WANTED Hydramatic front band tool UR3... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » For Sale & Wanted (No traders, please) » WANTED Hydramatic front band tool UR3144 or equivalent. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Balfour
Experienced User
Username: sidchrome

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, 23 October, 2016 - 16:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wanted: The Hydramatic front band setting tool for the 4 speed Hydramatic found in the Silver Clouds. The ones I have seen have a hexagonal body with two locking nuts (UR.3144). I understand they came standard on certain models, but my Cloud II certainly does not have one, and does not appear to have any empty space for one. Does anyone know what models featured them?

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, 23 October, 2016 - 17:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello David, the website for Albers Bentley in Zionsville, Indiana shows that they have UR3144 available.

UR3144

http://www.albersrollsbentley.com/home/hard-to-find-parts/ur3144/

Alternately, if anybody has one available to send to me, I'm sure I can duplicate one out of stainless for you for a very reasonable charge.

Kelly

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2272
Posted on Sunday, 23 October, 2016 - 18:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

If it is any help, the procedure for adjusting the front band WITHOUT the special tool is detailed on the following link:

http://www.autotran.us/HMBAdj1.html

See pages 631 & 632 in the attached copy of Tee One Topics Issue 42 for a troubleshooting guide for the Hydramatic transmission plus dimensions of the gauge used to set the rear bands.

application/force-downloadT1 - Issue 42
Issue 42.pdf (1986.7 k)

See pages 731 & 732 of the attached copy of Issue 50 for further information:

application/force-downloadT1 - Issue 50
Issue 50.pdf (802.5 k)

Hope this helps.

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, 23 October, 2016 - 23:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Kelly and David, I emailed Albers Bentley for a quote last week and they emailed back with NLA - no longer available. Introcar show them on the parts list, but only for a loan, not for purchase. I was aware of the idle adjusting method, but it lacks the precision of the tool. The transmission is currently out of the car, and the tool makes adjustment idiot proof during bench assembly. I know where I can borrow one if I have to, but I'd rather have my own. I can measure up and draft the one I borrow, but the internal spring may be more difficult to procure. Does anyone know if the tool came in the toolkit of any models?

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, 24 October, 2016 - 02:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan ,think you can hire one from flying spares UK.
http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/rolls-royce-bentley-garage-workshop-tools/rolls-royce-bentley-tools-test-boxes/transmission-final-drive-tools/loan-of-setting-gauge-ur3144loan.html

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, 24 October, 2016 - 08:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Hubert, Indeed you are correct. I'm not sure how practical it would be to hire a tool from the UK when I am in Australia, but for the cost I could probably have one made. I am OK though as I can borrow one, but it would be damned handy to have my own. I had already been to Flying Spares and Introcar to have a look, but do appreciate your input. If it wasn't for the support of fellow enthusiasts, the job would be that much harder. Regards to all...

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, 24 October, 2016 - 08:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just solved the mystery of the Band adjusting tool thanks to a 2003 post by the ever effervescent Grand Master Bill Coburn. Bill stated:

"The transmission tool was a strange add in to the boot of the whole Cloud/S series in only apparent export cars. They clipped in the boot on the left side adjacent to the spare wheel. To adjust the transmission which has two bands it required that tool for the front band and a simple but precise gauge for the rear one. The latter was never supplied which is why I recently included the general shape and critical dimensions of the gauges on page 632 in the March 2005 edition of Tee One Topics."

Thanks Bill, I've been asking about that, an now I have the answer.

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, 24 October, 2016 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually a 2005 Post!

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, 26 October, 2016 - 16:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Out of interest, in TSD 2042 Chapter 3 of Silver Cloud 3 transmission overhaul manual there is a procedure listed to check the accuracy of tool UR3144 before using same.

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2016 - 10:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gordon,
Yes I had seen that diagram, and had attempted to scale a dimensioned drawing from it. In any case I will carefully mic. up the tool I borrow and investigate having some manufactured.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 400
Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2016 - 11:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David...
Albers claims to also have the rear band tool reproduced, but I don't know their price. Listed in their "hard to find" parts category.
If costly, or you prefer to fabricate your own, the dimensions and drawings are provided by Bill Coburn in the aforementioned TeeOne Topics articles. No need to reinvent the wheel.

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2016 - 13:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christian, the returned quote from Albers was marked NLA- no longer available. If you would be kind enough to reference the engineering drawing you speak of, I would be most grateful. I could only find a sectioned calibration drawing.
Regards David

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2016 - 17:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David...
Refer to Davd Gore's post earlier in this thread. TeeOne issue #42 page 631 has drawing with the single critical measurement indicated. All the other dimensions have nothing to do with the adjustment and are thus not critical. Make them whatever you desire. Another photo, but absent dimension, is in the issue #50 referenced.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 402
Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2016 - 17:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

P.S. Here is that drawing:

Silver Cloud Rear Band Adjustment gauge

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2016 - 22:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christian, Thanks for your the help. I'll keep that sketch handy for a rear band tool. Unfortunately UR3144 is the front band tool that Kelly Opfar has included photos of above, and that is the one I am seeking. Thanks for the effort though, certainly good to have also.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2016 - 02:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ummm...guess I misread and somehow got the impression that having resolved the issue of the front tool by borrowing one, you were also pursuing the rear tool as well, and in that regard I thought it odd that, being easily reproduced, it was no longer available from Albers. Guess that should have been an alert that I was misunderstanding. My error.

Nathan Dixon
Yet to post message
Username: dicko1009

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 31 October, 2016 - 14:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi

Have you had any luck finding the tool, I own three Australian cars and none of them have the tool in the car. Would be interested in getting hold of one of those fabricated tools if possible

Cheers

Nathan

David Balfour
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, 31 October, 2016 - 15:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nathan,
No luck finding a tool for sale, but I have borrowed one from the RROCA QLD State President. It's from the boot of his Bentley S DHC, so I need to to return it safe and sound on completion, but not until after I have photographed and accurately measured all the parts, and assembled them into an engineering drawing. Who knows what could happen then!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: