Spot the issues Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Spot the issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 456
Posted on Saturday, 27 August, 2016 - 09:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was laughing looking at these images.
What a good competition this would be to "spot the issues"
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rolls-Royce-Silver-Shadow-/112109552440?hash=item1a1a400338:g:vi0AAOSwmtJXV8Tx

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Saturday, 27 August, 2016 - 09:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wonder why he has not shown any pics of the engine compartment.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 457
Posted on Saturday, 27 August, 2016 - 10:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good call Geoff.
How's that steering wheel.
It's like it has spent the last 25 years in a ultra high humidity greenhouse or something.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 357
Posted on Saturday, 27 August, 2016 - 11:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Was running and driving when last parked."

Greatest salesmanship line ever.

Like..."in great condition...just before colliding with that tree."

and truer similar words have never been spoken at anyone's funeral, as in, "he was alive and well just before that heart attack"...etc!

ross kowalski
Frequent User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, 27 August, 2016 - 12:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

The white walls really don't help here.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 458
Posted on Saturday, 27 August, 2016 - 17:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To true gents.

I love the drag marks where she was pushed backwards to its final resting place.

No Ross, they certainly don't!!

ross kowalski
Frequent User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, 28 August, 2016 - 00:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I think those are new drag marks where they towed it out out of the lake with a tractor to photograph it for sale.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 460
Posted on Sunday, 28 August, 2016 - 05:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross.
Here I am thinking it was kept in some greenhouse or something.
A lake is far more plausible.

I can't imagine what would cause the steering wheel to do that.

I might ask the seller for some images under the bonnet.

ross kowalski
Frequent User

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, 28 August, 2016 - 05:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

The sad part is not the condition of this car, which admittedly is quite a shabby.

The sad part is that if it were a lot nearer to me, I would most certainly by buying it.

Carl Heydon
Prolific User
Username: car

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, 28 August, 2016 - 07:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a SY steering wheel hanging up under my house that has gone the same way. I always suspected humidity was the cause, it cleans up fine. On this car it may just indicate how badly it leaks and what to expect under the carpet. Sadly, I am closer and if I had room I would buy it too but I already have SBH 4346 rotting away outside.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 461
Posted on Sunday, 28 August, 2016 - 18:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents.

Why on earth would you want to buy this car?

ross kowalski
Frequent User

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, 29 August, 2016 - 09:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Two words Patrick........Ute.

Carl Heydon
Prolific User

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, 29 August, 2016 - 11:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At that price, just up the road....PARTS!
Maybe even has the choke magnet cover and I could do with a set of accumulator valves bodies. Mine seem to leak when cold no matter what I do to them and then the height control gear to rebuild and then just swap over and then, and then.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 462
Posted on Monday, 29 August, 2016 - 20:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok gents
I get the parts deal.
I just wonder with a car like this what parts would be usable?

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, 29 August, 2016 - 20:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

He has replied to a question of mine.
He said he will post some images from under the bonnet.

ross kowalski
Frequent User

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, 29 August, 2016 - 22:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl,

You are truley a sick man.

I probably have the height control switching cores you need. I am in the USA so shipping might be something, but I'll give you the cores.

Maybe that will help you resist the urge to buy it.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, 29 August, 2016 - 22:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl,

What's a choke magnet cover. I bet I have one of those too.

Carl Heydon
Prolific User

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, 30 August, 2016 - 18:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A very kind offer Ross, the 'choke magnet cover' is 36 in the pic. My engine bays are far from concours but the gap niggles me.

All the height control stuff I had from SBH4346 but I donated them to a two door T, CBH3173, so I can probably get its cores back and save the freight but thank you very much.
I am in no danger of actually buying the 'remains' as I have no available cover left (4 MK VI downstairs) and more than enough on my plate with a MK VI and a rusty R type to recommission!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 464
Posted on Tuesday, 30 August, 2016 - 19:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mate
I really like the sound of the ute.
That would be awesome.

So yes I can see now why you would want it.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 465
Posted on Tuesday, 30 August, 2016 - 19:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Still no engine picks on the listing gents.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2016 - 12:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl,

This

The electromagnet on it has a wire torn out, but the cover looks good.

PM me if you want it sent out.

Carl Heydon
Prolific User

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2016 - 18:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That would be wonderful Ross
PM sent

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2016 - 23:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wasn't aware the choke solenoid had a cover. I've just checked the photos of Patrick's engine (from his "concours" thread) and there it is. This explains why one of the wires snapped off on my choke solenoid, since there was no cover to support the wires.

Here's the thread which documents the repair I carried out on the choke solenoid on my car. Since Ross mentions one of the wires on his solenoid is torn out, it may be of some help.

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/13329.html?1423300654

Geoff

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, 01 September, 2016 - 11:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

I just looked at that link and it appears that the base plate on later cars is different with no provision for mounting the little cover.

So, maybe at some point they stopped putting the little covers on. My car is SRH 8824 and has one.

Carl,
After sending the cover I realized that if you were missing the cover, you probably didn't have the little wire bale so I sent that in an envelope.

I figured I wouldn't send the extra parts to save weight / cost. Yeah, that worked out well.

If you need the baseplate, et me know.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 472
Posted on Thursday, 01 September, 2016 - 12:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Still no further images from the vendor.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Thursday, 01 September, 2016 - 13:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross

Thanks for sending that update. I knew the choke cover was off an earlier car, but when I saw that Patrick's 1972 SY1 also had the cover I thought maybe my 1974 car should have the same. Obviously the downgrade must have taken place between those years. I say downgrade as the cover obviously gives some support to the wires and helps prevent them from snapping off at the top plate, as was the case with my car.

In fact, Bill Coburn related a story about the choke solenoid wiring:

"Actually you are lucky in that you only experienced 'leakage' and or a break. My car stopped dead immediately after a very cold start some years ago and I do not know what made me spot a similar 'wear' point on one of the wires but in my case it simply shorted out the entire ignition circuit. As some bard chronicled , 'but for a happen'th of tar the ship went down'. You will I suppose remember how this gadget was originally constructed in the earlier days!"

Actually, this has finally solved what Bill meant in his final sentence. I think Bill was erroneously attributing me with his vast knowledge of these cars. Now I know what he meant.

Geoff

Carl Heydon
Prolific User

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, 01 September, 2016 - 17:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mine is 12/74 (19606) as well and has the wire retainer/bale but was missing the cover when I bought it 12 years ago.

Ross, thank you again.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2016 - 10:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks like there is an answer in there. Sometime in 1974, the choke cover was stopped.

Geoff, what's the month of your car?

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2016 - 11:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross

My car (SRX18501) is listed as November 1974. I checked for the deletion of the choke cover in the chassis number document, but it appears it was too minor a change to warrant a place, unless I missed it.

Geoff

Carl Heydon
Prolific User

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, 12 September, 2016 - 14:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, many thanks for the choke cover that arrived today. Now I need to find something you desire.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, 13 September, 2016 - 11:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl,

Good to know it arrived safe and sound. Thanks be the national post and ethafoam.

I'm just glad the choke cover is doing something more important than sitting in a bucket of parts in the back of my shed!

Best,

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: