Pirelli just made the list Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Pirelli just made the list « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, 02 February, 2016 - 20:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My relatively new Pirelli Scorpions have been impossible to balance since day one. One day whilst I had the Turbo R up in the air I noticed one rear tyre had an obvious lateral runout. My tyre man agreed and it was sent back and replaced under warranty. The vibrations remained and a request to have the other tyres replaced was refused as according to Pirelli I had flat spotted the tyres. A spectacular maneuver I would have probably remembered to flat spot four tyres on an ABS equipped car!
I replaced a second tyre at my own expense and put it on the front with the replacement tyre. Initially they seemed OK but after leaving the car for a week the vibrations are terrible for the first half an hour and I feel the tyres are going 'square' if the car is left for any length of time.
I demanded the supposed flat spotted tyre be returned and have measured the flat spot. It is not measurable with exactly 7mm of tread all round. A cop out by Pirelli if ever there was one.

The supposedly flat spotted area of the tyre

pirelli1

An even 7mm of tread all round with not the slightest wear on the wear bar.

p2

As I don't wish to throw away four new tyres I have ordered balancing beads often used by trucks and four wheel drives as a last resort. We will see what happens.

Needless to say I have purchased my last Pirelli.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 452
Posted on Tuesday, 02 February, 2016 - 22:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark the only problem with keeping such tyres on your car is the wear caused by the vibrations of the imbalanced tyres, Steering rack and suspension bushes being the worst effected.

Richard.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 522
Posted on Wednesday, 03 February, 2016 - 01:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Mark,
I have noticed that most tyres suffer from the problem you have had. I have never seen it as bad as this though. Generally my cars suffer this vibration issue after a year or two particularly when there have been extended periods of the car being stood in one place for more than a few weeks.
My solution now is to inflate the tyres to 50 psi when the car is stationary for too long. This does not eliminate the problem but it certainly slows down the tyre death sentence. After 3 years, I replace the tyres and the new tyres are like silk every time...... for the first few months.
On my Turbo R I have fitted 18" tyres and they don't seem to suffer from this vibration curse. I put that down to the lower profile. My Continental R and Azure have 17" tyres and they suffer with this vibration issue to a lesser extent than the standard 235/70/15 tyres.

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, 03 February, 2016 - 06:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Because of low speeds and lack of use, we have suffered similar problems. Sometimes it is worth running car at max recommended high speed inflation pressure for at least 20km in 70-80mph if poss and then returning to garage and jacking up to take weight off all wheels to allow them to "cool" in a hopefully round condition! Can'T guarantee unfottunately

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, 03 February, 2016 - 13:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Would another suggestion in cases where flat spots are known to happen from the vehicle sitting for extended periods...and nuisance that it might be...instead of boosting the air pressure to counter the static weight...to simply remove the static weight by putting the car up on stands? That was the advice I believe was given prior to WWII when it was necessary to put cars away for the duration of the war. Seems like a logical solution...if weight over an extended period causes the problem...remove the weight.

Alan Dibley
New User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 08 February, 2016 - 21:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had a problem caused by the tyre-fitter attaching the wheel to the balancer using a cone pressed into the centre hole. The pressed-steel wheels are not that accurate and the contact points on the cone are at the ends of folded bits, not on the wheel location face. Problem solved by finding a fitter with a 5-pronged sort of thing which mounts them as if on the car. Hope that helps, but fancy alloy wheels are different, naturally.

Alan D.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 495
Posted on Saturday, 10 September, 2016 - 18:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian reminds me of the tyre care pages in the manual of my 1925 Chevrolet Superior K.
Apart from the vast array of other things mentioned in the manual for storing the car for the winter, it mentions.
"Remove the tyre and rim from the felly, inflate the tyres to the correct pressure, and store under the bed"
The 1925 owners manual is very interesting reading.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: