The Dark Side Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » The Dark Side « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Ford
Experienced User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, 26 October, 2016 - 10:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone know about the dark side of RR vehicle names.
We have The Ghost, Phantom, Wraith and Shadow (there may be more?) It seems to me like someone was thinking along the lines of something possibly sinister? lol - Just saying.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2016 - 06:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I never really thought about the names being dark.

My car is a black Shadow 1 and a Goth guy said if Dracula had a car it would be a black Silver Shadow.

Silver Cloud and Silver Dawn arent dark names.

The name Silver Ghost was originally for one car only. Which is probably the most expensive car in the world.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2016 - 10:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert, yes I had not thought about the names until I became a Bentley owner and then as my interest has grown I put the RR names together and wondered if others had seen the possible connection.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 611
Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2016 - 10:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
I seem to remember reading about the names that mean they are of supreme power but also a legend/myth or invisible.
Ghost, Phantom, Wraith, Dawn, Cloud, Shadow, Spirit & Seraph.
All of which fit this theme.

I'm sure someone will fill us in on this soon.

Bob Reynolds
Grand Master
Username: bobreynolds

Post Number: 420
Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2016 - 23:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought this was common knowledge, especially among RR fans.

One desirable feature of the RR marque was that the cars were relatively silent, so the names reflected objects with the ability to move about silently: Ghost, Phantom, Cloud, Spirit, Shadow, Wraith, etc. etc. The name 'Mist' was proposed for the Shadow.

The fact that most of these names have sinister connotations is purely coincidental, I am sure!

It seems that they are running out of ideas now though, and are re-using all the old names again.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Friday, 28 October, 2016 - 23:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They decided against Mist, which was seen as a logical progression from Cloud, as they didn't like the German translation:

mist

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 875
Posted on Saturday, 29 October, 2016 - 01:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

on the subject of choosing the wrong names for cars............. here are two crackers.

Mitsubishi make a car that they call Shogun in Europe and Pajero in other countries. Thats because in Spanish Pajero means bollox.

Renault make a car called the Symbol. When you write Symbol in Arabic it reads "sambool". In the UAE sambool means " a little boy's penis".

Lucky for us, Rolls-Royce didnt call their latest model "crap".

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2277
Posted on Saturday, 29 October, 2016 - 06:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar,

The Australian translation of the Spanish "Pajero" has always been "wanker" - we rarely, if ever, use the English "bollox/bollocks" [testicles] preferring "balls" to colloquially refer to testicles.

"Wanker" [masturbator] is a more insulting term.

Alan Ford
Experienced User

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, 29 October, 2016 - 08:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the explanation Bob. I am new to this forum and to owning a Bentley so that is perhaps why I had not heard how the cars were named. Anyway it was just some light banter and now we all know :-)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 615
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 05:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan
Never be backwards about coming forward with any questions at all.
As I say when I am conducting traning in my job.
"There is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb answers"
And another.
"The question you ask, may be the question 10 others want to ask but are embarrassed to do so"

The guys are usually pretty comfortable after this.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 616
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 05:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh
I forgot to say.
Light banter is good.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: