Sneaky Chassis on Repaint Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Sneaky Chassis on Repaint « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 349
Posted on Friday, 27 November, 2015 - 09:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One does not have to look too far these days to see yak yak about chassis off Rotisserie restorations.

Fortunately and with the luck of the Irish I do not have to subject the Camargue to this type of caper.

I do however wish to repaint as far as the eye can see the entire chassis in gloss black probably with a POR product. Indeed I want the underneath of the car to look as new as the body and interior so that when the great day comes and I have her firing down the road, with Toad of Toad Hall on the Dashtop, a Tweed hat on, and PussNasty in her silk lined travel cage and I arrive at a physical and real RR meeting in Brisbane that I have some defence against the scrutinisers who no doubt go over the car with a fine tooth comb.

So my question chaps is assuming the chassis paint is original after I sandpaper it back I need to know what it was ie an acrylic or an enamel so that what ever I put over the top is compatible. Nothing worse than a nice shiny top coat that reacts violently to something under it.

If any of you have tried this type of caper any pointers you have will be greatly appreciate. I did this once partially with a 1969 Cadillac De Ville Convertible I once had. Additionally, I have a full 5 litre unopened can of Hammerite Waxoyl Rust proofing which I intent to apply inside the chassis box sections if possible on the basis that rust unfortunately attacks from the inside out. Unbelievable that this Hammerite Waxoyl has the rarer than rare "Made in England" mark on the side of it. I bought this stuff from a company here which imports English tractors JCB (horrid tractor to work on with its idiotic self greasing system) but they use this Wayoyl on the slide mechanisms on backhoes as an anti rusting method.

Also, while we are at it I am fielding for comments on the Lucas fog lights. One of mine is in need of a seal as the inside has rusted and I have just noticed that the retaining rim at the front has split. Question: Is this a foul product? Or is it worth restoring? Lucas appears to have a generally foul name due to some very shady products over the years. The spotlights look the part, but if they are just junk I will discard them.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Friday, 27 November, 2015 - 15:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Re the Lucas fog lights - reproduction units are available both licenced by Lucas and "knock-offs" from the sub-continent. I think the OEM foglights were the Lucas Square 8 units but I may be wrong.

Have a look at the following links to give you an idea what is available:

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproducts.asp?sg=1&pgCode=010&sgName=Electrical&pgName=Lighting&agCode=0022&agName=Spot%2FDriving%2FFog+-+Lucas+Lamps

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RX1701

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID009523

If you are an Ebay user, the Square 8's are often advertised there.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Friday, 27 November, 2015 - 16:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Back in the beginning of the new Millenium, POR 15 was the body sealer of choice for car restorers however, having put my spray painting and panel repair equipment in storage for the last 10 years, I am no longer up-to-date with current products.

http://www.ppcco.com.au/por06.html

I have also been an advocate for injecting deodorised fish oil into all body cavities for rust protection - my most successful use of fish oil was on a 1971 Ford Capri GT which was a notorious rust-prone vehicle, we kept this car until 1984 and it was rust-free when we sold it to a collector for subsequent restoration. I would be careful about using it around PussNasty as she may become addicted..........

I also would be very interested to know what current opinions are on products regarded as best-suited to protecting bodywork from corrosion.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 503
Posted on Friday, 27 November, 2015 - 19:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
If you come and visit me in Dubai - I will buy you dinner and give you a pair of Square Eights for your Camargue.

Grand Master

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, 27 November, 2015 - 22:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is very nice of you Omar and I most certainly would like to come to Dubai. I am due to be back in Russia in July next year for about a month but I do get troubled about flying these days with all the jolly nonsense going on in world.

I must have been tired when I first read your message and I thought "square eights" is that some type of currency or something and how am I going to tell Omar without insulting him that I only buy I never sell and that I could never sell the Camargue as the car has grown on me like some type of vine.

But I understand now. Well we will have to see what happens. I wish the media hype was correct here and I could just go to down town Dubai and buy a cheap Ferrari Testarossa for my collection but sadly the western media often tells bigger tales than Lewis Carol

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 766
Posted on Saturday, 28 November, 2015 - 06:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Lucas Square 8s came in plastic or Stainless cases. The plastic was cheaper.

The quality of the Stainless ones is quite good except the actual reflector and lens are just normal ok quality.

The actual performance was no better than a 20 quid pair from Halfords.

Spot lights is just clutter that does have uses.

If you are into a spot of customising then French them into the front panel under the bumper. This involves cutting spot lamp size hole in the panel and recessing the spots inside, then you can fit super duper modern ones. Which ever modern ones you use pick something that about the same size as other makes in case they get damaged and become unavailable.
This sort of mod is not quite permanent because its straight forward to cut the mod out and weld in new metal to the shape it was originally.

Or just fit them below the bumper as is my Shadow. It keeps the front end clean and sleek.

It is possible to make a new reflector and glue the old glass lens back on. I tried cooking foil once glued to the old reflector another dismal failure.

Grand Master

Post Number: 354
Posted on Saturday, 28 November, 2015 - 08:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob if I did not know you were joking about Frenching a panel on a Camargue I would deduct that you have been in your wife's Jeep too long at a time and the Colombian cocaine impregnated in the horrid Mexican's upholstery is having a diabolical effect on your rationality.

One simply does not French anything into something as rare as a Camargue. That's like leaving a used peanut butter knife on top of the Crown Jewels before the guards drag you to Old Bailey to explain the effect of several bottled of downed vodka the previous night consumed.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 768
Posted on Saturday, 28 November, 2015 - 10:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In reflection a step to far.

So try the under bumper look.

Like the SY2 Shadow. I don't like headlamp wipers they are so naff and untidy.

My Jeep came with side bars bull bars light guards and spot lamps. I took the whole lot off and bined them as useless junk. The look is much improved from very bad to just bad.

My latest mod is a hidden aerial. Its a copper 8mm rubber coated tube fixed wirh plastic p clips to the rat trap screws next to the sill. The rat trap is the ground plane. It works ok. The radio reception in Bournemouth is very good so this might not work in some places.

Not having to bother putting the aerial up and also the aerial gets in the way while working in that area is nice. I like listening to the radio in the car whilst working on it.