Cloud 3 Cylinder head Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Cloud & Bentley S » Cloud 3 Cylinder head « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, 01 April, 2018 - 19:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Could someone please help with torque setting for cylinder head stud nuts.
I am replacing the rocker cover gaskets and as the engine has now done just under 1000 miles since rebuild I want to check torque of nuts.
Can't remember what it is

many thanks

Trevor Pickering
1964 SC3 SEV495

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 852
Posted on Monday, 02 April, 2018 - 07:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor I would really like to help you but I have been partying for four days on hooter and booze with an attractive Australian blonde lady street fighter.

Needless to say old chap I am a f##king wreck however I am certain the torque specs are in our library.

Brian probably knows them and I am certain he will let you know.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 954
Posted on Monday, 02 April, 2018 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor I tried looking in the technical library and the section cylinder head is missing, and a guesstimate isn't any good.

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Monday, 02 April, 2018 - 08:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad
We are more interested in the torque required to to put you in a head lock by the blonde street fighter!!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Monday, 02 April, 2018 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maybe the same as the 1965 shadow.
http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/rolls-royce-bentley-shadow-t1-t2-corniche-mpw/engine/cylinder-head-tightening-sequence.html

Will have a look at Cloud 3 if can find!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2859
Posted on Monday, 02 April, 2018 - 09:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Following information from TSD753 page E33 [applies to S2 and S3 engines]:

"Cvlinder heads - To fit

When fitting the cylinder heads, reverse the procedure given for removal, noting the following points. Coat both faces of the new cylinder head gaskets with 'Welseal', making sure that any excess jointing compound is removed when the gaskets are correctly positioned. The side marked TOP should be uppermost otherwise two coolant holes will be blocked up and overheating will occur.

The heads must be tightened down progressively to the sequence shown in Fig. E27. The correct torque loading figure is 40 Ib.ft"

Head

A complete version of the S3 Workshop Manual and other information can be downloaded from the Technical Library:

http://rrtechnical.info/sc/sc3/wshop.htm

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, 02 April, 2018 - 19:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for all the replies
I did not think of looking in the TSD'S DOH!!!!

I could only find some of the older stuff relating to an "experienced fitter with a box spanner and a 6" tommy bar!
Good job I checked as I had 35ft.lbs.in my not very good memory.
Thanks again gents.
happy days

Trevor Pickering

Robert J. Sprauer
Experienced User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, 02 April, 2018 - 23:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Did you upgrade the gaskets to rubber with the new distance sleeves and grommets?

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, 03 April, 2018 - 00:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I decided to stick with the "cork" seals and use Wellseal on the joints as well.
If this proves to be a problem in service I will change to the new type

Thanks

Trevor

Guillaume Slama
New User
Username: guillaume3

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 13 June, 2023 - 22:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is all great advice. Did anyone struggle with frozen studs and/or has a good method of removing the head without damaging it?
Thanks,

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: