To B or not to B? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » To B or not to B? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Follia
Yet to post message
Username: robertofollia

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, 28 June, 2007 - 20:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen,
Just to say hello as this is my first post here as now I have successfully registered in these incredible and superb and really helpful forum.

I have always had a soft spot for the glorious Crewe Cars, notoriously the SY and SZ series. Yes, the R and S-types Bentleys and the Clouds are great, but can't avoid the SYs and SZs.
I always knew they were a new dimension, kind of "heaven on earth". What I did not know they could be so affordable today, and I knew their maintenance could be nearly prohibitive in terms of cost.

But, having met this great forum thanks to rrbew and google, after 15 nearly sleepless nights (there's a lot to read here, and Tee One Topics are just a must) I know the difference between RR363 and LHM (previously I did not know later Royces and Bs used LHM instead of the RR363), I know how hard can be changing wheel bearings on SYs and early SZs (and how easy turbos and post 30,000 chassis can be, by the way) and did not know changing and renewing spheres could be so easy. THANKS Mr Coburn for putting together that work of art. This can help us enthusiasts not only to buy, but also to maintain these great Perfect Motor Cars

To sum up, I've been really bitten by the Crewitis bug, a new disease whose symptoms can only be treated and cured by having one of Crewe's finest in one's garage, caressing, driving, and of course it.

Yes, but which one?
-SYs, The ideal candidate would be a later post 1977 corniche 2 dr saloon, or SSII, not having the master cylinder brake layout, and carb'd engine would be easy to service.
I fear about RR363 hydraulics, mainly if the pump leaks into the engine as a catastrophic end may result, and everyday use too. But I like the looks and style, and doing a yearly or every two years
system flush could keep problems away (or should do it)

-SZs. These is a Bentley territory. I mean, I like more RR SYs and B-style SZs (can't find any reason though).
But which SZ B?
-One pre injection eight? It's easier to service but rear wheel bearings and disks renewal can be as painful as on the SYs with the woodruff key and the zillion-ton-press and breaker bar to take the assembly apart.
-One Turbo R? I realy like the engine, the effortless performance, and the discreet, elegant, classy (but never understated) feel. At least rear bearing are much easier to service.
I'm waiting for a Turbo R buyers guide to reach me. What is clear is that I should stay away from carburettored turbo's (even though I thought they were simpler to service, I've read real horror stories).
Besides, it's quite odd as I have read the survival figures and they state that only a rough 30-something percent still survive, which is a really really low number.
Which model year turbo is more recommended? Active ride is not a problem as if it fails it can be deleted and normal dampers fitted.
Can the Turbo Rs break one's finance as some posts have suggested? Driven frequently, and doing top-class service and maintenance should work OK.

Should I run away when I see one that shows a bit or fust in the wheelarch zone? (there are repair sections but repairs can be huge, the rust worms are the worst to be found).
The worst enemy of all these cars is neglect. So may I go for a high maileage one (that means worked wonders as it was used) or for a low one (which means was not used so much, maybe because of problems or that something hidden is waiting to break).

I am also ready to renew all hoses, water pump, all filters, spheres (if necessary) and any other hardware that would need renewal before putting the Perfect Motor Car to use, just to be on the safe side and because Crewe's finest were built to be enjoyed and used, not to be in the repair shop.

I've spent 15 years as a Land Rover only fanatic, and managed to make reliable a 1998 Discovery Series II v8 (which, by the way, was related as one of the least reliable off roaders ever built by LR).
Well, sorry for such a long post, thank you in advance for taking your time to read it, I apologise if I caused you a headache and any advice from members would be really appreciated, as I am with the "to B or not to B syndrom"

Best regards from Spain
Robert

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 910
Posted on Sunday, 08 July, 2007 - 09:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert/ How nice of you to say encouraging things about Tee One Topics. They were originally written in desperation to counter the advances of the tea and bikkies brigade. That they have attracted such interest is gratifying and indeed this is in no small measure thanks to this forum where they used to reside after I gave up posting them to a small coterie of enthusiasts around the world.

Unfortunately the new web site and more particularly the WIKI format seems to be incompatible with our intentions so I will be unable to post further editions until this is sorted out. They will still be posted on the Victoria Branch web site rrocavictoria.org.au and of course the excellent public site rrbew.co.uk which you have already found.

Don't be too starry eyed about our cars. They are just a vehicle and have no magic or curative properties. They are complex and if it wasn't for the reputation of the name most of them would have been scrapped long ago. The only real way to enjoy and survive with these cars is to do as much of the work on them yourself. Until recently this was somewhat frowned upon as being inapproprite to the image, a bit like the Queen changing the oil on her Phantom IV in the courtyard at the front of the palace! In fact to this day, I get the odd sneer from members who consider that what I write about the cars is 'not quite proper'. Of course I am very sensitibe to this and on hearing such remarks make my way to my '84 Spur, kneel down in front of the Flying Lady and ask her forgiveness. It seems she is not able to forgive me yet noting the leaking hydraulic reservoirs which have rotted the sub-frame bushes, the perpetually leaking oil gauge pressure sender a newly leaking radiator core and wipers that appear to be infiltrated by a vicious poltergeist! But she knows I love her and her foibles and although I am vulgar enough to discuss them even publically, she knows I will repair them and keep an eye out for any new tricks she might think up.

The Flying Lady and I both smile privately when we see some immaculate cars fronting up for inspection knowing that under those beautifully polished panels there often lurks filthy hydraulics ,worn suspension and dubious brakes. I think it was Portia who said 'All that glisters is not gold'!.

If you can afford one I would head for a carburetted SZ car ideally about the mid eighties with a good service history or provenance. Don't be too fussy about paint etc as long as all the bits are there and there has not been expensive damage. Above all have the car inspected before you buy, by a known reliable person who is familiar with the vehicles. Good luck

Robert Follia
New User
Username: robertofollia

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 11 July, 2007 - 02:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's a great honour for me being able to be a member of this great forum, commmunity, or family, all united by the same aim: keeping, using and enjoying a proper motoring. We are very lucky to count with some real gurus, as Mr. Coburn, the flying lady expert.

I totally agree with you. Flying (both Bs and Ladies) were -and are- probably the best cars in the world, but that does not mean that they are bullet proof (well maybe, due to the extent that some owners neglect them) or they are perfect. Every car manufactured has its niggles, no one will ever be free from them. But a Royce, a Bentley has that aura, that feel, that is unique to them.

I agree with you absolutely. No car is perfect, and the more complicated it is, the harder (and costlier) it is to make it right. And the collection of valuable information you have made available for free in Tee One Topics (only one is missing to have the full collection, my router is going to explode), is not only fantastic, it is priceless. This is really precious and outstanding help for enthusiasts, and the main help in order users/owners/enthusiasts can fulfil their aim: Finding and buying one, maintaining it and bringing it back to its former glory, or to be simpler, keeping these superb cars on the road.

Going back to my previous post, you are right again. As simpler the car is, the easier it is to maintain.

My dream had always been finding a good pre-active suspension (only fuel injected and ABS equipped, pr even pre-abs) Turbo R, but I guess they can be more troublesome in the future, as well as getting parts for the fuel injection.

Carbs are easier to maintain, and never leave you stranded.

I'll begin my search, though. And let you know the results, for sure.
Best regards and thanks again for your help, comments and support,

Robert