Indicators Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Indicators « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Francis
Frequent User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 297
Posted on Wednesday, 16 October, 2019 - 17:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The indicators on my Shadow have just stopped working. When I move the stalk either way, the telltale on the speedo comes on, but not flashing, but none of the indicator lights come on.
The positive run, as I understand it, is from the battery, through the fuse, through the flasher unit, through the stalk connections, on to either the left or right indicators and telltales.
I have tested the fuse and flasher unit anyway, which are good.
I am about to embark on a voyage of investigation, but was wondering if anyone had a simple “go to” that I should check first?
Thanks

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2197
Posted on Wednesday, 16 October, 2019 - 19:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Are hazards working ok, and switch in fully off.

Patrick Francis
Frequent User

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, 16 October, 2019 - 22:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick, Yes hazards work fine and switch on and off. Made sure the switch is pulled well out.
Ta

Mike Thompson
Prolific User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Thursday, 17 October, 2019 - 15:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On my SS the problem was corrosion on the stalk it had the same symptoms. I used a bit of sandpaper on the nubs to make it work.

Help Restore My 1975 Silver Shadow
Mike Thompson Posted on Friday, 19 April, 2019 - 06:29:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/35587.html?1560318680

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Thursday, 17 October, 2019 - 15:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

stalk 1

stalk 2

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Thursday, 17 October, 2019 - 15:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry the problem I had with the flasher was the the flasher relay 35048B (rectangle) I replaced it with a Novita (a standared American) LL552 Flasher (round).

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Thursday, 17 October, 2019 - 15:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

relay

relay 2

Patrick Francis
Frequent User

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, 18 November, 2019 - 09:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just for future reference. After a lot of tracing cables etc, the problem was solved by resetting the otter switch on the reset relay below the flasher unit. I never realized that it reset the indicators as well!

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Monday, 18 November, 2019 - 11:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

If you have to reset it, it's likely that component is a circuit breaker and not a relay.

John Kilkenny
Frequent User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, 20 November, 2019 - 21:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Otter switches can be different types. Otter was the name of the company that made them.The small black box with the reset switch does not affect the turn indicators. It is the gear shift circuit cut out which which is a thermal cut out and removes power to the gearshift actuator if the circuit is not broken after the new gear is selected.It can be reset with the red button when the fault is corrected.
The most common form of Otter Switch is a temperature sensitive device which makes when a particular temperature is reached and breaks when it drops, for example to switch on an electric cooling fan.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: