Cadillac Craziness Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Cadillac Craziness « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 750
Posted on Thursday, 02 March, 2017 - 02:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

About 8 years ago, I bought in New Mexico and imported to Australia a 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood which had fuel injection and only 76,000 miles on it. It was and still is in excellent condition.

I paid $2800 USD for it. Some people thought I was nuts for buying this car but being Omar's Russian Brother, if I like it, I buy it and I liked it so I bought it.

I just spotted the same car in a different colour with the Talisman upholstery which cost as an option in 1976 more then a new Ford Pinto. Frankly, I think the Talisman upholstery package looks damn right 'orrid. Nevertheless, I just spotted this car listed for $17,500 USD as SOLD.

Unlike my Camargue and Silver Spirit, the Cadillac can be inexpensively repaired, flogged bloody senseless and poorly maintained ie coolant and it was still run. The 472/500 engines are bulletproof and indeed the worlds fastest Cadillac which pulls over 400 mph runs a modified 472. I see them as an US version of a Klashnikov - does not matter what you do with them, they will still fire.

And if you are into machine guns, there is a U-tube video of an American running many rounds through this machine gun, holding it with welding gloves and firing it until the wooden stock was catching on fire. Nasty stuff I like it.

Yep so I think my $2800 USD is pretty safe.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Thursday, 02 March, 2017 - 04:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
I think Cadillacs are mostly appreciated in the USA and very few people outside the USA give them the appropriate credit they deserve.
I have a few Caddys as you know and I love these cars. Your Caddy has endured all sorts of abuse yet she still soldiers on. I am gobsmacked at the lightening speed that yours can do - my buggers are a hell of a lot slower than yours!!!

My latest Caddy project is to take all the running gear and suspension and brakes from my 94 Fleetwood and insert it all into my 1959 six window sedan. The 94 carcass will then go to the crusher and the 59 will be a good usable everyday modern classic.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Thursday, 02 March, 2017 - 08:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like the older caddies and in good condition (inc brakes and suspension etc etc) They drive fine. Also if the ride is a bit too soft its easily modified, the hot rod lads will have the parts. Engine wise a GM 350 bhp V8 with TH400 slush box should give the beast plenty of whizz.

I have noticed that caddies with modern mechanicals make better money than the average original car

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, 03 March, 2017 - 10:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Is your 6-window a 6V car or were they 12V by then? Anyway, I can recommend Painless Performance for the wiring harness.

I've only owned two Cadillacs, both De Villes (2000 and 2003). These had the Northstar 32V and were front wheel drive. FWD is a aft idea in a big car but the General had pretty bad management back when I bought these cars. Anyway, they were well built and comfortable and I loved them (but not Lynn who said, 'it's too big!' so I sold it for another Merc wagon. Should have known better.

Anyway, your '59 has the 331 engine, right? It'll be a beast with the motor out of your Fleetwood - yeehaw!
--
John

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Saturday, 04 March, 2017 - 06:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear John,
I dont think they were 6v cars. I have 2 six window 59s and both are 12v so I will assume that they must all be.

Yeah mate that 94 drive train will make the 59 a real pleasure to drive.

Thanks
Omar

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 312
Posted on Sunday, 05 March, 2017 - 14:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

How interested would you be in a 63 caddy limo project. A friend has one for sale that is solid all around but needs paint and probably needs a fuel tank. I might buy it just to cut the roof off of and make into the world's longest convertible.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Sunday, 05 March, 2017 - 14:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love your work Ross

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 313
Posted on Sunday, 05 March, 2017 - 14:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

He sold it to me before but then found out about the top chop and refused.

He said he was looking out for me.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 06:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

He is a true friend Ross,

But hey how much fun would it be!

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 754
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 12:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No thanks Ross. I have too many projects already!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2017 - 13:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Something like this Ross, but a convertible?

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 07:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Only one helicopter? How sad.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 07:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know.

Lets have a collection for the poor fellow.

Graham Watson
Experienced User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, 07 March, 2017 - 10:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

'Merica!
Think I will go have a nice cry now.