Wiper motor Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Wiper motor « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jack Higginbotham
New User
Username: jhinmd

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, 18 December, 2017 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had my wiper motor die me. Like an idiot, I disconnected everything and months later have a replacement motor. Disclaimer, electricity is not my strongest suit. Having said that, when I ground the case, and use a circuit tester with a hot lead, my test light glows on half of the leads, and does not on half. 12 volts to any one lead does not power the motor. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of how this goes, and/or advise on how to proceed?
Thank you. Jack

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Monday, 18 December, 2017 - 07:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jack

Have you checked out the workshop manual and wiring diagrams?

They can be found here

http://rrtechnical.info/sc/03_silver_cloud.htm

If you scroll down you will find the windscreen wiper is covered in the electrical section. The wiring diagrams are also there.

Geoff

Jack Higginbotham
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, 18 December, 2017 - 09:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Geoff. I do own that shop manual, but I did not realize the wiring schematic was here....thank you! Unfortunately, my wiring harness is in rough shape. I can probably follow each lead beyond the firewall to determine their respective colors though. Unfortunately, the wiper motor I purchased is also a mess. The insulation is missing at the ends of all 6 leads. When I cut back the harness insulator, the cloth is there but the colors are essentially indistinguishable from one another, except I have a fairly good guess at the blue wire. On the chassis side, three leads are constantly hot, regardless of the switch position. Is this normal and correct? Thank you.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Monday, 18 December, 2017 - 13:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jack

Unfortunately I cannot help any further as I do not run a Cloud. I do get the same problem with the cotton covered wires on my Shadow and use a meter and the wiring diagram to figure out which is which. Hopefully a Cloud owner will pick your query up.

Geoff

Jack Higginbotham
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, 18 December, 2017 - 18:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Geoff. Well noted.

Chris Browne
Prolific User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 277
Posted on Monday, 18 December, 2017 - 21:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Jack,
Is it possible for you to post a photo of the motor or at least the model no. stamped on the casing as I believe there was more than one variant. My friend and I had exactly the same problem of being unable to identify wiring colours on our 1958 Cloud 1 during its restoration. If you can provide some details I may be able to help with some photos or diagrams, assuming the motor is the same.
Kind regards,
Chris

Jack Higginbotham
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2017 - 18:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Chris and thank you! It is a Lucas dr3, which was the replacement to the dr1 found on early Clouds. The factory recommended exchanging 1’s for 3’s, so it appears that was at least sometimes done. There are 6 external leads.
I will try to attach images, but as the replacement unit is in rough shape and requires work, it may be useless to you. Many thanks,
Jack

Jack Higginbotham
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2017 - 18:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jack Higginbotham
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2017 - 18:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jack Higginbotham
Experienced User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2017 - 18:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jack Higginbotham
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2017 - 21:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is a question I have pondered, and not seen answered anywhere.
Per my original post, three leads show a completed circuit with my test light on a hot lead while the case is grounded. Three leads do not.
Meanwhile, three leads from the firewall are constantly hot, and three are not.
I am pondering that the constant hot fire firewall leads match to the three leads which show a complete circuit. Then perhaps the remaining leads, when switched to hot, activate low speed, high speed, and return switch.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 02:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't know if this is what may help.
Two types of switch shown for DR3s but for general cars maybe not RR.

David Balfour
Frequent User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 11:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jack, I will give you step by step instructions to connect the motor as soon as Ihave a moment.

Jack Higginbotham
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 19:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Patrick....all contributions and data points are appreciated!
David, THANK YOU! I plan to dedicate part of Saturday to my wiper quest...between assembling Christmas presents and hosting visitors.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 21:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A few notes of interest from Lucas bulletin notes from college days with a trip to Birmingham with priced goodies that I kept.

Chris Browne
Prolific User

Post Number: 279
Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 - 02:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Jack,

Please find below all relevant photos I have of the Lucas DR3 wiring.

I hope these will enable you to sort out your problem. We found that very gentle scraping of the dirty cotton braiding usually resulted in being able to decipher the colour, once you have a list of what to look for. For reference, these colours are blue/green, white/green, brown/green, yellow/green, red/green and plain green.

Kind regards,

Chris

Jack Higginbotham
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, 23 December, 2017 - 22:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris and Patrick, thank you for all the information. Chris, your images inspire me to remove the end cover and see if the wire colorings are more obvious. From there, making up new correct colored leads will be my next step. Then I will need to identify the leads from the dash/firewall. Hopefully the wiring diagram on this site (although my car is lhd) and information provided by you all, will bring my wipers back to life.
I still am very curious how exactly the three constant hot leads play into the function of this motor so if I get a firm grasp on this entire system, will pass it along here.

Chris Browne
Prolific User

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, 27 December, 2017 - 07:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Jack,
My understanding is that there are three live wires to support slow wipe, fast wipe and park. If you have never seen the wipers working, at rest they should park off the screen and lie parallel with the bottom of the screen frame, when on slow and fast wipe, the sweep of the wiper blades is a slightly reduced arc so they are not constantly wiping the screen frame and paintwork below it but just wipe the glass. As you switch the wipers off, the arc of travel is slightly longer again so they park off screen, hence the third live wire. That was my interpretaion of the wiring at the time I did the restoration.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Chris

David Balfour
Frequent User

Post Number: 84
Posted on Saturday, 13 January, 2018 - 22:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jack,
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to post a detailed response about the wiper motor wiring, but the silly season is all consuming here. Anyway all being well there should be a PDF attached that may help - or maybe not. I've attached it to this email.
Regards, David
application/pdfCloud Wiper Motor Wiring - Possible Configuration
Cloud Wiper Motor Wiring.pdf (34.4 k)

Jack Higginbotham
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, 13 January, 2018 - 23:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you so much David. As I was in a time sensitive position (this car needed an annual inspection as I use it commercially) and was traveling on business, I resorted to having the car sent to a local (well, two hour drive) expert who determined the switch was bad, and indeed the replacement motor I purchased was also faulty. After a heart stopping amount of cash changed hands, the car is back at inspection where it will hopefully finish next week.
With you excellent instructions, I plan to go back and understand the operation and perhaps take a stab at resurrecting the faulty motor and keep as a spare.
I do appreciate the wonderfully detailed explanation, will print and put in my workshop binder. Well done, and thank you.
Jack

Dr Entropy
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 70.127.98.133
Posted on Friday, 18 October, 2019 - 00:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This thread has proven useful to me here in the US. Thanks to all!

(Message approved by david_gore)

GuillaumeSlama
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 64.138.236.106
Posted on Tuesday, 08 February, 2022 - 10:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,

This information has been very useful to me as well in identifying the wires in the loom as well as those on the motor, however it still does not work.

I have a RHD DR3 motor with 5 wires only (no blue wire, just a green one) and only 5 wires come out of the loom as well (no "blue" either).

When I bench test the motor, it works fine in both low and high speed, but when I connect the loom, nothing happens. I checked for continuity and everything checks out, except for the continuity with blue since there is none, yet I do have constant 12v between green and white on low and high and 12V between green and orange on high.

Could it be that the switch itself is not grounded?

Could the parking switch be interfering with normal operation?

What further tests can I do to solve this? Thank you so much for your help.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Balfour
Frequent User

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, 26 June, 2022 - 23:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi GuillaumeSlama, I apologise for only just seeing your questions today. Did you get it figured out? I will try and help if not. Maybe your motor is a DR3A which is the same motor without the thermostat.

Guillaume Slama
Yet to post message
Username: guillaume3

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 13 June, 2023 - 22:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,
No, I never figured it out. And I haven't come back to it since last year, so I didn't see your reply either. I since registered, so I should get notifications when someone answers. It is very puzzling, to say the least, but I'm now thinking maybe the motor itself is improperly grounded.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: