Loss of contact with reality?? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Loss of contact with reality?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon Norris
Prolific User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, 14 May, 2005 - 04:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having had exotic cars to restore and play with most of my life, one tends to lose contact with what spare parts SHOULD cost...today I took my neices newly acquired 1988 Ford Laser to a local mechanic I trust implicitly for a thorough going over as I had not the time myself. Parts needed: top rad hose, bypass hose, 4 new hose clamps, complete new waterpump, fan-belt, cam-timing belt plus new cam and crank seals, air-con compressor belt, oil filter, fuel filter, thermostat and gasket, new oil cap and seal, PCV valve and grommet, complete front brake pads, reversing light lens, gear selector bush, 4 new spark-plugs, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, new coolant, Shell helix oil TOTAL FOR PARTS = A$435.19!!!!!!

Now what would that list cost on one of our cars?
Perhaps we are all mad....

GN.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 767
Posted on Saturday, 14 May, 2005 - 06:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

UK prices in AUD

Top radiator hose $50
Bypass hose $50
Hose clamps $10
Waterpump $400 exchange
Fan belts $20 (although we need 5)
Oil filter $20
Spark plugs $12 (although we need 8 at $14 each for platinimum etc )
Thermostat and gasket $50
Fuel filter 20,000-series onwards $50
Oil cap seal $12
PCV valve: allow $10, as there is a different system never needing routine replacement
Brake pads $300 genuine
Seals $50
Air filter $25
Gear selector bush (allow) $20
Coolant $40 (guess)
Oil: twice as much of the stuff, allow $ 120 (more than double the quantity required than a Laser, but using Mobil 1 5W50)

That's $1,400-1,700 including GST (can't be bothered to add it up).

Mind you, the Laser may be a 1.6. Wannan argument ? Pro-rata on cubic capacity, Crewe is cheaper...

Now, look at genuine BMW spare parts prices. Spares for a 328i compare rather unfavourably to Crewe prices. And you will need a new cam belt every 60,000km (non-existent on our cars), and a new camshaft at 120,000km costing over $1,000 for parts before you start on lifters and followers.

Gordon, I register your message, but Ford, read Mazda, produced millions of 323/Laser cars yearly worldwide, and enjoyed huge quantity cost advantages on bespoke components. Compare that to a thousand or two cars yearly from Crewe. At least fluids and consumables (oil, filters, coolant, plugs and the like) are the same price for a Laser and Crewe, only depending on how much/many you need.

Now, insurance and road tax. Hmmn. There comes the lunacy.

I would like to see you give your Turbo R to your niece and see you zipping around in the Laser.

RT.

Gordon Norris
Prolific User

Post Number: 176
Posted on Saturday, 14 May, 2005 - 11:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm sure my niece would like me to give her the Turbo R too! And your prices above are a tad conservative Richard: eg/Introcar prices: Thermostat and gasket GBP40=A$100, (actually A$125 from Bentley Sydney!) I know what you mean though...it was just I'm so used to Bentley/Ferrari/Lotus/Alfa/Jag type prices that when I saw her bill I actually laughed and jokingly said to my wife he's left a zero off the end!

Yes, we have to pay the low volume penalty for our individualistic tastes.

As for Insurance, I've been with Shannons for decades and the Bentley costs me less than my daily driver SAAB convertible, BUT the Bentley does have a $1,200 excess...which in reality buys 3/4 of one rubber bumper end, so in just about any bingle I'd still be way ahead!

Anyway, must go and see if a Bentley V8 will fit in the Laser...maybe if I remove the passenger seat....

...of course I could also put a Laser engine at each wheel in the Bentley: 1.6 litres x 4=6.4 litres and 16 cylinders....egads, it might just work...

GN.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 768
Posted on Saturday, 14 May, 2005 - 23:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gordon,

The last two genuine SS/SZ thermostats I bought cost me £18 each at Introcar.

List price is £24, but I enjoy a decent discount.

http://script3.ftech.net/~1ntrocar/acatalog/INTROCAR_CHASSIS_NUMBERS_01001_59000_332.html

If you use Larry's List, the costs come down very quickly, especially for brake pads, of which your Turbo R has twice as many as a Laser.

Insurance, I lied a little. RREC-sourced insurance is laughably cheap, and what's more my other cars enjoy the same scheme. Third-party, that's injury and property here, costs $450 for each car (instead of around $550 for each car at a normal insurance company), and comprehensive is just $200 for my BMW and $750 for the Bentley. Comprehensive would be $1900 + $4,000 if I had no Bentley and therefore no RREC-scheme insurance, but with a full no-claim bonus. Why in Oz third party property insurance is not compulsory beats me. It's ridiculous that there are penniless drivers uninsured if they prang into you.

RT.

Peter Colwell
New User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, 15 May, 2005 - 09:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

<<uninsured>

Yes, absolutely, but the third party property policy offered by some companies does include a small amount to cover the above eventuality. The ridiculous speed limits in some places, and the points system means that there are vast numbers of unlicenced, - and therefore uninsured, - drivers around and the chances of being hit by one are quite high.

Peter

Gordon Norris
Prolific User

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, 15 May, 2005 - 10:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,
Not wanting to get into a debate over this, but this is not the first time I've noticed a dicrepancy between the online prices and the Introcar printed catalogue. The website does say subject to change/confirm prices etc. I have in front of me the 2005 printed Introcar catalogue which arrived only 2 weeks ago (which has the same disclaimers):
Thermostat:UE36600 1000-20000 GBP 56.00 (!!!)
PG58252PA 20000-57000 GBP 37.35 (this one has come down from last years price)
Gasket UE73635 GBP 3.60

So it seems you are getting a healthy discount indeed!! As noted above, Bentley Sydney price for Thermostat recently was around A$125, (and that's with 10% discount!)

GN.

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, 15 May, 2005 - 13:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Anybody find what other car-make thermostat fits?

Larry

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 772
Posted on Sunday, 15 May, 2005 - 21:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gordon,

My they have hiked the prices ! You raised the issue of the new part number for later cars some time ago. I have not bought the newer part number yet. The last two I bought, and I specified the 20,000-series chassis, were UE36600 at £36.64 for two in 2003, that's £18.32 each and the list price on the invoice was £22.90. The gaskets cost £2.51 each. I always hold a spare and hope they don't go off on the shelf. At the new price you quote, they have shifted from the bargain list to the rip-off category.

Larry: I believe that the thermostats are Crewe-specific, especially the ones with the fusible links. Also, the lower plate blocks the bypass hose when the thermostat is fully open. It's not worth risking an alternative.

And,

Peter,

My two brother have each lost two cars to major rear end traffic light shunts by uninsured students with faulty brakes. It kills the comprehensive no-claims bonus if you don't have the waiver supplement. Feel for the insurance company: it is outrageous that yours has to pay because someone else is too cheap to buy even TPP ("idiot") insurance as is compulsory in almost every OECD country apart from Australia.

RT.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, 15 May, 2005 - 22:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thermostats UE36600 - I've bought three in the last two months - last one $159-17 plus 10%GST from Bentley Sydney.

Gordon Norris
Prolific User

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, 16 May, 2005 - 00:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeez Bill, that's more than I paid 3months or so ago at Bent Syd !! And not long after that time they quoted me about 50% more for the new type thermostat, which on your price puts it well into the mid-$250 range...for a thermosat!!!What is happening to these prices...it's getting like the banks: make a record profit, then put staff off.; VW makes it's first clear profit since taking over Bentley, then puts spares prices up...

To Larry: I've searched and searched, online and in the shops, (I've carried one everywhere in the boot for quick comparisons) and it looks like the thermo is peculiar to RR/B. Have to admit defeat I'm afraid.

Speaking of rear-end collisions, in the Bentley I find people tend come up VERY close to try and read the silver boot badges, and once satisfied they then know for sure what it is (you can sometimes read their lips in the rear-view: "ahh, it's a Bentley"), they tend to back off and keep a respectful distance, perhaps out of fear of the cost of hitting it?!

Richard, considering the above aussie prices, I'll buy your spare thermostats off you for double what you paid, OK?

GN.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 774
Posted on Monday, 16 May, 2005 - 02:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I see that Flying Spares offer a pattern-type thermostat at £35, and Beare Essentials still quote £15.

Gordon, I only have one spare here now and one in Canberra. Not for sale, sorry.

You could always order one from Beare and se if they aree any good at that price.

RT.

http://www.beare-essentials.co.uk/SilverSpirit.htm#COOLING%20SYSTEM

ps the worst tailgaters are Germans, especially when they see a noble RHD English car with Swiss plates. I slow a bit to pass lorries as a speed differential of more than 60 gives me the creeps after a lady once joined the Autobahn and wents straight into the fast lane as I was about to pass her. Slowing annoys the Krauts no end, and they weave maybe 30cm behind, lights flashing of course. Then, when the road clears, it's Bye-bye time as you can safely blast off.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 776
Posted on Wednesday, 18 May, 2005 - 23:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just spoke to Struan at Introcar on thermostats.

He told me that the price has hiked to £85 + GST.

Outrageous: $18 in 1993, £85 now. That's a factor of 6. Better snap up a few where we can.

Introcar have ordered 1,000 pattern replacements which will be strategically priced (ie around half the original), arriving next week.

WHAT'S GOING ON AT VEEDUB ???

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 777
Posted on Thursday, 19 May, 2005 - 00:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK,

I have just ordered two spare thermostats from Beare at less than £27 each.

Leslie at Beare Essentials has confirmed that the Crewe price has gone ballistic. His thermostats are pattern types, but he assures me that they are identical, having the bypass valve and all.

Let's see.

RT.

Gordon Norris
Prolific User

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, 19 May, 2005 - 09:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Like I said Richard: They are behaving like banks do; they have made the Bentley name profitable, now the greed kicks in, and they reason their clients can afford it. At GBP18.00 it was still a silly price for a thermostat, as for GBP85.00..!!!

Also Richard, as you know, parts cost more in Australia than say GB due to extra shipping costs, etc. I did a little exercise yesterday on a variety of recently purchased parts, and to convert British prices to A$ multiply by a factor of 5...this seems to give a pretty accurate result of what you can expect to pay here in A$, including GST. eg/ if a part is GBP2.00, here it will be about A$10.00 incl GST.

Extrapolate that to the thermostat, and probably other prices, it looks like getting ridiculous...might buy that Laser after all....(JUST KIDDING!!!)

GN.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 778
Posted on Thursday, 19 May, 2005 - 09:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At least we could co-ordinate here.

Parts for 30 year old cars are duty exempt. Many Shadow parts are the same as for SZ, so use an early chassis number for tax assessment. Even GST at a ridiculously low 10% in Oz anyhow.

I have combined the thermostat order with a few other bits. We could collectively save with a bi-monthly combined order, limiting the delivered cost in AUD$ to nominal base cost in £ x 3 (ie £ x 3 covers exchange rate, shipping and extras, equalling AUD).

The package must be marked clearly "PARTS FOR 1972 MOTOR VEHICLE".

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 779
Posted on Thursday, 19 May, 2005 - 09:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ps: I think that VeeDub has sold almost its last thermostat to its until-now loyal Crewe customers. VeeWee / FowVay / VeeDoubleUwe has killed its own spares market, and aftermarket spares will take over from these and other spares very quickly.

Silly.

Micro economic and market forces will always prevail. Volksi has lost the plot. Don't treat us as Beetle guys who are ignorant Crewe wannabees please.

RT.

Adrian Jump U.K.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 213.249.162.132
Posted on Saturday, 28 May, 2005 - 00:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've had to do this response all over again as I lost it all when 'posting it', so it may not be as coherant.
Some time ago I wrote to the RREC letters section to ask if the Club could not do something for it's members in sourcing O.E. parts from sources other than Crewe.This was a result of the rather excessive hike in Crewe prices. The examples I quoted was the Shadow boot aperture seal that was about £37 but increased to a tad under £90 when I wanted one. The outboard main/dip headlamp (Cibie) for a Turbo R was about £104, I bought one, retail, for £16 odd from an independant source in the manufacturers box (Valeo lighting).
The letter did not get printed but Peter Baines did make reference to it in his Notes at the front of the Bulletin ( around Autumn last year). Peter said that if members felt Crewe prices to be non competitive they should write to Crewe ( I forget the guy at Crewe that dealt with it) and give details of the part in question and Crewe would look into it. Crewe felt their prices were competitive and constant feedback from dealers proved this to be the case ( I think I have the letter from Crewe still). Peter Baines went on to say that if the Club supported a scheme to source the identical part from other sources then Crewe would have a lot of unsold parts on their shelves. I ended my letter by saying that "perhaps I should take the cynical view that the Club wishes to suppress such information for fear of alienating traders that advertise within the club", a view that seems to be true.
The problem is that as Crewe jack up their prices then so do the independent traders, but as long as they are 'x' percent cheaper then they are more competitive still. I weas going to actually pay the stupid '£60 something' a couple of days ago for the weakener air filter for my Shadow only to be told they are now £107!! As for thermostats now being about £100 according to the previous postings, the one i fitted last April will be the last.
I was seriously looking into the possibility of starting a venture to source and supply faster moving parts at more realistic prices. The annual rally used to see the main dealers of the likes of JCT 600 giving goods deals on things like filters and spark plugs,last year their idea of a good offer was still significantly higher than the retail price from non Crewe sources.
I feel there is some mileage in creating some form of low profit making co-operative to supply these popular parts. I know things are never as simply as they seem but does anyone else have any views along these lines. It obviously requires some up front money. I looked into having boot aperture seals for the Shadow made, the unit cost came in at about £25 including the die cost. It required an initial outlay of about £350 to have a batch made. Anybody any workable ideas and willing to work as a group to start something?

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 465
Posted on Saturday, 28 May, 2005 - 11:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If there is enough interest; I will transfer this and subsequent posts to a new heading in its own right on Monday.

I think this proposal needs a lot of discussion having been on both sides of the fence as a supplier and user of industrial spare parts especially with pricing and stocking decisions for parts - I would like to hear other opinions before revealing my own to avoid the possibility of prejudicing/stifling the discussion.

Miguel A. Garcia
Experienced User
Username: magarcia

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, 09 June, 2005 - 23:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use to buy from Beare Essentials as prices are affordable and time for deliver reasonable (with ParcelForce permits.. :-P ).
Last order just arrived home 2 days ago and it was a new thermostat, oil filter, air filter, an original mascot (nice in my home office working table!)lots of fuses, an original oil sump brass for replacement and some minor spairs that i needed. Price was as I say over 20% less than Introcar ones (i have no discount with them, and alse they do not rennounce to charge me the VAT tax too!), but from last week i am not able to contatc Beare Essentials. My emails are not answered and their website is offline!!
Anyone has news about them? are them in bussines yet?

Thanks again.

Miguel

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 213.249.162.132
Posted on Saturday, 18 June, 2005 - 00:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've had bad dealings with Beare Essentials and so have some others I know. If you have a problem they will not get back to you. They are also very difficult to actually get hold of by phone, usually an answer machine. Perhaps just bad luck on my part.
Adrian U.K.

(Message approved by david_gore)