Telstra Broadband connect now blocks ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Telstra Broadband connect now blocks access to post-war technical page. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 645
Posted on Sunday, 29 December, 2019 - 22:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Telstra relies on external agencies for their blocking lists. The reasons for making it on to one of these lists are multiple & varied: new IP address assigned; http not https prefix; some techie in California having personal "issews".

We are not alone in suffering Telstra's world class IT skills and cutting edge infrastructure development ... https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Telstra-Broadband-Protect/Telstra-Broadband-Protect-blocking-my-website/td-p/767726

Thank the long absent lord they banned Huawei - imagine what a dog's breakfast the Chinese would have made of our unique blend of copper and fibre, underpinned as it is by underpaid spotty yoofs in sales centres where tech support is not part of the business model. As for the idea that a genuine member of the human species might answer the telephone at a telephone company: are you bonkers?

Mike Thompson
Prolific User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Monday, 30 December, 2019 - 01:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One can always do it like the Chinese do it, anonymously. As:

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/post-war technical page.com

Mike - I cannot get this link to work using my usual fixes; would you please check the address and post the link again.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, 30 December, 2019 - 07:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is what you get when you have a company that had a monopoly and not a single person in any sort of supervisorial or management position is yet to come to terms with it.
Then you have a board that is 1/2 appointed by the government of the day so appointments are done as a reward for faithful hacks & other no bodies with no skills other than lining their pockets & shifting blame.\
Remember we got the totally useless 3rd world NBN because of the ineptitude of the Telstra boards.
From 1985 Telstra rolled out fiber, the biggest fiber network on the planet and it was scheduled to go "fiber to the home" .
So much so that by 1998 the board had put a flat out ban on replacing any copper cable because the copper was going to be upgraded to fiber .
However they lost a court case seeking to recover part of the cost of the upgrade from resellers & competitors using their fiber, so the board canned the fiber roll out in order to force the hand of the regulators.
We then had a change of government & Mr Rudd siezed on dissatisifaction with the network & announced the NBN.
Thus the board had managed to throw away Telstra's only actual advantage in the market and their major asset.
At this point I started to sell down my Telstra shares as the company has no future which is a shame as we used to be world leaders in telecommunictions , before the government decided to improve it by making it a PPC .
Back in June telstra closed the Mulgoa exchange as the NBN had been connected for just over 2 years.
However they neglected to notice that there were 182 customers still connected to the exchange because Bents basin Road, Nortons Basin Road & Silverdale Rd between the Nepean river & Farnsdale road ( 75 km from the GPO ) were technically impossible to connect to the fiber network so we were scheduled for a fixed wireless connection.
Unfortunately for us Google maps does not have contour lines and the twits failed to realize they would need 3 if not 4 towers to do that.
Thus without notice we have been shuffled off into the "too hard" basket & are now supposed to sign up for a third rate Sky Muster connection which would allow the NBN Co management & board to meet their 2020 target date & quallify for massive bonuses.

Now to get to the nub of things.
I registered a complaint with my ISP ( TPG ) and both the land line & the internet were back on line within 2 hours.
The people who made a complaint direct to Telstra were treated with total contempt, lied to and forced to :-
1) Sit by their computers & phones while the Asian "customer service" person worked their way through the pile of cue cards.
This was doubled because you had to do it twice, once for the phone & a second time for the broadband.
2) told they had a problem that would require a technician to visit ( no dial tone is a bit of a give away ) and make an appointment
3) sent a smart phone from Melbourne by same day courier $$$$$$ to be used as a temporary hot link for the dead DSL lines
4) told all sorts of lies rather than being told the exchange was accidentially shut down ( because they are not allowed to admit any sort of liability ), boadroom decision.
5) finally reconnected after 3 to 5 weeks with neither a reason nor appology.

Now here is the killer.
The customers who made a complaint to the TIO got the same treatment but they had to wait up to a week before any of this rubbish started because "official TIO proceedures needed to be followed " and only the person whose name was on the bill was allowed to talk to the very polite but totally useless Asian customer care person so many of them had to leave work early or take a sick day

Then to add insult to injury the next land line bill had a $ 5/ month price increase.

Funny enough the affected commercial customers are mounting a joint damages claim.

Apparently the board are all fortune tellers and the massive profits from the 5G license is going to make the company a motza.

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 646
Posted on Monday, 30 December, 2019 - 18:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

AAAARGH !!!!

TEE ONE TOPICS is blocked as well!

The heading for this thread by the way should be "Telstra Broadband Protect" not "connect".

But given that it doesn't connect I guess it's an understandable mistake on my part.

You can go into a Byzantine process to get Telstra to delete the "protection" ... in the fullness of time - but only from your own account. Tough luck if you're using a computer, or tablet, or phone away from home!

Trevor, I worked for Telstra when Ziggy started this whole "outsourcing", privatisation, neoliberal management malarkey and I could tell you some stories but I don't want to get my blood pressure up.

Complete destruction of an entire organisation's human capital, skillsets and experience. I loathe them with a passion.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2991
Posted on Tuesday, 31 December, 2019 - 01:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There should almost certainly be a mechanism to request whitelisting for RROC content by domain.

I've had to deal with this in the past, from the e-mail side, when certain domains were being incorrectly blacklisted, and it is generally not all that difficult once you know what a given service provider's mechanism for doing so is.

ISPs/e-mail service providers really don't want to become known for blocking non-spam and non-dangerous content. It is amazing how easy it is for certain domains to get blacklisted by folks marking e-mail messages received from same as spam, when they're not, but I'm shocked to learn that something like the RROC-Australia sites, which do not have anything to do with e-mail and which certainly don't spam or host dangerous content, somehow got blacklisted.

Brian, who cannot comment on Telstra's mechanism specifically, obviously, but it must exist

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, 31 December, 2019 - 10:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK ,
This is interesting
I run Linux on a mac
And when I just checked everything is there and accessiable
Way way back I downloaded everything that I thought might be of use as I had been caught out when GeoCities closed down as several groups I was associated with had a page & archived material there which of course vanished without warning .

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 647
Posted on Tuesday, 31 December, 2019 - 11:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting indeed. I'm using Chrome. I'll try Firefox later and if not use a VPN?

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Tuesday, 31 December, 2019 - 13:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is the anonymous URL as requested. (By David)

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/

then at the end put any site address that is blocked. As:

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://rrtechnical.info/TeeOne/teeone.htm

(Note to David the post-war at the end is an example of and address, I guess put a space inbetween the last / and "post-war technical page.com")

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3543
Posted on Tuesday, 31 December, 2019 - 14:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

I am on Telstra NBN FTTN and there are no problems accessing and opening Tee One Topics from the Technical Library using Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge as the browser.

Perhaps there is a problem with your antivirus software?

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 648
Posted on Tuesday, 31 December, 2019 - 17:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David I checked with Telstra. We were signed up with their "Telstra Broadband Protect" by default, as most people apparently have been for some time. It's a relatively new NBN account (2 years). I've applied online to be taken off it but was told it'll "happen when it happens" by Telstra on the phone.

The page that comes up instead is a Telstra page informing you that it's Telstra's filter "protecting" you - without any option to proceed if you think the page is safe anyway.

If you read the link I posted above it's clear it's Telsta's doing. Most people (me included & I'm no slouch on reading fine print & asking questions) have no idea what not opting out at the joining stage implies: it's the fact it's by default that annoys me the most.

Luckily I have multiple saved copies of most of the library.

Avery Wise
New User
Username: hans3

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, 01 January, 2020 - 01:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Were the service manual links removed from Post-war technical as a result of this? Unrelated but Bentley Heritage parts has also been offline.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, 01 January, 2020 - 03:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff.
Obviously it is a problem with your ISP and not with the site.
Don't take that sort of rubbish
Send them a letter not an email and sate clearly that they have the option of lifting the ban right now or explaining why Telstra has blocked a safe site to the TIO and you will be seeking compensation.
With most telcos, a complaint does not exist until the TIO gets involved.
I had a problem with Optus when I initially did a triple install ( phone, TV & Internet ).
They did nothing till I took it to the TIO when suddenly they pretended that it was a brand new problem.
Having been inside the animal you of all people should understand the level of contempt that Telstra holds their customers in

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Wednesday, 01 January, 2020 - 10:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff click this link and tell us what happens. Thanks

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://rrtechnical.info/TeeOne/teeone.htm

Graham Phillips
Experienced User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, 01 January, 2020 - 11:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Well that link works for me.

Graham.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3546
Posted on Wednesday, 01 January, 2020 - 12:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

If you go to a Telstra Shop, they have access to your account and if you get the right "techie" who can change the account/service settings, your problem might be fixed.

Given your location, the closest Telstra stores would be Canberra and Wodonga. I would try a phone call to either store and see if your problem can be fixed without requiring a store visit.

Forget the Telstra call centre "service" - the "consultants" are nowhere as competent as the right store staff from my experience. Long shot but worth a try IMHO.

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 649
Posted on Wednesday, 01 January, 2020 - 15:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David. I'm happy to say the problem was fixed when I turned on the computer this morning. Perhaps doing it online was all it took. I'd run into this message page on other sites I'm not so familiar with and assumed they were defunct. I can now access both Tee One and the Technical documents again.Happy new Year to All!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: