Silver Cloud Series One Manual Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Silver Cloud Series One Manual « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel Shepherd
New User
Username: 1957_grey_cloud

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2023 - 16:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Finally, I have one!

Can anyone identify the year? It has no publication date in it.

Also, I couldn't find one on the internet. Is there any interest out there if I were to scan it?

Cloud Manual

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4176
Posted on Wednesday, 22 February, 2023 - 21:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This Handbook is not held by our free internet-accessible Technical Library and I would appreciate your scanned copy of this handbook for inclusion.

https://rrtechnical.info/sc/03_silver_cloud.html

If you can email the scanned pages to me - I will create a PDF version for inclusion in the Library.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.154.24.96
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2023 - 03:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The date of it is 1955/1956.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Daniel Shepherd
New User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2023 - 12:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The chassis number of the (assumed) first owner is LSGE286. Indicates a left-hand drive, so perhaps late 1957, early 1958.

Our cloud is SDD264, perhaps around April 1957 - so close enough!

Cloud Manual

Daniel Shepherd
New User

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2023 - 12:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, probably a good idea that I scan it in anyway and use a printed copy myself.

I will endevour to get around to this smartly, but we're probably a few weeks off given the floods!

Best
Daniel

David Gore

Post Number: 4178
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2023 - 18:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Daniel,

Just send me the scans "as scanned" and do not worry about editing them as I will do this when I create the PDF file for inclusion in the Library.

Please scan in colour at a high resolution setting [at least 300dpi] and in A4 page size.

Please email them to me at drh14434@yahoo.com.au and I will do the rest for you.

Thank you for providing this handbook copy which I am certain will be of great interest to our members.

BTW your current floods in New Zealand have been huge and our thoughts and best wishes from across the Tasman are with you as you recover from them.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.164.65.197
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2023 - 20:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

LSGE 286, delivered 10/58 to F E Barnes. Shell Grey / Steel Blue.

1983 it was with Mr Holliday in the USA.

NormanGeeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.99.74.184
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2023 - 04:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Daniel

The Handbook for Silver Cloud 1 chassis SDD264 should be version “ VIII “. That would cover a chassis with dual brake master cylinders and 6.6:1 compression engine.

I would expect the correct handbook for chassis LSGE 286 to be version “ X” much later than the handbook shown which was originally for an earlier car. Although from your image it is possible to make out that the particular handbook has a slip page inserted opposite page 15. This possibly is indicating that the compression ratio is 8:1 and 2 inch carburettors are fitted, so utilising an earlier handbook.

R-R were fond of using slip pages indicating any manner of changes and using old handbook versions to use up stock.

The handbook version number is listed on the front fly page in roman numerals. The production year really has no significance to the correct handbook which was determined only on chassis specification and chassis number.

However, be careful of the data particularly oil change and filter periods and electrics.

The company even made extreme mistakes in Phantom IV handbooks and to add insult carried the same errors through handbook versions XIV, XV and XVI.

David Gore

Post Number: 4179
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2023 - 07:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you to both Christopher and Norman who are recognised world-wide for their knowledge of and experience with the Early Post-War and Silver Cloud & Bentley S models.

Daniel, you will find both Christopher and Norman a great help with advice and comments as you restore your vehicle.

Daniel Shepherd
New User

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2023 - 12:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David,

And thank you Christopher and Norman, I was very interested in your comments.

Our 1957 is also shell grey, and I shall be wary of the information in the manual. Hopefully the operating instructions for the nobs and dials and stalks are unchanged across models - this will be my first port of call when reading.

I was granted some Cloud time this morning, as we for once we had no clouds here, and have removed the fog lamps that weren't operating, and the bumper brackets for repainting. Baby steps...

Enjoy your weekends
Daniel

Cloud front

Daniel Shepherd
New User

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2023 - 12:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Norman, I may have got lucky. My version does indeed seem to be VIII, with the odd update in ink!

Best
Daniel

Cloud Manual

David Gore

Post Number: 4180
Posted on Sunday, 26 February, 2023 - 07:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you to Christopher Carnley who has provided the following additional information:

"An excellent illustrated appreciation of these cars, including the Silver Clouds, detailing all aspects of construction and modifications arising is the book in the photograph.

There are two dust covers, the other shows shows a Silver Dawn, book is available world wide at less than £30.00.

The other "register", by Davide Bassoli and the late Bernard King, "Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud 1 & Bentley S1, 50 Years" Complete Classics No 8" is becoming quite rare now at over £125,00, if you can get one. Your car is on page 158.

The cylinder head bolts have the same centres as the Bentley R Type and Continental 4.9 litre engine, and a small number were retro fitted with the S1, 8:1 compression head and HD8 carburettors in 1958, as BC4E, and BC8E in 1962.

This was much later mistranslated as the mythical "OPWAS" scheme."

Thank you Christopher for taking the time to go through your archives to help our member. We are fortunate to have regular contributors like yourself who willingly and freely share their knowledge to help new custodians.

CC

Daniel Shepherd
New User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2023 - 12:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all, I now have a couple of new books in my library :-)

David, I am hoping to start scanning in the next few days, I've sent you an email.

Best
Daniel

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: