

I was surprised to see how little of the foam that surounded the filter element remained, no wonder it rattled!

So to fix this I have some rubber that I got a while ago to put under the fuel tank straps on my Deuce and a Half.

I then cut off enough to go around the outside of the filter housing and then cut that again in half length ways,...

I made a gasket out of cork for the bottom, then refitted the filter, I'll replace this with a new one later and then fitted the rubber strip.

It holds the filter in firmly and looks neat.

You'll notice I left a gap for air and vapor.

Next time I take it off I'll sand off the old paint and repaint the housing, then fit the new filter.

And then refitted.

So after that small job I wiped down Camilla of any road grime and applied a light coating of polish,...

I'll buff this off tomorrow.

Graham.

Adrianj
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 146.200.18.72
Posted on Wednesday, 05 May, 2021 - 21:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Would the paper filter be not effective unless bonded to the base of the metal canister?

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 400
Posted on Thursday, 06 May, 2021 - 10:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

As long as the filter element is held firmly on the base so air can;t get past, hence the cork gasket, the rubber seal i fitted holds the filter
itself in place and hard on the cork gasket.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 401
Posted on Sunday, 09 May, 2021 - 10:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

It was suggested that in regard to Camilla's charging issue that I disconnect the earth wire from thermal switches and see if that fix's the charging issue.

I have now tried that with no change.

So back to the fault being in the alternator itself.

Graham.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 731
Posted on Sunday, 09 May, 2021 - 21:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having regard to the exhorbitant price of this part, would it be possible to drill the case to take 2 long 4mm bolts passing through the centre of the filter, through the endcap drilled to match secured with locknuts.the filter could then be changed using a suitable motorcycle, garden machine etc air filter or fuel filter cartridge.The Shadow1 filter is more difficult but is possible if the housing is cut.
Mark.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, 10 May, 2021 - 19:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

That's not a bad idea!

Graham.

TimNorth
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 31.53.63.53
Posted on Monday, 10 May, 2021 - 22:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't have the dimensions to hand but K & N do little crankcase breather filters which would do the job, fit in the existing case and unless you drive in sandstorms never need replacing. Cost about £30 UK

https://www.knfilters.co.uk/vent.htm

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 408
Posted on Saturday, 12 June, 2021 - 15:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well the other day the new under bonnet seal arrived so I just need to fit that though it looks like it will need some modification to fit at the corners.

Still have the charging issue to work out,.....

Tried the suggestion with the thermal switches with no change.

Everything suggests the problem is in the alternator itself.

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 689
Posted on Saturday, 12 June, 2021 - 20:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A charcoal filter and PCV filter are 2 different filters. RR has a flame trap for a PCV.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 409
Posted on Sunday, 13 June, 2021 - 17:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

last evening I took off the old seal, it seems it was stuck on with some adhesive.

Had to go out today so had to put it back on before I left.

Tomorrow I'll clean the gutter so I can fit the new seal, though I will have to modify it at the corners.

Camilla ran like a dream today by the way,...

I will have to polish her again though,....

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 412
Posted on Sunday, 18 July, 2021 - 10:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well today was supposed to be the day I went on a trip to Daylesford with Camilla for high tea.

Thanks to certain fake narratives this trip has been postponed again.

On the bright side, the sun is out after a week or more of rain and I will now get the chance to fit Camilla's new bonnet seal.

So I'll get a chance to play with Camilla today.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 415
Posted on Monday, 19 July, 2021 - 17:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Well today I finally got to fit Camilla's new bonnet seal,...

Was a bit of a pain getting it to fit but I was'nt defeated.

Now The bonnet won't close easy,.. it sits higher because the seal will not compress enough.

Hopefully the bonnet will close all the way when the seal starts to compress, and I hope very soon!

Graham.

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 684
Posted on Monday, 19 July, 2021 - 18:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You could try adjusting the mechanism with the rod that sits astride the heater box to get it to sit properly - scribe the 2 plates on the ends first and tie some wires to the little lever on the offside to come out near the air intake scuttle so you can still open it if you overdo things.

I'm about to reset mine by trial & error after discovering my scribe marks disappeared when I washed the grease and grunge off prior to painting!

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 685
Posted on Monday, 19 July, 2021 - 20:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

P.s.

So that's what it's for! After reading this thread I just discovered a spare wheel nut cover in my scrap rubber box. It's obviously been sitting there for 14 years (might come in handy one day) since it arrived with a bag of old bits that had been replaced by the previous owner.

What's this then? I *know* what it looks like Johnny but why do I have it?

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 690
Posted on Monday, 19 July, 2021 - 20:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Seal is too proud. Where did you source the seal from?

David Gore

Post Number: 3962
Posted on Monday, 19 July, 2021 - 20:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

If you can get to a Dive Shop, get some Krytox GPL105 liquid or grease that they use for protecting and preserving the seals and polymer components in breathing regulators and associated equipment.

These products are very effective in keeping seals and other components soft and supple for extended periods of time especially where exposure to sun and atmospheric ozone is prevalent.

The merest smear rubbed into the components with a finger turns the hardest grey seal into a soft, supple matt black item that can be reshaped with a finger to restore the original shape and sealing performance.

Expensive? Yes but a little goes a very long way. I have a 50ml bottle of the liquid costing around $90 10 years ago that has done 10 treatments of the folding roof and door seals of my partner's VW Eos convertible; they still look and perform like a brand new seals and I have at least 2 more treatments to go before the bottle will be exhausted. The trick is to put a series of drops of the liquid along the seal and then massage it into the seal with the tip of your finger. You only need enough liquid to put a thin layer on the seal surface, your finger and time does the rest.

If you cannot find a local source, it is readily available through Amazon. Don't be tempted by alternatives such as Gummi Pflege which are water-based rather synthetic oil based like GPL105 as these have a significantly lower service life before requiring retreatment. As always, the first cost is not the last cost and the performance will be remembered long after the price is forgotten.

It is highly probable your bonnet seal has been in storage for an extended time and has hardened due to loss of suppleness hence the difficulty in closing your bonnet flush with the vehicle body. Based on my experience with the Eos, a height variation similar to that shown in your photograph would be rectified by a properly fitted and lubricated seal.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 416
Posted on Monday, 19 July, 2021 - 23:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Thanks David.

The new seal is, well, new.

Its a slightly different shape because the old one over time was reshaped by the bonnet pressing on it. Its the same shape seal but because its new the rubber is effectively thicker though softer, it needs to be compressed a bit. I know of a few dive shops so will give that Krytox a try. I should get some in a couple of days. Thanks for that info.

Graham.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Tuesday, 20 July, 2021 - 01:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham

Are you sure the seal goes through the 90 degree bends at either end. On all the car engine bays I have seen the bonnet seal is cut to the length of the top channel. It's worth checking before making any adjustments.

a

b

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2448
Posted on Tuesday, 20 July, 2021 - 07:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is the original standard seal fitted to SS2 completely different to a SS1

This is the SS1 set up!

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Tuesday, 20 July, 2021 - 08:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

I've just checked the parts manual and you are right, the seal does extend forward by about a foot each side. The interesting difference in your photo to Graham's is the seal in your pic appears to be cut, jointed and glued at the corners whereas on Graham's car the seal is bent around the corners, causing the seal to lift, which may be obstructing the bonnet when closing.

a

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, 20 July, 2021 - 10:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

The old seal I replaced is exactly like the one in Patricks first photo.

The new seal was just a straight piece of the same strip. I had to cut out a small piece on the inside to get it to bend 90 deg at the corners.

The little rise you see at the very corner is'nt enough to cause the gap you see in the bonnet to the body, its the whole strip that dose'nt compress/flatten enough because its new even though its softer.

I did notice on the old seal it looks like the seal has been cut to allow it to fold over more along the back.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 418
Posted on Thursday, 22 July, 2021 - 18:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well after a few days to let things settle I went out to my workshop to give Camilla a little TLC.

I raised the bonnet and started her to let her warm up.

This is the new seal from the side.

You can see how the new seal is thicker and the sealing surface is round.

This is the old seal, same view.

You can see how much thinner the seal is, also you can see the round sealing surface has been cut to allow the seal to fold over more,...

When I closed the bonnet it seems to be sitting lower though the drivers side is still the highest, I'd say its due to the corner where it folds around, should I maybe modify it at the corner?

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 691
Posted on Thursday, 22 July, 2021 - 20:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Original seals are mitered at the corner and fused and extend approx a foot along the wing.It appears your replacement is not the same profile , hence the height issue.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, 22 July, 2021 - 23:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well its from Prestige parts through the local RR club so you'd think it would fit right out of the box,....

Graham.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2451
Posted on Friday, 23 July, 2021 - 05:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you were close by I would sort it out for you in exchange for your time to get a super shine on my car, credit where its due, mirror image!
Still have the old Dunlop valcaniser with attachments

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 421
Posted on Sunday, 01 August, 2021 - 16:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Well today I removed the bonnet seal and then cut it along the trailing edge so it will be able to fold over the back into the drain channel like the old one was doing.

Now the bonnet close's a lot better.

There is still a slight gap at the corners but they should compress right down with a little more time.

Getting there,...

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 422
Posted on Saturday, 07 August, 2021 - 01:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Yesterday afternoon I trimmed off the corner of the bonnet seal and now it sits a lot better.

Much better now.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 423
Posted on Saturday, 14 August, 2021 - 00:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Took Camilla out for some exercise today,...

Graham.

Moderator Advice: I have referred the content back to Graham for his assessment.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 425
Posted on Tuesday, 31 August, 2021 - 10:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Yesterday I took Camilla out for some exercise.

We id about 200 klms.

flawless!

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 426
Posted on Friday, 03 September, 2021 - 10:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Yesterday Camilla an I went to Bendigo.

Now have just under 500mls to go till I'll do her next service.

That will make 120,000mls.

I'll then do her service every 5,000mls.

One thing that stands out is, since Camilla came into my care and the more She has been driven the less oil she is going through.

Graham.

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 690
Posted on Friday, 03 September, 2021 - 14:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's all great news Graham. I'm about to finally move to Melbourne (plague & governments permitting). I'm moving from a 2 entrance 2 garage corner block into a 1 bedroom flat in a skyscraper. Hence, I will be downsizing my extensive collection of spare parts. I will be looking for the occasional space to do a bit of minor fettling as well. Perhaps we could meet up sometime to compare notes?

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 427
Posted on Saturday, 04 September, 2021 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Jeff, that would be great.

I have a small workshop to provide TLC, even if it rains,...

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, 08 September, 2021 - 21:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

I think the bonnet on Camilla has finally settled into place.

The seal as compressed enough for it to sit right.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, 09 September, 2021 - 10:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Seals have compressed enough for the bonnet to sit flat again.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 430
Posted on Monday, 13 September, 2021 - 12:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Yesterday I spent about an hour going over Camilla's leather with saddle soap again.

Its softening up nicely.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, 16 September, 2021 - 21:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Tomorrow I'm going to collect this:

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 432
Posted on Friday, 17 September, 2021 - 20:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Got it!

And here is my own analog gear.

Will get to play with it tomorrow.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 433
Posted on Saturday, 18 September, 2021 - 16:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwWL1KYrc8I

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 440
Posted on Friday, 22 October, 2021 - 16:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well Camilla has sat for 6 weeks so today I took her for a run out to Bendigo.

By the time I got back she is now less than 50mls away from 120,000 so this Sunday I'll do a service on her.

Then give her a wash and detail.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 445
Posted on Sunday, 31 October, 2021 - 16:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well since our last trip out Camilla has about 15 ish litres in her tank, I have gotten a 5 litres of commercial grade injector cleaner and have put 1 litre into Camilla's tank.

I put a litre into my daily driver and my sisters car.

Also put about 200mls into the lawn mower,...

The other day I went to do a service on Camilla and the Hex tool in the tool kit dose'nt fit the sump drain plug,...?

It never rains but it just pours,....

sigh,....

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 446
Posted on Thursday, 11 November, 2021 - 15:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

What size is the tool I need to undo the sump drain plug?

Graham.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2291
Posted on Friday, 12 November, 2021 - 01:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use a 14mm allen socket. It's a perfect fit on my car for the sump plug and also the two diff plugs. My car is a 74 SY1 - not sure if it's the same on a series 2.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2292
Posted on Friday, 12 November, 2021 - 02:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just thought - I may have dressed the allen socket with a file - can't remember as it was 8 years ago. Maybe best to ignore my last posting (unless you are handy with a file)

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 711
Posted on Friday, 12 November, 2021 - 02:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You don't want to mess up the sump plug, pricey to replace. Buy a few washers.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2293
Posted on Friday, 12 November, 2021 - 07:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly sells them:

https://www.britishtoolworks.com/product-page/sump-plug-socket

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 712
Posted on Friday, 12 November, 2021 - 08:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

His Britool is stainless and beautifully made.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Friday, 12 November, 2021 - 08:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham

With reference to your question "What size is the tool I need to undo the sump drain plug?" Kelly gives the answer 0.525" or 67/128". I doubt you can find these easily, especially at the price Kelly is asking, so my advice is to order one from Kelly. As Wraithman say's it will be stainless and beautifully made. Also, given it is a small part, international postage should not be prohibitive.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 447
Posted on Friday, 12 November, 2021 - 08:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Just ordered the tool from Kelly.

$93.00 AUD shipped.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 448
Posted on Saturday, 13 November, 2021 - 12:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Tool just shipped.

Happy dance!!,.....

Graham.

Kelly Opfar
Frequent User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, 14 November, 2021 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

By the way, that's $61USD. Graham paid for express shipping so it will be there quick. There are cheaper shipping options.
https://www.britishtoolworks.com/product-page/sump-plug-socket

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 449
Posted on Sunday, 14 November, 2021 - 09:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Correct.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, 19 November, 2021 - 12:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Fingers crossed I can go collect Camilla tomorrow.

Last Sat I dropped her off to get the charging issue sorted plus the plugs changed in B3-B4 including the ignition leads,....

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 452
Posted on Friday, 19 November, 2021 - 14:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Arrived today!

Now to get Camilla back and do the service.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 453
Posted on Friday, 19 November, 2021 - 14:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

WOOO HOOOOOOOO!

Camilla is ready to be picked up tomorrow!

Well, Camilla is all sorted!

Tony has decided to just give me his alternator, the one that works perfectly.

They still cannot figure out why the one I had dose not work.

It works when bench tested but just dose not work in Camilla.

It has them stumped.

They are going to pull it apart AGAIN an test each and every component.

Tony will keep mine and I get his good one.

Its almost like Camilla is rejecting the one she was provided with but loves Tony's shop alternator!

Also the plugs and leads are done.

He will -mail me the invoice later so I know how much to bring with me,....

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 454
Posted on Friday, 19 November, 2021 - 19:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Forgot to mention, B3 was stiff but B4 was seized.

Tony got it out by soaking it in oil and working it back and forward to get it out, seems it has'nt been touched in a while,.....

Hmmmm,....

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 456
Posted on Sunday, 21 November, 2021 - 17:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Today I started the service (my first) on Camilla.

My drain pan just has enough capacity, I'll let her drain over night as I do with all my vehicles.

Got to christen the new tool from Kelly,.... ;)

The drain plug was very tight!

I had to hit the socket bar very hard with a hammer to break it loose, came out just fine after that.

Dose anyone else's have that notch in it?

Looks like its there to drive the plug around with a wedge to break the plug loose,...?

Also, the flat between the threads and head of the plug had what seems to be remnants of a fibrous material, gas tape maybe to help seal?

I cleaned that off.

Good thing the drain is at the back so I can leave Camilla on the ramps.

While the oil was draining I used some 2000 grit paper to clean the 'Rolls Royce' on the rocker cover.

All work is of course, supervised!

Tomorrow I'll change the filter and then refill with oil,... (after I put the drain plug back!)

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 713
Posted on Sunday, 21 November, 2021 - 22:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The sump plug does not have the cut as pictured. The Britool along with a breaker bar and a pipe slid over the breaker bar will give you more leverage. Never "whack" a tool. It's bad practice. Plugs are often over tightened due to NOT replacing the sealing washer. Simply tighten as needed.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 311
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2021 - 03:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That wedge shape looks like damage from someone using a hard screw driver to get the plug out.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2021 - 04:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks to me like a previous owner used a chisel to try and undo the plug.

Since this is your first oil change on your car I thought I'd add the following, although I am sure you know all this:

Make sure you fit a new aluminum sealing washer - you will be able to buy one from your local auto store - take the plug with you for the right size.

Be ultra careful you align the oil filter housing and oil bowl perfectly. Use the new oil ring that should be supplied with the filter. It is possible to get the filter bowl jammed against the lip of the housing. From underneath all will look ok but when you crank the engine the oil will pour out through the small gap. Don't ask me how I know this.

Apologies if you know all this - thought I'd add the comments just in case.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2296
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2021 - 04:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff - we posted at the same(ish) time. I concur.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 312
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2021 - 04:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Forums are odd that way Geoff.
My plug has Vice-Grip marks on it.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 714
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2021 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also, when removing the old element, lay the bits out and take a pic so re-assembly is easier.. memory can play games.
I would also pull out the coil lead to prime the system with fresh oil.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2021 - 09:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The order is also documented in tee-one topics chapter 68 page 952.

http://rrtechnical.info/TeeOne/TO68.pdf

TimNorth
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 31.53.122.223
Posted on Sunday, 21 November, 2021 - 22:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The sealing washer being, of course, an aluminium one.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 798
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2021 - 13:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is a Silver Shadow 11 so should have a spin-on oil filter.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, 22 November, 2021 - 16:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rui1YXYH4-c

Graham.

Kelly Opfar
Frequent User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, 23 November, 2021 - 14:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The aluminum sump washers have a 1" ID.
I have new sump plugs made with a thicker flange and a properly fitting deeper internal hex for better tool engagement.

These also fit the final drive fill and drain ports and the fuel tank.

https://www.britishtoolworks.com/product-page/sump-plug-ug526

sump plug

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 458
Posted on Thursday, 25 November, 2021 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhLszREwsgU

Graham.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 736
Posted on Friday, 26 November, 2021 - 00:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham

That would have cost you 255 dollars on UK

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 461
Posted on Thursday, 16 December, 2021 - 17:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well today I took Camilla out for the day.

This is her second trip since her service and so far

the charging issue is gone. Solved.

Picture it,... Graham doing 'Happy Dance!'

Today I saw another Shadow, this one was an older

one, faded blueish color COVERED IN DUST!

Desperately in need of a wash!

May have been a 'barn find' being taken home for

all I know.

Guy had a smile on his face though,...

Nuff said!

And Camilla, ran flawless!

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, 19 December, 2021 - 08:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Yesterday was my Mothers Birthday.

We went out cruising around looking at the houses

all done up with Christmas lights,....

First time she has been out after dark since the

charging issue has been sorted.

I guess last night was the BIG test.

A/C on,.. headlights on, and always in charge.

Very happy!

Graham.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 319
Posted on Sunday, 19 December, 2021 - 17:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I love going out and looking at Christmas lights !
When I was little we'd go out in my Granddads 58 Biscayne with the family.
That was around 1970 to 75.

Thanks for the nice memory Graham !

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 465
Posted on Tuesday, 21 December, 2021 - 15:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Graham.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 320
Posted on Tuesday, 21 December, 2021 - 17:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Eric Molenaar
New User
Username: aussiewraith78

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, 21 December, 2021 - 23:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice one Graham, i bet your mum had a great time.
Also Camilla is looking pristine
Merry Christmas to you and all the forum members.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 474
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2022 - 14:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Saturday just gone we went for a trip to portarlington for a BBQ picnic.

Was a great day out.

On the way there was a harsh dry binding sound I was hearing,...

I tracked it down to the fan, I'm thinking the electric motor bearing needs a little lube,...

Its not constant, it comes on for about 10-20 seconds then go's away,...

Other than that it was a fantastic day.

The next day I took her to the Trentham car show.

Was another great day with the exception of having to wipe all the sticky finger prints off her at the end of the day,...

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 821
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2022 - 21:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If your electric fan is kicking in there is a problem in the cooling system or with the fan switch on the thermostat housing. If the electric fan was kicking in while the car was stationery it's possible that your viscous fan is worn out or the fan belt is loose. If it was kicking in while the car was moving your radiator fins may be clogged with crud causing reduced airflow. The electric fan only starts when there's an overheating risk or malfunction in the system.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 475
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2022 - 08:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Sorry, my bad, when I say fan I'm talking about the fan for the climate control, the noise seems to be coming from behind the speedo, I originally thought it may be a dry speedo cable till I worked out it was the fan by trial and error. will have to take some video. Oh an it only seems to happen when the fan is set on LOW but not on Auto.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 479
Posted on Wednesday, 13 April, 2022 - 20:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

I need to remove the grill, how do I remove the spirit of ecstasy?

Or do they come off as one unit?

I have a slight leak in the oil cooler for the power steering,....

Thanks.

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 770
Posted on Wednesday, 13 April, 2022 - 23:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Spirit is removed thru the hole directly inline from the back. It is a 5.5mm allen and should be in the tool kit. There is a set screw holding it in place. Removing the base is a much different procedure.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 480
Posted on Thursday, 14 April, 2022 - 03:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Thanks Robert.

I found a u-tube vid on removing the grill, Looks like its just 6 bolts.

I don't think even I could mess that up,...

;)

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 771
Posted on Thursday, 14 April, 2022 - 04:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When the 2 small hoses get old at the power steering cooler they tend to weep fluid and best to replace.

Use a better hose clamp that is used for fuel lines, one that is more of a band that doesn't dig into the hose.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Thursday, 14 April, 2022 - 04:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I replaced my cooler hoses I found it easier to remove the cooler in order to get the new hoses on. The gap between the cooler and the pipes was too small to fit the hoses without removing the cooler. Luckily it was very easy to remove the cooler.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 482
Posted on Wednesday, 04 May, 2022 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

The other day in preparation for Mothers day I gave Camilla a coat of wax/polish.

I also gave her bright work a polish.

Today I spent a couple of hours buffing off the wax/polish.

I also re polished her bright work.

And tomorrow I'll do the white of her white walls,...

My OCD when it comes to my motor pool,...

I also do the antenna.

And you know who gets some attention,...

Back at it in the morning,....

Graham.

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 361
Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2022 - 03:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, don't paint the whitewalls, just use SOS steel wool pads with water to clean them. It is much easier than painting them.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 775
Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2022 - 05:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A most often used product is
"Bleche-wite" for whitewalls with a brass brush.
Steel wool has known to disintegrate and leave fibers that rust. A no no

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Magic-800002222-Bleche-Wite-Cleaner/

Also Comet and Barkeepers Friend

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 483
Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2022 - 10:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Ok, maybe I'll try toothpaste and a toothbrush first.

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2022 - 11:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

FYI too mild, need a bit more grit

John Rowney
Experienced User
Username: johnrowney

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2022 - 12:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use Gumption paste. It is cheap and readily available in the supermarket. I have tried everything else - steel wool, expensive whitewall cleaners, solvents of all types etc. Gumption is the easiest to use, less mess and does a good job on the whitewalls on my Corniche as well as my 1938 Wraith.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2022 - 13:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use Dutch Cleanser and a good stiff brush (a nail brush).
You would be there for a month of Sunday's with tooth paste and a tooth brush.

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2022 - 15:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've owned cars with whitewalls for almost 40 years, including a 47 Packard with 4 inch whitewalls which I still have. I've always used SOS pads, not plain steel wool, and have never seen any sign of rust bits on any of them. Use a new pad every time, one SOS pad does four tires, and you will never have any problems with rust stains. They do an excellent job quickly.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 484
Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2022 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Hey, I have Gumption!

Pitty I read this afterwords,....

Will give it a try tomorrow.

But today,...

Cleaned, not as good as when it was new but a LOT better than it was.

And did all these as well,....

Graham.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 775
Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2022 - 20:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham in the UK there is a cleaner "Elbow Grease". Works well on whitewalls and on general grime including light filth on engines. Excellent in the house also. Worth trying if available in Aus.

Peter Maclaren
Experienced User
Username: ludo

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, 06 May, 2022 - 14:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham there is a good aussie product called "gumption" which sounds a bit like the UK cleaner.
available in supermarkets as a houshold cleaner it is surprisingly effective and inexpensive.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 486
Posted on Saturday, 07 May, 2022 - 15:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well today I did the final touches before tomorrows Mothers day outing,...

Got out my Gumption.

Did'nt do that much to the whitewalls as the majority was done yesterday.

I did do the bumpers and tyres,....

Yes, I went there,...

And now the outside,....

Well I think I'm about ready for tomorrow.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 487
Posted on Saturday, 07 May, 2022 - 15:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BOHyut9JLc

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 520
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2022 - 16:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Was out and about until zero dark thirty from yesterday afternoon.

On the way home I missed a roo.

Also 2 k's from home I heard the fuse blow and I lost the right high beam light.

Oh, and as it was so cold out I had the ICE warning light come on a few times,...

I'm sure there was no connection but I passed a few cars that had slipped off the road or into barriers,...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIeIq5W7Z3E

Graham

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 794
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2022 - 20:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, must be something in the air ! Came home last night on one headlight in the MG, fine last week but found a corroded earth this morning !
Mark

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 522
Posted on Tuesday, 26 July, 2022 - 16:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Started Camilla for the first time in 2 weeks.

Power steering fluid was way down so topped it off.

Surprisingly engine oil was right on the money considering last trip out she did almost 300 miles.

Fired right up!

Forgot to tend to that blown fuse I was so happy.

Ok, job for tomorrow.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 523
Posted on Friday, 29 July, 2022 - 13:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Went out to the workshop and cleaned the road grime off Camilla from her last trip out a couple of weeks ago.

Found this screw loose above the hand brake.

Also found these screws needed tightening up on the drivers door.

Removed an old sticker,...

Also bit the bullet and had look at the floor pan in the drivers foot well, I wanted to see if there was any rust as water comes in a stuck open vent when it rains into the foot well and thee carpet gets wet.

Pleasantly surprised at the lack of corrosion.

Doing happy dance,....

Graham.

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, 02 August, 2022 - 17:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham,
Have you cleaned out the restrictors at the bottom of the scuttle/heater box drain tubes?

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 524
Posted on Wednesday, 03 August, 2022 - 14:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Not yet Mark but will look at the very soon,....

Keeping all drains open and unblocked is always a good thing.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 526
Posted on Thursday, 08 September, 2022 - 00:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

1.000 mile's to go to next service.

I'm doing the service every 5,000 miles.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 527
Posted on Thursday, 08 September, 2022 - 23:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Got two oil filters today.

Also found a unicorn!

Got an original battery box strap!

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 528
Posted on Friday, 09 September, 2022 - 15:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

1st, The oil filters I was supplied with are wrong.

2nd, The new strap dose'nt look long enough,....

Will find out for sure when I finish.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, 08 November, 2022 - 21:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well after 5-6 weeks of sitting, I started Camilla.

It was a warm sunny day and was perfect to take her for a run.

She started as if I had only just shut her down.

She ran flawless.

Looking forward to the next time I get to take her out.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 531
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2022 - 23:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Well I found the rear exhaust hanger broken.

I know when it happened, will fix it again.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 532
Posted on Friday, 16 December, 2022 - 21:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Fixed Camilla's exhaust hanger.

Just in time to take her out in a few days.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 533
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2022 - 21:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Tomorrow I start Camilla's 125,000 mile service.

Graham.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2545
Posted on Tuesday, 20 December, 2022 - 03:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

(I know when it happened, will fix it again.)

Well what was the cause or is it a big secret.

I know of many causes!!!

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 534
Posted on Tuesday, 20 December, 2022 - 08:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

The night we had a dinner to celebrate my mothers life we drove a friend to the station where she parked her car. She had forgotten exactly where her car was so at one point I had to do a U turn and I went over a gutter, the rear mufflers hit the curb and thats when the rear mounts broke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab2yvaaf7CA

And going home at some un godly hour in the morning afterwards,...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIeIq5W7Z3E

Graham

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 535
Posted on Sunday, 25 December, 2022 - 11:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Oh, forgot to mention,...

Camilla's service done.

Running flawless!

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 537
Posted on Tuesday, 31 January, 2023 - 18:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Spent just over an hour yesterday polishing Camilla.

I still have the boot and bonnet to finish after I post this.

Camilla's leak in her radiator needs attention next.

sigh,...

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 539
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2023 - 12:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Well looks like I have to wait a few more months before I can get the radiator and trans service done due to scheduling conflicts,....

sigh,...

Graaham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 541
Posted on Friday, 07 April, 2023 - 01:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Serious question,....

Was just watching a U-tube video, This guy got a new

seal for the headlight bezel, did ALL shadows have a seal between the bezel and the body?

I've not seen a shadow with this seal before.

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 826
Posted on Friday, 07 April, 2023 - 01:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, check the parts listing on the Bentley Heritage site.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 542
Posted on Friday, 07 April, 2023 - 10:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Great! Now I have to get these seals,...

Camilla dose'nt have any, just like every other

shadow I've seen.

sigh,...

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 543
Posted on Saturday, 08 April, 2023 - 21:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Today I sent off my inquiry about the bezel seals and headlight seals,....

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 827
Posted on Sunday, 09 April, 2023 - 03:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Note: There is a "distance" piece between the bezel and body, and it goes in one way, notice the internal bevel of the piece. They are often installed the wrong way. Also the bezel simply hangs from the top edge and secured by the single screw.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 544
Posted on Monday, 10 April, 2023 - 23:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5rmCMzokpE

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 545
Posted on Sunday, 16 April, 2023 - 01:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

A new set of seals for the head lights and the bezels...

$250 I'm looking at,....

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2023 - 14:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Seals ordered and confirmed!

Graham.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 2324
Posted on Monday, 17 April, 2023 - 16:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham

Thanks for the heads up on this - I discovered the headlamps on my car needed the seals as well. 100 gbp from Flying Spares (+ shipping). Arrives tomorrow UPS.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 547
Posted on Sunday, 23 April, 2023 - 18:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Took the headlight bezels off in readiness for when the new seals arrive.

I'm thinking wrong seal a past guardian tried?

Polish in progress,...

Done.

A fun day was had by all,...

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 548
Posted on Monday, 24 April, 2023 - 16:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Today I did a little more polishing,....

I also removed the right hand lights.

Why I hear you ask,...

Because the right side high beam light globe has

blown so I removed it. Its only a 55 Watt globe.

I'm thinking of going to 100 Watt globes,...

Also the previous guardian replaced all the

headlights so now the driving lights have a H4

55/60 Watt globe in it,...

If I replace those with a 90/100 H4 globe like I

have in my daily driver,.... And I was thinking if

I bridged the high beam to the high in the H4

globe I'd in effect have 4 high beam lights,...

My only concerns are, will the current draw be to

much for what looks to me to be light weight

wiring? And 2nd, if I bridged the high element in

the H4 globe that would mean BOTH high and driving

light elements would be on at the same time so I'm

concerned about the heat generated,...?

Thoughts?

I'm happy to just go to 100 Watt high beam globes

as a minimum,... I can just switch the driving

lights to the 60 Watt element for that little

extra sparkle,..... ;)

Graham

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 374
Posted on Monday, 24 April, 2023 - 18:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Be aware that because the headlights are only 5 3/4" units they can not dissipate the heat from the bulbs as quickly as 7" units as used on some later RR/Bs. This may burn the reflector surface. (How do I know this? Because a Spirit which I bought as a basket case had the (plastic) headlamp bodies melted above the 100/60 Watt bulbs?). The (usually) metal 5 3/4" units may be proof against this - someone on this forum may say so.

PLUS the wiring feeding the headlamps in most Shadows is a bit puny (I can not speak for later Shadows or Spirits) and possibly has poor contacts in the Lucas bullet joints. These effects produce a voltage drop at the bulb base. 100 Watt bulbs fed with 10 volts are no more effective than 60 Watt bulbs fed with 11 volts. Quartz-iodine filament lamps should be run at their design temperature to achieve the rated output. (A correctly designed relay system will fix this.)

Alan D.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 843
Posted on Monday, 24 April, 2023 - 19:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, I use either Philips or Osram standard wattage but uprated bulbs https://www.powerbulbs.com/store/category/halogen-bulbs/fitting/h4-472 . I have fitted relays to my Shadow 1 which switch the power from the H4 dip to H4 main when the inner lights are on. I did this mod 20 years ago with no ill effects.
Mark

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 375
Posted on Monday, 24 April, 2023 - 20:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, I didn't know about these bulbs. I have tried similar bulbs but been disappointed with the results. I've ordered some and hope they are good. If not, I don't know where you live, so breath easy.

Alan D.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 844
Posted on Tuesday, 25 April, 2023 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan I have used these Philips and Osram bulbs for some years and found them excellent. Confident enough to give you my address !!! I have Philips Racing Vision in my Landrover Pickup, and osram or Philips +150% in the others. I do 500 miles a month night driving, much better than standard bulbs.
Mark

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 549
Posted on Thursday, 27 April, 2023 - 14:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,......

Today I got new 100 watt globes for the high beam lights.

I'll switch the driving lights to the 60 watt element and leave it at that.

Nice to meet you Jeff, I hope you got my e-mail ok last night.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 550
Posted on Friday, 28 April, 2023 - 19:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Today I replaced the high beam light globes with the new 100 watt globes.

I worked out the driving lights were already using the 60 watt element in the H4 globe, so all good there.

Took the lenses off the clearance lights to see what globes are being used.

Took the lenses off the clearance lights to see what globes are being used.

I am going to replace the globes with LED globes later, looks like the globe on rear passenger side might not have been seated far enough in so over time it has melted the separate inner lens.

The one from the drivers side.

Headlights done, might need to re aim the lights just a smidge,....

I noticed I will need to clean the reflectors in all the lights.

Graham

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 551
Posted on Saturday, 06 May, 2023 - 00:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

I went out in Camilla yesterday afternoon until

late last night. This gave me a great opportunity

to see how the new high beam lights work.

They work much better.

Not much more reach but brighter at the far end.

I even had a few oncoming vehicles flash me about

a kilometer away, that did'nt happen before.

So I'm going to call that a win!

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 552
Posted on Tuesday, 09 May, 2023 - 11:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

This morning I gave Camilla's window channels a

squirt with silicone spray to help free up the

windows, made a small difference.

Also Sunday just gone I met Sophie Aldred.

For the Dr Who fans out there!

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 553
Posted on Sunday, 14 May, 2023 - 21:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Not sure if I have asked this before but is there any way to reset when the ice warning light comes on?

Camilla's comes on when its 10-15 deg C outside,....

Can it be set to a lower temp?

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 555
Posted on Saturday, 16 September, 2023 - 20:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

This afternoon I cleaned and detailed Camilla's

interior.

Just have to vacuum the foot wells tomorrow.

Detailed the outside and polished the grilled and

the spirit of ecstasy.

All ready for a trip out to a event tomorrow.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 557
Posted on Friday, 06 October, 2023 - 22:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Well the time has come.

I have arranged to have Camilla's radiator stripped, cleaned and re-soldered beginning of next month.

She will also get a transmission service while her

radiator is out.

Gonna get rid of that leak once and for all!!!

Graham.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 550
Posted on Saturday, 07 October, 2023 - 04:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Where is the leak exactly Graham ?

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 558
Posted on Saturday, 07 October, 2023 - 23:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Top right corner, the solder has dried and cracked.

Its just due to age and heat-cooling cycles,...

Nothing major.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 559
Posted on Sunday, 29 October, 2023 - 17:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Today I took Camilla to a car show.

It was a great day out.

I think I parked in the wrong spot, I had the dirt

road you enter the event behind me, the wind blew

the dust off the road right onto Camilla!

By the end of the event she looked like she just

finished the Paris-Dakar rally!

Afterwards I went and washed Camilla,...

I even gave under the hood a wash.

On the way back home just after washing Camilla

a relay behind the ignition cluster kept tripping.

Every time this happens the oil light comes on.

As you know this also cuts the fuel pump,...

Well the oil light stayed lit for about a minute

and I'd say the carbs ran out of fuel going up a

steep hill,....

I gave her 5 mins to let the engine heat evaporate

any water that may be shorting the oil pressure

sensor or in any wiring,....

I thought I might have another FTP on my hands.

But after 5 mins she fired right up and ran

flawless.

Oh and next Sat I'm taking Camilla to get her

radiator fixed.

What an interesting day,....

Graham.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 853
Posted on Monday, 30 October, 2023 - 07:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham , we all have days like it. Week last Monday went to use the Mulsanne S ,Oil leak from power steering cooler due to a stone hitting it. Went to use the Rover 2000TC, front carb flooded, revert to Landrover Defender, drivers window wound down and jammed !! This weekend, repaired window winder, fitted new oil cooler, repaired Rover Carb and fitted new outside lights at home to replace defunct PIRs.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 560
Posted on Thursday, 09 November, 2023 - 23:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Camilla's radiator repair was deferred a week.

So fingers crossed this Sat gets the job started!

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 561
Posted on Friday, 10 November, 2023 - 22:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Aaaaand deferred again,...

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 562
Posted on Saturday, 11 November, 2023 - 06:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

What ATF is everyone using in their Shadow II's?

Mine has the 3 speed.

Is this ok?

Graham

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 563
Posted on Saturday, 11 November, 2023 - 06:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Graham.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 857
Posted on Saturday, 11 November, 2023 - 07:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fuchs Titan ATF 4000 which is Dexron3H . I use this in GM400's and Hydromatic and early rover p5

David Gore

Post Number: 4238
Posted on Saturday, 11 November, 2023 - 08:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

This should be OK but I would check if GM have approved it for their T400 automatic transmissions.

The only problem I can envisage might be incompatibility with the elastomer items in the T400 that have not been used in later GM auto transmissions.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 564
Posted on Sunday, 12 November, 2023 - 15:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

According to the Super cheap website the second one I posted is the 'Preferred' ATF the first is the 'Alternate' to use for the TH400 transmission.

Graham.

David Gore

Post Number: 4239
Posted on Monday, 13 November, 2023 - 06:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Grahame,

From past experience, do not rely on retail outlet data; always go to the manufacturer or their website and see what recommendations/approvals apply to their product.

This is particularly applicable to new products that have not been on the market for a long time as unexpected or inevitable problems after the product is released sometimes take time to become apparent.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2584
Posted on Monday, 13 November, 2023 - 23:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Black Friday UK Deal £25.00 5 ltr size.

Do not use semi synthetic ATF.

The one to use is ATF DEXRON 3 DIII D3 Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 858
Posted on Tuesday, 14 November, 2023 - 19:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick , I have found this, to add further confusion!

" Released in December 1998, GM's Dexron-III (G) specification (GM6417M) was a synthetic blend automatic transmission fluid, especially developed to address the VCCC shuddering issue."

Richard Treacy also wrote a substantial article on Auto boxes and fluids on this forum some years ago.

Mark

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 565
Posted on Tuesday, 14 November, 2023 - 22:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

From the Penrite website.

https://penriteoil.com.au/product-selector?vehicle=17484#/recommendations

Graham.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2585
Posted on Wednesday, 15 November, 2023 - 22:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So far as I can see this is the one you need,

Premium mineral, advanced technology, multi vehicle, red coloured automatic transmission fluid meeting the requirements of GM DEXRON®-IIIH. Suitable for car, light commercial, 4WD and heavy duty truck automatic transmissions and power steering units where this type of fluid is specified. Also suitable for Ford BTR 4 speed 91/95LE automatics.
KEY SPECIFICATIONS: GM DEXRON®-IIIH , GM DEXRON®-II/IIE/IID, FORD MERCON®
PRODUCT CODES: ATFDX3001, ATFDX3004, ATFDX3020, ATFDX3060, ATFDX3205

IMO if the the auto-box has correct pressures and smooth changes etc the synthetic thinner type fluid is a no go.

A little different to the newer synthetic engine oils that are available that are ace!!

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 566
Posted on Saturday, 18 November, 2023 - 13:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Found a cheaper way to fix my brakes,....

Problem solved!

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 567
Posted on Sunday, 19 November, 2023 - 08:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Graham.

David Gore

Post Number: 4246
Posted on Sunday, 19 November, 2023 - 09:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

this is one of the best................

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 568
Posted on Tuesday, 21 November, 2023 - 19:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Today I ordered the Trans service kit, should get that Friday.

Got the ATF a few days ago.

Now just need the time.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 569
Posted on Friday, 01 December, 2023 - 21:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

For Camilla's Trans service.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 571
Posted on Saturday, 03 February, 2024 - 13:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Well Camilla's radiator repair has been put off again.

Oh well, It'll get done.

On Christmas day I took Camilla out to do the rounds of family and friends. That day She started just fine but for some reason the interior lights would not go out.

I no longer hear the relay working.

I've been told to cheak the door switches but I don't think thats the issue. End of Christmas day outing I disconnected the Battery, next time I got to look before I took her out again I pulled the fuse for the interior lights so I no longer have to disconnect the Batt. I took Camilla out for a run today and she is running fantastic. Just over a thousand miles till her next service.

Graaham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 572
Posted on Sunday, 25 February, 2024 - 20:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Ordered and will collect next weekend two oil filters and three one liter bottles of RR363.

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 573
Posted on Monday, 18 March, 2024 - 19:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Well looks like its gonna happen this time.

Camilla gets her radiator done as of this Sat.

I am having a happy!

Graham.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: