Pre / post compliant suspension drivi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Pre / post compliant suspension driving differences. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carl Jones
New User
Username: carl888

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, 05 January, 2015 - 16:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recently drove a compliant suspension Silver Shadow. I admit I couldn't tell the difference between this vehicle and a pre compliant suspension version both in road noise and driving dynamics.

Question if I may:

Should there be any differences? Assuming both cars were well maintained I would have thought the compliant suspension Silver Shadow should be better insulated from road noise. Perhaps tyre selection plays a bigger part overall?

Thanks for any thoughts and opinions.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 729
Posted on Tuesday, 06 January, 2015 - 01:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tyre noise can be an annoyance in some cars, but it's an environmental nuisance if you live too close to a motorway. When the UK's M1 motorway was built near my childhood home it ran just a few metres from the far end of my street. The homeowners at that end were compensated with £thousands£ for the loss in value of their properties and given double glazing for free. I'm pretty certain that it would now be impossible to hold a normal conversation in those gardens these days due to the vast increase in traffic levels since the 60's.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.87
Posted on Tuesday, 06 January, 2015 - 06:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The compliant suspension was introduced to allow the use of radial tyres.

The problem with radials instead of cross plies is that early radials were noisy, which was transmitted to the car.

Fortunately modern tyres are much better and quieter.

My car 1974 is a compliant car without flaired arches. The correct tyres are 205 not 235.
It's hard to tell the differences between comp and non comp.

I have often wondered what would happen it the compliance bushes were replaced with soft plastic bushes.

Jag XJ6 rear suspension sits on rubber V blocks. We used drill through them and put a bolt through and pull the Vs hard together. This made the car handle better on twisty roads, but the ride was slightly harsher for rear seat passengers.

The noise of tyres at speed can be very noisy to others.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Carl Jones
New User
Username: carl888

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, 13 January, 2015 - 16:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for the replies gentlemen.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 3164
Posted on Tuesday, 13 January, 2015 - 21:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl,

Tyres have come a long way and I would suggest that the complaint suspension (late 1972 onwards) is nowadays a drawback, notably in tyre scrubbing and especially in suspension life. A noisy radial tyre of 1972 bears no resemblance to a tyre produced after 1985. Newer-generation tyres are far happier with the tauter suspension bushings of the pre-1973 cars - much more in line with what tyres are designed for these days.

Now, a pre-complaint suspension fitted to a Turbo R would be nice provided the steering rack does not leak.

RT.