Choke solenoid repair Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Choke solenoid repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Frequent User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, 07 February, 2013 - 06:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks,

One of the wires that enters the choke solenoid on my car (SRX18501) snapped off so I thought I'd document my solution here for any future readers who may have the same problem.

choke sol 1

Top left: The cover plate removed from the solenoid by carefully drilling out the rivet.

Top right: Note how the insulation on the left wire has worn away where it enters the cover plate.

Bottom left: New wire soldered in place

Bottom right: Heat shrink tubing used to cover solder joints

choke sol 2

The repaired choke solenoid.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Monday, 11 March, 2013 - 08:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff. I trust you won't mind if I pop this in Tee One Topics. I think there may be a similar report but yours is far more professional that my stuff! Actually you are lucky in that you only experienced 'leakage' and or a break. My car stopped dead immediately after a very cold start some years ago and I do not know what made me spot a similar 'wear' point on one of the wires but in my case it simply shorted out the entire ignition circuit. As some bard chronicled , 'but for a happen'th of tar the ship went down'. You will I suppose remember how this gadget was originally constructed in the earlier days!

Geoff Wootton
Prolific User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, 11 March, 2013 - 09:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, My stuff more professional than yours!! - in my dreams.

I'd be delighted for this to go into Tee One Topics. If you would like me to write a more detailed text, please let me know.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 930
Posted on Saturday, 07 February, 2015 - 07:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks as though the lock nuts have been got at pointing to the rod adjustment beeing moved.

Start from scratch on setup of unit and testing as per RR manual.