The sphere shop Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » The sphere shop « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 599
Posted on Sunday, 08 December, 2019 - 18:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all I used to buy my spheres from the sphere shop but their website is down, are they still in business?
Where best to buy from?
Cheers Mike

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2221
Posted on Sunday, 08 December, 2019 - 20:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have dealt with these in the past, worth a check with your car details.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/suspension-sphere-pneumatic-suspension-10440/rolls-royce/silver-spirit/silver-spirit-mk-i-saloon/131824-6-7

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2019 - 02:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just bough these.
They were good too.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolls-Royce-Bentley-Pair-Gas-Spring-Spheres-AND-Pair-Accumulator-Spheres-NEW/163960212375?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2985
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2019 - 03:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If anyone does find any definitive information regarding the Sphere Shop having gone out of business, would you please let me know?

I have them listed in the resources file since so many have been happy with their products, but if they're gone, the listing needs to be, too. Unfortunately, this is one where I had not bothered to list a phone number as it was on the website. I need to remember to do this consistently so that a call can be made to see if "anyone's home" in instances such as this one.

I've seen many a website disappear because no one (other than the original designer and person who set it up) seems to realize that you need to renew your domain name registration and/or pay ongoing hosting fees. For all I know the business may still be going, but their website definitely isn't.

Brian

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2019 - 06:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi Brian
The number I have for them is 0033 6 24797450
But I'm looking for other suppliers anyway ok
Cheers
Mike

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2986
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2019 - 07:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

Do they answer when called during what would be "normal business hours?"

That's international long distance for me (and I don't speak any French, either) but I'd imagine it's within typical cell service within the EU (which you're still part of). If so, can you try giving a call to see what happens?

Brian

Tony Mitchell
New User
Username: tony_mitchell

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2019 - 17:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello chaps,
Speaking of 'in business', does anyone know if Chapmans in Melbourne are still going? The information on Google claims they are out of business. Is this true?
Cheers.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2019 - 19:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you need accumulator spheres for LHM (or HSMO) vehicles (late SS2s and Spirits +++) look for Citroen accumulator spheres. They are identical and don't believe anyone who says different.

HTH. Alan D.

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 636
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2019 - 20:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tony,

Bob retired earlier this year. His son Neal has moved on in a different direction and the workshop has closed. I was lucky, I bought his last project engine a few months ago and he helped Matt's Automotive in Kylsyth instal it. He's still supplying parts as a retirement hobby - if you can find him.

The engine is a mechanical wonder, rebuilt on a perfect Crewe block, with modern seals, teflon coated pistons, laser perfect crankshaft - I could go on but I think a handbuilt RR engine done by Bob speaks for itself. It really is better than new. And a bargain.

I had the entire front suspension overhauled with Bob's upgraded anti-roll bar package included and I'm the happiest I've been since I bought the car 12 years ago.

With the engine out it was so much easier to fix those 100 little annoyances in the engine bay as well!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2019 - 21:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan, the charge pressures I believe are different!

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 411
Posted on Monday, 09 December, 2019 - 21:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What a bummer. I never had to replace one, but the Sphere Shop would have been my go-to stop if I had. (And the name was easy to remember!)

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, 10 December, 2019 - 19:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Alan, the charge pressures I believe are different!"
No the charge pressures are the same, though Citroen quote/specify 62.5 bar and RR/B says 62 bar (or v.v. - I can't be bothered to look it up).

Alan D.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Wednesday, 11 December, 2019 - 12:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Taking out the Accumulators + Accumulator control valves on top is no fun job.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 649
Posted on Wednesday, 11 December, 2019 - 19:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This company used to do Spheres and recon Shadow accumulators at a reasonable price . I have not contacted them recently.https://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/category/Automotive-Repair-Shop/Pleiades-Car-Services-154368294714268/
Mark

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Thursday, 12 December, 2019 - 07:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So not the not the spheres for the pneumatic suspension!

This may help with different makes from 23+ pounds.

https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/suspension-sphere/citroen/cx/cx-mk-ii-25-d-73hp-1985-1992/

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Friday, 13 December, 2019 - 05:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just replaced the gas struts on my 1996 Azure and what a huge difference to the ride quality and standing height too.
This is clearly a "once every 6 years" routine job.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Friday, 13 December, 2019 - 19:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, good to here, and the ride will even be as good if not better fully loaded!

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2019 - 11:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

During my visit to flying spares September 2017 as part of Australian Rolls Royce forum UK tour I bought all the spheres for my 1997 Turbo R and Mr Shams suggested that those in attendance fitted them in the Hotel car park, I should have let them do the job, they are all mad including me.

Richard.

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 601
Posted on Friday, 20 December, 2019 - 07:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
Are Citroen spheres (75bar) (they call them names like hydormatic , anti sink etc) the same as our accumulators of 75bar?
i.e. interchangeable?
Cheers
Mike

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2237
Posted on Friday, 20 December, 2019 - 08:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/suspension-sphere/monroe/sp8002/

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, 20 December, 2019 - 19:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Are Citroen spheres (75bar) (they call them names like hydormatic , anti sink etc) the same as our accumulators of 75bar?
i.e. interchangeable?"

Michael,

Yes, the accumulators on Spirits are the same. I speak as someone who has owned more than a dozen oleo-pneumatic Citroens and rebuilt a Spirit hydraulic system.

And there are MUCH cheaper sources in Europe than Monroe for the accumulators AND Spirit suspension spheres.

Alan D.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Friday, 20 December, 2019 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Someone should put this in a CROSSOVER thread. What spheres crossover (Suspension Spheres
MONROE, and Citroen spheres etc.).

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 602
Posted on Friday, 20 December, 2019 - 19:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all
I'll order them and let you know,
Cheers
Mike

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2238
Posted on Friday, 20 December, 2019 - 23:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"And there are MUCH cheaper sources in Europe"

For a cheaper way, one could get your old spheres recharged providing the diaphragms are tested ok beforehand,

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1913
Posted on Saturday, 21 December, 2019 - 14:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"During my visit to flying spares September 2017 as part of Australian Rolls Royce forum UK tour I bought all the spheres for my 1997 Turbo R and Mr Shams suggested that those in attendance fitted them in the Hotel car park, I should have let them do the job, they are all mad including me.

Richard."

Dear Richard,
I remember that well.
I think we would have been able to do it in the car park and it would have been a smooth journey home for you.

I look forward to seeing you and the team again mate.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2987
Posted on Saturday, 21 December, 2019 - 14:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've definitely seen spheres with Citroen markings be sold by several very reputable RR parts suppliers in the USA.

It makes perfect sense since Citroen has spheres with charge levels that are equivalent to the brake spheres and gas springs (suspension spheres) as well as a number that cannot be used on cars from Crewe.

According to IETIS, 1 bar = 14.5 PSI. Here's what it says with regard to the charge levels for the hydraulic accumulators and the gas springs, "The accumulator spheres are charged to a pressure of between 60 bar and 64 bar (870 PSI and 928 PSI). The gas springs being charged to a pressure of between 10.35 bar and 18.63 bar (150 PSI and 270 PSI)."

There is clearly a fairly wide "within normal limits" for the initial charge pressures for each and, with age, these charge pressures decline.

Provided the thread on the accumulator/gas spring is correct and the charge level is within those ranges it matters not what car it was made for provided the fluid is compatible, and Citroens of the HSMO era used LHM.

Brian

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 603
Posted on Monday, 23 December, 2019 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
When choosing a substitute this is a useful index the 2 digits are the pressure in bar I think???
https://shate-m.by/static/Catalogs/IFHS_catalog_10_11_LR.pdf

hope that helps
Mike

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, 01 January, 2020 - 21:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Note that accumulator spheres have a big hole in the neck with no restriction to fluid flow but Citroen suspension spheres have dampers in the neck. They vary in "stiffness" both in the size of the central hole and the number and tension of the leaf springs around the central rivet. Drilling out the central hole by 0.1mm or so can soften the damping or inserting a steel wire down the little hole will stiffen the damping. If challenged, I will deny that I wrote this posting.

Alan D.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: