Opinions on Audio/ Video / Navigatio... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Opinions on Audio/ Video / Navigation / Parking Sensor upgrades « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Pope
Experienced User
Username: drpopper

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, 02 January, 2009 - 16:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am coming to the time when I have to make a decision if I am going to upgrade the stereo in the Flying Spur to a new unit and I'd like to upgrade to a system with built in bluetooth and navigation as well as a HDD/DVD based video system. I am also thinking of doing parking sensors and a rear camera as I have become very used to them with my old car.
The unit I am considering is this one HEREhttp://www.alpine.com.au/products/product.asp?modelID=383 as this has a power fold out screen for DVD and functions and has a integrated Navigation unit available along with built in Bluetooth and if I swap out the current CD changer for a new DVD/HDD based one and rewire the monitors in the rear headrests I can actually allow the kids to watch something in the rear using headphones while playing something different or using the rear camera or navigation system on the front screen. Its a 1 DIN unit and will fit in the dash of the Flying Spur without modification but the camera and parking sensors will require some modification to the bumpers. I plan on keeping the original radio/cd unit in case a future buyers wants it if I ever sell the car one day.
Has anyone performed a upgrade to their late SZ car using either the D106 or a similar integrated unit ? What about parking sensors/camera ... what are peoples experiences with installing those?
I'd like to keep the car as original as possible however the features offered by these new units that do everything are too attractive to ignore.
I'd be interested in getting peoples input on my plans and any advice.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Frequent User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, 02 January, 2009 - 19:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,

It's a great head-unit - Alpine have a pretty good rep among auto-audiophiles.

I considered exactly this unit before deciding to put the original radio in the 8-track slot in the Shadow ski-slope console and have a vertical mount unit in the centre console (with hidden amp and woofer). This was just an aesthetic thing - the radio looks more 'period' in the more visible position.

As for rear cameras, the most elegant unit I discovered is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/License-Plate-Back-up-Camera-Black-MV-CAMERA5_W0QQitemZ380049816499QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Audio_Video?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

It may not work on a Spur, I can't recollect exactly what the rear end of a Spur looks like. It would also require shaving the barest bit off your Aussie plate to fit. (NSW 5-digit)

Others will comment on the 'to drill or not to drill' for the rear sensors - if you do decide to do it go for the ones that can be painted over to match the duco. I'm still looking at the 'stick on' ones but it's a close thing to get them high enough off the ground to work - probably not a problem on the Spur.

The basic consideration for me was to try and 'future-proof' whatever technology I installed, but the rate at which these things are being miniaturised and made 'wireless' (what a quaint old term) probably makes this a pipedream.

Good luck !

Jeff

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Friday, 02 January, 2009 - 23:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The trouble with these devices is that, nowadays, they are obsolete within six months.

Remember the ridiculous cell phones provided in 1990s Crewe cars ? Those bricks are completely useless now, and were obsolete almost on the day they were sold.

I must say that the Bosch Park Pilot ultrasonic parking system http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/html/2262.htm has done me proud for a decade on my Turbo R, and it is still the premium device on the market. Unlike with a gimmicky camera system, you don't need four eyes to park using it. Park Pilot sensors fit best behind the finisher of the rear and front bumpers completely out of sight. Alternatively, they may be colour-keyed or painted over. Park Pilots are still the premium OEM fitting on quality vehicles, although there may be cheaper brands available now too

For sure, go for the latest DVD etc systems, but do consider the impending obsolescence of any SatNav system in particular.

My first SatNav was in a new 1998 420SEL, a CD-based system, and was obsolete by 2000. Also, even the newest built-in SatNavs need you to squint at the console to see the darned things unless you use a periscope or gouge a large hole in the upper part of the dashboard for a better sub-optimal location. Have a look at the SatNav on an Arnage for a laugh. Overall, the all-in-one systems are, to me anyhow, too much of a cheap compromise.

The latest TomTom SatNavs are unbeatable in my opinion. They are upgraded hourly or monthly by uploads, are cheap, can be swapped instantly between vehicles, are compact, and are easily thrown away next year when the new models or better brands arrive. They are great to use in rental cars upon arrival at an unknown location. The big bonus is that, by simply unclipping it to put in your briefcase, it doesn't attract thieves who do thousands in vehicle damage to steal the system to sell for twenty bucks at the pub.

RT.

Paul Pope
Experienced User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, 03 January, 2009 - 09:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The thing that appeals to me about the D106E Sat nav unit and camera is that it is integrated into the system as a display and interface and it works via the screen that folds out of the dash unit but it is a separate box that is software upgradable via a SD card. Having Bluetooth,Audio, Video, D-TV, reverse camera and Sat Nav all built into the same head unit avoids any unsightly wiring or display issues and makes it look as if it came with the car.
The Alpine all in one system is hardly a cheap option being around $15,000 without installation.
As for the parking sensors the Bosch ones were the ones I was looking at and their display can be integrated into the Alpine dash screen too.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1630
Posted on Thursday, 12 March, 2009 - 04:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We have not heard about this one for a while. No news is good news.

Presumably, the Alpine, LCD screens and TomTom are now fitted, and all looped by USB or RJ45.

As a general follow-up on USB, can it be assumed that USBs have now more-or-less universally retrofitted to all our cars by now ?

There is a bit on it at: http://rrtechnical.info/miscellaneous/usb.pdf

Paul Pope
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, 12 March, 2009 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Its all installed and its all one unit the Alpine has a powered built in screen. Also has built in Bluetooth and Navigation. Works a treat and fantastic sound.

Jan Forrest
Experienced User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, 13 March, 2009 - 22:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, I didn't see this thread until today so any 'advice' I may accidently impart is too late for the OP.
However ...
I fitted a set of sonic reversing sensors to my Shadow over a year ago as the large overhang at the rear made it difficult to know where The Old Girl's bustle was when parking in tight spaces.
The unit I fitted came from a well-known discount chain in Blighty and cost somewhere between £30 and £40. The low profile display sits neatly on the steering wheel cowl without occluding the instruments and the control box is perched on top of the 100 litre LPG tank in the boot. The only problem was in mounting the transponders as the instructions warned against mounting them in or through metal.
In the end I took a pair of walking stick rubber ferrules - which just happened to be of the correct internal diameter - and inserted the transponders into them. The wiring was pushed through a hole I 'drilled' in the back of them and they were then fixed to the car by two of the number plate screws through another hole drilled in the backs. It was a simple matter to route the wiring through an existing hole in the boot lid hidden behind the plate. The power for the unit comes from splicing into the left hand reversing light as it only takes a few milliamps.
Now when I reverse I only have to watch the sides and can listen to the beep from the display, although it does give an indication of the space behind through a series of LEDs: When the beeps turn into an unbroken 'whine' I know that there is only 4" between The Old Girl and whatever is behind her.
Well, it works for me!

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, 17 March, 2009 - 07:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jan,

I enquired about something like this but was told the sensors have to be at least 450mm above the ground - any chance of a photo of your installation?

Cheers,

Jeff

Jan Forrest
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, 17 March, 2009 - 08:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff,
As soon as she's home I'll take a pic or several of the various components and positioning. Surprisingly I've found the original fitting instructions! The 'recomended' fitting height is 450 - 550 mms. As it's been well over a year since I fitted the kit I cannot recall if the height is actually within those parameters.
Still works, though.

Jan Forrest
Experienced User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, 20 March, 2009 - 22:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, she's home! At last!!
As promised here are a couple of pics of the reversing aid installation
http://www.centprods22.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Rolls/Sensor.jpg
I've measured the height of the sensors and they're just a little over 550mm from the floor. They'll be a little higher by 50-75mm when she gets new rear springs. You can just see the LPG filler lurking in the shadows under the bumper.
http://www.centprods22.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Rolls/Head.jpg
This is how the head unit balances nicely on the steering cowl.
http://www.centprods22.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Rolls/Revealed.jpg
The control box (powered from the reversing light circuit) is nicely out of the way on top of the 100 litre LPG tank in the boot.
http://www.centprods22.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Rolls/Concealed.jpg
With the carpet back in place there's little to see The black tape will be tidied up at a later date.
The unit was made by a company called "House" who make (made?) about a dozen different versions with 6 - 8 sensors and/or camera assistance. Unfortunately I don't have an address for them.
After her long enforced rest I'm giving the battery an overnight trickle charge. Whether it'll still be any good is doubtful but it may do for a few days until I get a new one: Then I can bleed the hydraulics and do the other things ready for her new MOT.

Dr. Omar M. Shams
New User
Username: omar

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, 02 May, 2009 - 05:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,
get rid of that ammeter and replace it with a useful temeparture guage. There are plenty of threads about this conversion. I am in the process of doing it on my Shadow 1. Yes the UK is not as hot as where I am in Dubai, but your summers have been getting warmer of late. At the moment, your only form of protection from overtemperature is a buzzer that tells you that "it is too late to do anything about it now".

Jan Forrest
Frequent User

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, 02 May, 2009 - 09:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, Dr Shams, or may I call you Omar?
As it happens I bought a multi-display instrument shortly before I lost The Old Girl. It houses an oil pressure guage, water temperature guage, voltmeter and a tachometer with customer settable over rev warning light. Obviously it came with the necessary wiring, sensors/senders and optional threaded adaptors.
I haven't installed it so far as I've yet to determine a mounting point/method that doesn't look too out of character for her.

Dr. Omar M. Shams
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2009 - 05:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,
This is a tricky matter as any intrusion in the cockpit makes our "old girls" look like "old hags". To keep them looking pretty, I have opted for the standard looking temperature guage. I have attached the images below:

(Message edited by david_gore on 03 May 2009)

Jan Forrest
Frequent User

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2009 - 08:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've measured the new instrument and it should just fit in place of the driver's side 'bullseye' air vent so I might just sacrifice that vent and fit it there.
Fortunately, despite several colour options for ilumination, it has white figures on a black background for the tacho and reversed for the minor guages.
I'd post a photo, but my camera is playing silly buggers at the moment.

Dr. Omar M. Shams
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, 04 May, 2009 - 06:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,
have you considered using the cassette player slot and making some clever flip up cover to hide the instruments a-la- James Bond style? The Shadow IIs have an ashtray that has this feature. The bulls-eye vent is a valuable item in my part of the world, but perhaps where you are it may not be such a "hot potatoe" in the cabin.
Just few thoughts.............

Brian Crump
Experienced User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, 04 May, 2009 - 19:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The solution is simple: staff.
Regards,
Brian

Jan Forrest
Frequent User

Post Number: 72
Posted on Monday, 04 May, 2009 - 23:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"The solution is simple: staff."

But you just can't get good 'uns any more!

The cassette player and ashtray slots are both non-starters as they're both in use: The former contains a radio/CD player and the latter an ... ashtray (yes, I do smoke in The Old Girl). Between the two is the switch and 'idiot light' for the rear fog lights. Even so, both positions are well out of normal field of view when watching the road ahead.
As the aircon is still working 'just like wot it shud' the loss of a single air vent shouldn't be much of a problem and makes for easy access to the relevent wiring.
At the moment the instrument is of minor importance since she goes for her annual roadworthiness test on Wednesday - a retest as she failed the first one due to a totally collapsed outer track rod end (GBP(£)215, ouch!) and excessive CO emmissions at 5.3% compared to a permissable level of 4.5%. The emmissions should also be OK now as I've got some LPG in the tank and made her capable of starting on it from cold while still running sweetly when hot. Then I intend to give her chassis a good coat of underseal and then tackle the paintwork which is beginning to bubble in places: Mostly around the arches and undersills.
Ps. For some reason I cannot discern the rear fog lights can be lit with the main lighting switch in the Dipped Beam position, but not when the front fogs are lit. I've looked at the wiring diagram and found the relevent fuses (behind the glove box) but both are good. As for the relay I think that could be the one I can see in the same place, but it's not easy to get at or remove for testing. Any ideas, my Antipodean chums?

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, 25 January, 2011 - 07:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've installed a set of rear parking sensors on SRH20280. I did it without drilling holes.

The sensors mount onto the number plate frame and came from the UK. They are available in Australia - however - if you have a Shadow series one or earlier the bumper overriders will interfere with the type available here.

The later model from the UK is designed for cars with 'tow bars': you plug in an extra wire and the little black box reads your rear end. Remove the wire and the system will ignore the overriders ever after.

My rear numberplate has 4 screw holes, only 2 of which are used on my NSW number plates.

You could drill a small hole for the wires if you cared to but I just used the exisiting ones. This involved cutting the connectors off and rejoining the wires inside the boot.

Here is the exterior - I used a metal frame, some plasti-bond,sandpaper and paint.

Here is the small (3cms x 1.5cms) light on the inside at the top of the rear windscreen - it can be seen in the rear vision mirror.

Two little lights change colour (one left one right)through a sequence of yellow-green-blue-red to show distance. There is a small buzzer which does the usual beeping in increasing frequency to show the same thing. If you get one of these kits order the buzzer extension wire at the same time. The light is extra to the kit as well but quite inexpensive.

The whole system can be adjusted for sensitivity and volume.

And here is a link to an earlier discussion on these boards which has a photo of a different neat way of doing the same thing.

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17/2346.html

And all easily removable with no mark left on the car.

This week I start installing the new sound system; I've laid in an extra bottle of gin to cope with the inevitable stress,

(Message edited by jefmac2003 on 25 January 2011)

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 245
Posted on Tuesday, 25 January, 2011 - 08:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is photo from a bit further away showing how unobtrusive it looks on the number plate.