RR Technical Library Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » RR Technical Library « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
Frequent User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, 14 January, 2009 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,

Perhapes I am a littlee daft... no need to answer that really... but I am confused about the technical library and why we have 2 repositories for this useful info?
Its just a bit hit and miss whether I see stuff in the tech library or the online one, is there a reason for this?

Cheers

J

Chris Gillings
Frequent User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, 14 January, 2009 - 10:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Schoolchildren working together on a project couldn't stop squabbling so their teacher separated them and moved them to opposite sides of the classroom.

Each have continued with their conception of the project independently, continuing along the differing paths that started the squabbling in the first place.

Colin Silver
Experienced User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, 15 January, 2009 - 19:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Our technical library is something to be thankful for. I appreciate all the work fallen and nearly fallen (Bill C) have put into the education of us little custodians.

Just looking at an auction site and an enterprising person has put what we get for free, on a CD, the Workshop Manual for Bentley S1 S2 S3

(Yes, it costs you money)

20 years ago I photocopied the manual for my father, with each second page have a sniff out of the room for the Boss.

Now I have printed the manual myself on my own $100- laser printer.

As to repositories, two could be better than one, given your inclination to these matters.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Thursday, 23 April, 2009 - 02:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear All,

It may have been noticed by most for some time now, but for information:

The Prewar section of the Technical Library in the www.rrtechnical.info area links to http://rroc.org.au/wiki/index.php?title=Technical_Library . The prewar section of www.rrtechnical.info will disappear soon.

Likewise, the postwar section of http://rroc.org.au/ links to www.rrtechnical.info .

I hope this clarifies the situation.

With best regards to all,

Richard Treacy.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Thursday, 23 April, 2009 - 03:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ps: if you want a laugh today, have a look at:
http://rrtechnical.info/miscellaneous/rockandrolls.wmv
which is under:
http://rrtechnical.info/miscellaneous/miscellaneousv.html

Try a few more too!!

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Wednesday, 03 June, 2009 - 03:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It has come to the attention of the Technical Library Team that some users are very unhappy with the on-screen appearance of some documents opened from the Library Web Pages. This is not the case where the documents are of limited quality.

There is a banner being attached gradually to all pages to explain why this happens and how to correct it. It is very simple to overcome. It applies not only to the RROC(A) sites.

This is not an exercise in Blaming the Customer !

See: http://rrtechnical.info/quality.htm

Ironically, the higher the quality of the document in the Technical Library, the more likely it is to be poorly-presented on your screen ! This is true of all Websites where high-quality Portable Document Format (PDF) documents are opened from within the Web Browser !

Also, whilst the appearance of the HTML Web Pages is as desired on most browsers, some, notably Mozilla Firefox for example, introduce undesired outlining and other minor effects into the HTML Web Pages.

Your team is working on the last matter so that all browsers are made equal.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Sunday, 07 June, 2009 - 05:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Electrical Section, TSD4400 Section M, for early SZ cars before Chassis 20,000. has been upgraded significantly over the past weeks. It and is now in a far more respectable form. As far as possible so far, quality drawings replace the poorer ones previously in the Technical Library.

The colour wiring diagrammes are available in two qualities to suit your broadband, and the individual parts of TSD4400 Section M have been set out on a dedicated web page.

You may access it in the usual manner through:

http://rrtechnical.info/

or go straight to:

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/sz80/4400m/4400m.htm

The old TSD4400 Section M, lumped in 8 parts, will remain until the new system has proven itself.

RT.

James Feller
Frequent User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, 09 June, 2009 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, again your IT predelictions astound! thanks, it looks really terrific and it is good to have this info to hand.
J

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, 17 June, 2009 - 21:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello,

The last couple of days I was busy changing the door speakers in my Continental. Actually its a rather meticulous process not to damage your trim: there is an exacting sequence of steps with plenty of hidden screws to dismantle the rear compartment and get to those old dried out speakers.

I took some pictures of the process and I noticed that I could make a pdf. Would this be interesting for the technical library that you have?

The problem of dried out speakers must be a common one: they have a porous polyurethane membrane...

Best regards

Lluís

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Wednesday, 17 June, 2009 - 23:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lluis/ Thank you for the offer. It raises an interesting problem, what to do with practical, especially illustrated advice on how to work on our cars. The Continental will for most people be a curiosity but the true lover of these cars is always interested to see how they were built and how mere mortals work on them.

Where these accounts should go is in the club journals but there is never room and lamentably the Bolet and crackers mob are simply not interested. I could put the material in Tee One Topics which you may know is on 5 websites around the world, but to my dying shame the index to my writings languishes on my hard disc waiting for a moment when I can straighten up the work ably and generously done by yet another ex pat.

In hot climates speakers especially in the back of the car have a life of 10 years, after that you may as well throw them away. All postwar Rolls-Royces and Bentley cars have speakers so it concerns a lot of owners.

Can I offer to receive the pictures you have taken with any text you may care to offer and I will if necessary massage it into an article which Richard can plant in the Library for all. Alternatively, you could ask Richard to do the same thing as you prefer. Either way do not lose the stuff, there will someday when a complete stranger will possibly say God bless Lluis for this information I never could have worked it out myself.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, 17 June, 2009 - 23:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the answer,

No problem,

I have blessed several looking at the Tee One topics. I'll put them in a word document in jpg form with some text and mail them to you. When I am done, I'll ask you for the E-Mail address.

I think that modern speaker should last longer anyway.

Best regards,

Lluís

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2009 - 07:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Luis.

It's not a question these days of how long a speaker lasts. In plonk terms, they last forever, Antiplonk, they were obsolete after five years by 2000, three years by 2003, but all are quaint once 30 years old. Basically, a speaker is obsolete the day you buy it today. The audio sections of the workshop manuals are so curious that they may qualify for Wikipedia and a column in Mad Magazine. Video monitors and SatNavs are queueing up for a Podium too. Remember your mobile phone three years ago ? Got it ?

Jibes aside, could we have a poll ?

Were we to have 1GB vidoeos on the site detailing procedures:

1. Would the server stand it ?

2. Would the audience appreciate it ?

3. Could we go for 10GB videos next January ?

Be sure, this is no glib question. We have experimented with videos, for example:

http://rrtechnical.info/miscellaneous/youngones.wmv

and limited them to a few megabytes.

Please, all, are we ready to expand these videos by a factor of 1,000 ?

Your Technical Library Team will press the button once the green light shines.

Now, will my iBentley start ?

RT.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, 18 June, 2009 - 17:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, I did not understand the last comment, Richard. I do not see what do videos have to do with this (?).

I do not want to write anything in this thread (technical) about speakers, just that indeed in the Workshop Manual I found no information whatsoever on how to access them and change them, hence my offer to make a word document in case somebody needed it or wanted to put it in a TeeOne topic, nothing else.

Cheers,

Lluís

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Friday, 19 June, 2009 - 04:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lluis,

I fear that the first part of my last post was misunderstood: it was purely in jest.

Of course, a pertinent contribution is welcome, and it will be placed in a suitable section.

The importance of your offer is not lost. It is timely, and would surely be extremely useful to many people.

In between the lines, changing audio and video devices on our cars is arguably an action increasing rapidly and likely to accelerate given that the devices we buy today will be obsolete in less than a year. Try to explain to your ten-year-old kids that a wristwatch telephone was a comic fantasy when we were young, and that a mobile telephone was still a luxury in Europe until about year 2000.

Heavens, your car was probably delivered new with a stellar "Cellular Telephone", its apparatus being the size of a block of flats and located in a beautifully-trimmed compartment in the boot.

The rest of the post is a general question to all interested parties. For example, we have been generously donated a number of videos, MasterTech, MasterCheck et al. They are each in the gigabyte category. Are our users interested and able to access such documents, and is there an appetite for them ?

RT.

Winfried Hirsch
Yet to post message
Username: whirsch

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 09 December, 2011 - 07:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

I recently registered to this board because I have taken so much information from rrtechnical.info and started to convert some documents taken from there to a (for me) more useful format. For example when I need to lookup some info in the wiring diagrams I like to read the diagram all together on a bigger layout. So I stitched together again 3 of the scans and sized it to a size of about 80x50mm (german A1 format).

Question now is, is this of any interest for anyone else, probably putting it back on rrtechnical.info as an optional format ?
Another one is the workshop manual. Again I put all parts together and made its content searchable. Doesn't work 100%, not all text was recognized, but helps me a lot. Created a good quality document with 280MB and a reduced quality version with 150 MB (think it's not too big for today's internet connections).

Well, talking about SY documents as I own a Bentley T.

greets from Berlin (germany)

Winfried

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2466
Posted on Friday, 09 December, 2011 - 09:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Winfried,

Greetings in Berlin !

I an sure that everyone would very much like to have improvements to the documents in the library. I shall contact you separately on the matter.

In the meantime, Sali to Unter den Linden.

RT.

Peter Talbot
Frequent User
Username: squerryes

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, 09 December, 2011 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Winfried - Greetings from Westerham, UK

Richard , as I understand, will be in contact with you directly. All and any Information is a valuable resource and I look forward to reading your contribution(s).

Peter

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 07:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Winfried,

When I scanned the high-resolution version of TD2476 which is in the Library, I did not have time to stitch the 3 individual scans that comprise each page of the wiring diagrams into a single sheet matching the original [I only had a high-resolution A4 scanner].

If you could use your expertise to fix this problem by downloading this section and combining the individual pages for each sheet, I would be very appreciative as will every other SY owner with electrical problems needing circuit diagrams.

Welcome to our Forum and best regards
David

Peter Talbot
Frequent User

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 08:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David & Winfried

I've got all the necessary hardware & software to sort this one out. Suggestion : email the whole lot to me using the following email address: Squerryes@aol.com and I'll fix it.

Peter}}}

David Gore

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 19:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter,

The file is too big to email - I will post you a DVD with the files when I am back in Sydney next week and can get the original file from my archives. You will need a large monitor to overlay the pages when combining as there is an overlap in the original scans. I did manage to do this on a trial basis by converting the pdf pages into Photoshop png format and using Photoshop to overlay the pages. Thig big problem was my monitor was too small to line up the pages easily before converting the composite image back to pdf format. I must admit I gave up due to the time it would have taken to convert all the wiring diagrams in TSD2476 - it took me several months to scan the manual in the first instance.

Thanks for your offer to help and I hope your facilities are suitable.

Regards David

Peter Talbot
Frequent User

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 23:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David - Greetings from Westerham

Look forward to receiving DVD. I'm guessing till I see the files but my first reaction is that QuarkExpress would be my software of choice.

As regards monitors, yes - I do have a large one. It might be of interest both to yourself and others to know that most modern flat screen TVs can accept input from a PC - a cheap alternate to a dedicated large PC monitor - and probably only needing the settings to be optimised.

Regards

Peter

Peter Talbot
Frequent User

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, 13 December, 2011 - 11:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Being somewhat of an insomniac - it's coming up to 1.30am in the UK - I thought I'd give my idea of using QuarkXPress a trial run.

For those not familiar with QuarkXPress, I would explain that this is a high-level, Industry Standard, publishing programme - I'm using v7.3.

In considering both Winfried and Davids posts, several points arise:

1. There are 3 over-lapping scans to be stitched together to form a composite single.
2. It is probable that there will be some angular and vertical differences between scans of the 3 pages.
3. I'm presuming that the various scans were obtained at a constant setting of the scanner.

To examine the competence of QuarkXPress to resolve this issue I:

1. Scanned in the Fuseboard Identification Plate on page 78 of the Owner's Handbook for my 1986 RR Silver Spirit.
2. De-constructed the scan into 3 over-lapping segments.
3. Applied both angular and vertical variation to 2 of the 3 scans.
4. Took all 3 into QuarkXPress, corrected the imposed angular and vertical variations then joined up the 3 component scans, eliminating the over-laps, to form a single composite image.

It worked like a dream - no more than I had anticipated but felt I needed to check it out.

The file sizes are large - 165 to 263 Mb - so I'll have to take them into PhotoShop and reduce the file sizes before I can post them on this Forum - will try to do this over next few days.

Peter

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2467
Posted on Tuesday, 13 December, 2011 - 12:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter,

Can you send them over Pando http://www.pando.com/ or the like so we may post them on the web ? Pando will transfer 1GB files at no cost. Otherwise send me a PM and I can arrange a file transfer to my private server. I can reduce the file sizes etc in minutes and would rather start with raw versions of files.

RT.

Peter Talbot
Frequent User

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, 13 December, 2011 - 14:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard

These are .qxp files and unless you have QuarkXPress v7.3 (or the later v8.01) you won't be able to open them. Suggest: leave it with me for now and I'll get something organised.

Peter

Peter Talbot
Frequent User

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, 13 December, 2011 - 14:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My home system just can't cope so I've transferred everything to the main Ransten Foundation facility.

Peter

Dr Peter Talbot
Chairman of Trustees
The Charles Ransten Foundation

Peter Talbot
Frequent User

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, 13 December, 2011 - 15:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ye Gods and Little Fishes - what a !!***!! performance !!

I'll try to upload the starting scan and see how it comes out.

Peter

Peter Talbot
Frequent User

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, 13 December, 2011 - 15:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I give up - the image I tried to post is less than the 1000Kb limit.

Peter

Winfried Hirsch
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 13 December, 2011 - 17:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

the scans on rrtechnical.info are fine with good quality and all needed to get it back on single paged documents is some time. I have sent an example to Richard already. The document is a PDF-File with less than 2 MB in size. It can be printed easily in good quality on large format printers (i printed it in german DIN A1 size). Scaling it to lower and even higher paper sizes will work too.

Winfried

Winfried Hirsch
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, 13 December, 2011 - 17:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter,

sounds like your doing much investigation on this issue.
I think everything needed is already on rrtechnical. The scans are in good quality, don't know if every diagram could be combined without artifacts at all, but we will see. The source files are PDF the destination files will be too so I would use Photoshop to work on them (why use 3rd party conversions while processing the files?).

Winfried

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, 13 December, 2011 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the past I've done the same kind of thing just using Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2. On my 7 year old laptop! The last time it was to stitch together several multi megapixel photos, taken at a car club meet, to achieve a panoramic shot of all the club members and their cars present at the 2010 AGM. Having been taken by hand and without the aid of a tripod not all the photos were precisely horizontally or vertically aligned.

Like Peter Talbot I had to apply a 'jigger factor' to align them to each other (by trial and error) and then simply overlap each subsequent photo from left to right in a new oversize canvas until they were all stitched together seamlessly. Then it was simply a matter of cropping, resizing and scaling the resulting picture and canvas to suit the effect I wanted.

Until recently I've always had a second printer that could take up to A3+ size photo card or heat transfer paper. Unfortunately they don't seem to last long if not used very regularly as the print heads become blocked and just will not clean properly no matter what I do. Now I've just got the 2 A4 printers and can still dye sublimation transfer large pictures to the relevent substrates by splitting the image over several sheets and then taping them together before putting them through my heat press. It's much the same thing, but the result is something you can hold in your hand.

Peter Talbot
Prolific User

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, 13 December, 2011 - 21:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Winfried

I'm using QuarkXPress because (a) I like it and (b) It does everything I want with ease.

I find Photoshop of limited value when adjusting angular variations whilst Quark will adjust in defined 0.001 degree increments if required.

Peter

David Gore

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Tuesday, 13 December, 2011 - 23:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter,

CDROM with TSD 2476 will be sent airmail tomorrow 14/12/2011.

I think your QuarkXpress is the way to go after my experience with layering the individual images in Photoshop on a basic 2002 vintage CRT monitor. There are some angular variations in the scans as these were evident on my originals which were a reprint of the first edition of this manual. All scans were done on a HP 2400dpi optical scanner at a resolution of 600dpi.

Hope this project doesn't take up too many winter's nights and thank you for helping complete what I started so many years ago.

Regards David

Peter Talbot
Prolific User

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, 19 February, 2012 - 12:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David

CDROM arrived today - looks like it's been on a world tour - don't fully know where it's been all this time but the envelope is a patchwork of "Official" imprints from all over.

Regards

Peter

David Gore

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Monday, 20 February, 2012 - 20:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter,

I guess it just wanted some attention...... I wonder if the authorities thought it was contraband of some kind.

Have fun and best regards
David