Leave of Absence Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Leave of Absence « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Saturday, 10 October, 2015 - 20:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After 12 years of being one of the Moderators of this Forum, I regret to advise that circumstances have arisen where I will be unable to act in this capacity for an indeterminate period.

The reason being I have to have an immediate operation for a large brain tumor that I was unaware of until a fortuitous decision by my cardiologist several weeks ago to send me for a CT scan after I mentioned a recent instance of a headache that did not respond to analgesics. I mentioned I was coming down with a flu virus that had been raging here for a month or so and I assumed this was responsible for the headache and a recent increase in my blood pressure. The cardiologist initially agreed that the flu might be responsible before pausing to think and suggested it might be appropriate for me to have a CT scan just to be sure. The outcome was the discovery of a large tumor covering the left frontal lobe and my decision to have it excised as soon as practicable.

My last active day on the Forum will be next Wednesday, my operation is on Thursday and my return will depend on the outcome - my neurosurgeon has advised he will not know what he is dealing with until he has accessed the tumor as the CT and MRI scans do not show the full extent of where it is attached and how much lesion penetration, if any, into my brain has occurred. I will return as soon as I am capable of using a computer again but I do not know whether this will be a matter of days or weeks - I do know that I am not permitted to drive for at least a month () and will be unable to resume normal work activities for at least 2 months [difficult when you are self-employed and the sole staff member].

I am a great believer in the power of positive thinking and have absolute confidence in the neurosurgeon looking after me. I also believe only the good die young and I will be living proof when I live for several more decades. Just to bring a humorous note into play, one of my female cousins hearing of my problem had the temerity to ask why I wasn't having day surgery as every woman knows the real location of the male brain .

Christian S. Hansen
Frequent User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, 10 October, 2015 - 21:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David...
Thoughts, best wishes, prayers conveyed. Thank you for your assistance during my short period of membership.
Christian

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Saturday, 10 October, 2015 - 21:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very best wishes and prayers to you David. Good luck and see you on here soon :-)

John Kilkenny
Prolific User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 226
Posted on Saturday, 10 October, 2015 - 22:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
Very best wishes for the operation and recovery.
Will be thinking of you on Thursday.
John

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 362
Posted on Saturday, 10 October, 2015 - 23:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David.
May I also offer my support to you at this time best wishes on Thursday and always.

Richard.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 979
Posted on Sunday, 11 October, 2015 - 01:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David

I'm with you too David. Keep positive.

Geoff

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, 11 October, 2015 - 05:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, Best wishes for a swift recovery
Mark

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 856
Posted on Sunday, 11 October, 2015 - 19:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fingers crossed for good outcome, David.

michael vass
Experienced User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, 11 October, 2015 - 19:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David
Very best wishes and a speedy recovery!
Mike

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 956
Posted on Monday, 12 October, 2015 - 02:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello David, wishing you a speedy recovery good luck.
I am sure you will be fine.
Pat.

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, 12 October, 2015 - 06:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good luck David.
Kindest regards, Nigel.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 595
Posted on Monday, 12 October, 2015 - 08:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good luck mate

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, 13 October, 2015 - 04:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All the best David.
I am sure you'll be back before we know it.

Benoit

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 526
Posted on Tuesday, 13 October, 2015 - 11:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Absolutely best wishes and prayers for your complete recovery.

David Gore

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Wednesday, 14 October, 2015 - 15:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you to everyone above and also to those who sent me personal messages through the Forum for your kind thoughts and support for me. I cannot find the words to properly express my appreciation and describe fully what this has meant to me.

Crunch time is less than 16 hours away however I am still extremely positive about the outcome although the side effects have increased in severity over the last week. I have made the right decision and the skill and experience of my neurosurgeon will bring the desired outcome.

I am looking forward to continuing to participate in the Forum for many years to come - just have to find the right R-R/B vehicle to keep me occupied.....

Our Administrator will be monitoring Forum activities until I return to ease his workload.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, 16 October, 2015 - 10:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So sorry to learn of your predicament David but its almost science fiction what medicine can acheive these days and what ever is not curable today could be in the near future. Best of luck mate.

David Gore

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Sunday, 18 October, 2015 - 06:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Operation has been very successful and I have had an incredibly quick recovery which means I am able to have limited use of my computer so here I am........

Unfortunately, my privileges do not extend to driving or flying for the next month until I have a follow-up brain scan that confirms no infection and/or fluid build-up.

It is good to be back .

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 990
Posted on Sunday, 18 October, 2015 - 06:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!! Great to see you back on so soon. I thought it would be at least a week. Take it easy David until you have made a full recovery.

Best Regards

Geoff

Christian S. Hansen
Frequent User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, 18 October, 2015 - 06:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Congratulations! A wonderful relief to hear. Best wishes.
Christian

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Sunday, 18 October, 2015 - 07:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Congratulations on what is a not-so-small miracle after neurosurgery!! Here's to a speedy rest of your recovery!

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 621
Posted on Sunday, 18 October, 2015 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am so glad that Dave Gore is fine because I over the past few years so many people I know and like have passed. And each one caused me to shed a tear.

By flying does thay mean Dave has a pilots licence. Or no passenger flying and no car driving.

I had 6 months of no car driving didn't really miss driving. And when I first drove again within 10 ft and 1/2 sec I was in the zone. So a month will go quick and Dave will be driving again.

My advice to Dave having gone through similar is to do what you want to do. No robbing banks though

Sorry about the tense. But I can't sometimes get the grammar right.

David Gore

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Sunday, 18 October, 2015 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the welcome back - I cannot put a photo on site as I have the most horrendous black eye from the facial manipulation used to get access to the tumor site. My grandchildren thought it was great and have planned to bring me a pirate's eye patch today..............

My neurosurgeon is a real miracle worker and surprisingly did the whole excision by hand and not robotics as he felt he had more control and ability to fine tune the excision than he did with remote control. It has obviously worked as the post-op scan is completely clear of any remnants and I am hoping it will remain this way.

The result of having a skilled surgeon and the power of positive thinking - my family and I have every reason to be very pleased with the outcome.

I have to do my part now by being patient - easier said than done but I have no choice.....

P.S. Bob Reddington and I posted at the same time - unfortunately I can never hold a pilot's licence as I have monocular vision from eye problems in my early childhood which means I have poor distance judgement and landing a plane would certainly not be a smooth event. The fringe benefit however is I do not get eye strain. I presume the restriction on flying may be due to possible effects of the reduced cabin pressure at altitude causing headaches/passing out or whatever and the restriction on driving is probably for the same headache/passing out reason[s].

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 530
Posted on Sunday, 18 October, 2015 - 12:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great News! May your recovery continue apace!

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 858
Posted on Sunday, 18 October, 2015 - 21:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good news, David. As the Scots say: Lang may your lum reek.

Or as the Irish put it: May you be in heaven a full half hour afore the devil knows your dead.

Alan Scard
Experienced User
Username: alanscard

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, 19 October, 2015 - 03:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David
Great news about your successful operation. You have a wealth of R/R knowledge which I have found very useful on the forum.
Regards Alan, from the UK.

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, 19 October, 2015 - 07:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rejoice.
Regards, Nigel.

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, 20 October, 2015 - 01:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good to see you're recovering so fast, David.
The combination of a skilled surgeon and your positive attitude makes all the difference.

Benoit

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, 20 October, 2015 - 04:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David wishing you a speedy recovery and return to your home and business.

Richard.

Neville Davies
Frequent User
Username: nev_davies

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, 21 October, 2015 - 16:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David. Excellent news look forward to reading your comments in the near future.
Nev