More other cars. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » More other cars. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.3.64.11
Posted on Friday, 23 June, 2006 - 04:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I got a ride in a bentley Azure --spelling--.

it is the best car I have ever be in.

words do not not convey how good the bentley is -- To me it is a Rolls-Royce with bentley badges.

However I think the BMW Phantom probably drives even better but does looks so good.

That Cadilac I tried is not even close. But on the other hand it does not cost the same does it - you only get what you pay for.

The Cadilac cost £40,000 and for that money you could get a very nice second hand Royce or a nice new BMW or Jaguar so why the company brought the Cadilac is a mystery but no doubt there is some sort of lease deal going on which has pleased the accounts department.

For Dave Gore

The accounts department made a comment about some steel I ordered Monal K 500 4 pieces 100kg mass total cost £6000 and when I finished machining them they weighed 40 kilos and I threw 60 kilos of swarf in the skip. The Monal was used for making a bomb to go down a well shaft to blow up a broken drill bit which was 2000 feet deep. Which why oil exploration is so expensive.

The yield pressure is 135,000 psi so Shadow hydraulics are quite low pressure.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 602
Posted on Friday, 23 June, 2006 - 22:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Bob,

Don't you keep a non-ferrous scrap bin in the shop? When I was in industry, these were invariably known as the "Xmas Club" as the contents managed to find their way off the plant by various means and sold to scrap metal merchants. The resulting funds were then put aside to buy Xmas presents for the family or fund a works Xmas party for the plant workers if the management were more attune to what was happening and legitimised what was going on - saved management the cost of a Xmas party for a large number of their employees but management still had their own party at considerable expense.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.3.64.11
Posted on Monday, 26 June, 2006 - 03:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No unfortunately all our scrap is handled under contract by another firm.

We are part of a small company which is in turn part of another small company which is onwed by a large company --very confusing who I actually work for but they pay the salary on time without fail so I don't question too much.

Also in the UK the inland revenue are always on the look out for untax perks- so they can levy a tax on the perk. Even a free cup tea raises an eyebrow.

The original cost of the material sometimes bear little influence on the scrap value depends how much effort the scrap man has to put in. Best scrap to get hold on is usually the bronzes. I have just brought in a big lump of Admirality Bronze, the swarf from this is already earmarked by our contractor.

IN general in the UK the scrap metal business is not what it used to be and things like car batteries have become almost worth less-- due probaly to the acid and plastic.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 682
Posted on Sunday, 23 July, 2006 - 13:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For Bob UK.

I am now musing as to why you won't register for this site? Your contributions are most interesting and often fileable(?) but I am reluctant to pinch them without your permission/knowledge. To obtain the latter I need to be able to contact you which is quite simple if you are registered - so please - I promise I won't stalk you nor ask for detailed instructions in Swahili on removing the rear sub-frame from a Camargue! And as an extra bonus you would save David Gore that much effort 'processing' your offerings.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Monday, 24 July, 2006 - 00:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have tried to register but the page refuses my email address.

Something about not allowing my email address in that domain.

very confusing.

You may pinch as many of my ideas as you like.

If it keeps a car on the road where it should be then I am pleased.

Dave Gore --what am I doing wrong?

Meanwhile if you contact Dave Gore or Pat Lockyer they both have my email address.