Fond names for our cars Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Fond names for our cars « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick Adlam
Experienced User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, 18 June, 2016 - 19:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Evening Gents

Our cars are rather special things in our lives and many of us give them names in affection.

I have christened my Silver Shadow the "Great Babe" after Isambard K Brunel's affectionate name for his Victorian masterpiece, the SS Great Eastern. As an engineer, Henry Royce must have been in awe of Brunel's vast and far-reaching accomplishments. Brunel's attention to minute detail, longevity and quality is very Rolls-Royce. The term "Brunelian" is testament to this fact.

So, what name have you christened your pride and joy?, and your inspiration behind it?.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 261
Posted on Saturday, 18 June, 2016 - 20:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good stuff Nick.
Anyone who has a middle name of Kingdom deserves a great place in history, weather it be steam ships of which I think he will be best remembered, or tunnels & bridges, of which were/are true masterpieces.
Interesting stuff Nick, thanks for reminding me of him and his aceivments.
As for Sir Henry Royce, he would sure be smiling when anything of true beauty, reliability and magnificence is referred to as the "Rolls Royce" of its given field. Just as you mentioned with Mr Brunel.
As with the "Great Babe" nearly 100% of car names are female related.
My Silver Shadow SRH12255 is effectionatley known in our family as Robert.
I'm pretty confident that within the RROC I have not heard of another masculine name for a car.
In regards to inspiration, Robert just popped while my wife & I were looking at Robert a few weeks before we purchased him.
The number plate RR0072 just worked out as Robert Ryan.

Out of interest
Our 25 Chevrolet Superior K is called Stan
Just wish I could photo shop my bad head out of Roberts grill!

Jeff Young
Prolific User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 259
Posted on Saturday, 18 June, 2016 - 21:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My daughters name my cars, and Bentleys tend to get butler/valet names: the T2 was Jeeves, while the Arnage is Jarvis.

(The Vanquish, due to its questionable reliability, is known as Calamity Jane.)

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 262
Posted on Saturday, 18 June, 2016 - 21:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's awesome Jeff
Great names.
Is Jane going ok now?

Jeff Young
Prolific User

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, 19 June, 2016 - 00:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

> Is Jane going ok now?

Mostly. Her coolant level sensor is starting to get a bit twitchy (coming on every month or so even though the header tank is full), but that's small potatoes compared to some of her earlier antics. ;)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, 19 June, 2016 - 06:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick...
I must have missed the directive about feminine names and introduce you to "Darth Lucifer" the Triple Black Prince. (1986 Silver Spur)

Triple Black 86 Spur

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 263
Posted on Sunday, 19 June, 2016 - 09:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff
That's good news, cantankerous females can make for a bad day.
Did you post a pick of her in the other post Nick started "photos of our cars"?
Christian,
I guess you did miss that memo lol.
Darth Lucifer doesn't look as evil as his name suggests.
He looks quite magnificent.

Jeff Young
Prolific User

Post Number: 261
Posted on Sunday, 19 June, 2016 - 20:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

> Did you post a pick of her in the other post Nick started "photos of our cars"?

Yep, she's the silver Vanquish right next to my T2.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, 20 June, 2016 - 07:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ahhhhhhhh
Nice Jeff

Nick Adlam
Experienced User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, 20 June, 2016 - 17:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Evening Gentlemen

Christian, very nice Spur- the black creates an edgy, imposing "VIP" stance, enhanced by the LWB rear doors. People must make way for you in traffic?- I would!. Lucifer very appropriate- hopefully he's not a "devil" to own and maintain?.

Pat, I've heard and read the whole gamut of names given to RR's- from the sublime to the ridiculous.
Anyone in your family named Robert?. I admit to being a Robert Shaw fan, just quietly- brilliant actor.
You're spot on re cantankerous females- thankfully my Shadow has been "faithful" so far!.
Nice photo!. I need to remind myself to take some period-look B&W pics of mine. Darker colours like yours emphasise the great lines of these machines.

C'mon everyone, don't be shy!.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 523
Posted on Monday, 20 June, 2016 - 18:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all my Shadow is deemed to be a he his Reg No starts JOK I sometimes call him JOCK, If he behaves badly I call him JOKE, I just call my Turbo R a big Brute.

Richard.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 697
Posted on Monday, 20 June, 2016 - 19:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Giving cars a name must be a cultural thing that i just don't get. We just call them "the blue Bentley" or "the yellow Rolls".
As an Engineer I struggle to accept that cars are anything other than a collection of components that make up something good as an assembly.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 524
Posted on Monday, 20 June, 2016 - 19:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar why is it that we talk to them (our cars)when we are working on them we curse them when they go wrong we praise them when we are pleased so why not give them a name (I think I here one knocking at the door)

Richard.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 698
Posted on Monday, 20 June, 2016 - 20:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Richard,
You are right mate. I have forgotten all the names I have called my cars in the past. Many of them have had the same names though. Female dog is one of the names, person with dubious lineage is another....... and then there is the favourite "procreator". I have used these names many many times when I have worked on them.
of course there are many more names and some very creative ones that combine some of the previously mentioned names in combination............. but these colourful explicits are best left to the confines of my air conditioned workshop.......

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Monday, 20 June, 2016 - 20:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

The initials JOK are very meaningful for those of us who were old enough to appreciate the early days of Australian Rock 'n' Roll in the late 1950's and early 1960's.

I am referring to our own "Wild One" Johnny O'Keefe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_O%27Keefe

Two of his number 1 hits may be heard on the following links; the first is a ballad and the second a classic rock song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPXvnPvi-WE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et5G-SXC8Rc

I would be very happy to name a classic car from the 1960's "Jay O Kay".

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 525
Posted on Monday, 20 June, 2016 - 22:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Omar you are such a snob air conditioned garage and here is me having to sit on a lemonade crate or roll about on a concrete floor this is going to cost you at our Rally next year several gin and tonics at least LOL.

David I liked the backing dancers in the video of Move Baby Move and Jay O Kay sounds better than JOKE.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 699
Posted on Monday, 20 June, 2016 - 22:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Richard....this snob will be buying the first round when we meet up in 2017....... Yours will be a double.....

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 533
Posted on Tuesday, 21 June, 2016 - 02:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Financial Black Hole together with a triads of naughty and foul four lettered obscenities until I get to drive JRH 23682. No doubt she will fleece me more than a lifetime of female company!!!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Tuesday, 21 June, 2016 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

I forgot to mention Johnny O'Keefe's brother had been a past member of the RROC[Australia] NSW Branch and he was on the same table as my US mate and I at the special function the Branch held when York Motors ceased being the NSW R-R/B distributor.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, 21 June, 2016 - 08:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think you are spot on Nick.
Some of the picks of SRH12255 (Robert) that I have converted to sepia, or B&W are just quite stunning.
It sure does enhance some different lines compared to colour.
I have also taken many of my 25 Chev (Stan) and it can almost look like a different car.
Ive had a photography business for many years now and have photographed thousands of (mainly) trucks, cars and machinery.
The rule is NEVER take the original image in B&W or use one of the filters in the camera, take the image in the best possible conditions in full colour at the highest resolution the camera can do, as then you can make anything from it from then on.
It can be a challenge, same car, but boy can it be tough getting a good angle one day, but just cant get what you want the next.

Patrick Ryan
Prolific User

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, 21 June, 2016 - 08:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was laughing so hard while reading Omar's post, as man have I called my cars some names.
Im amazed they even started after having to cop the verbal abuse LOL
Yep,
Don't forget, Im the designated driver

John Beech
New User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, 05 November, 2016 - 12:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SRX6816 is painted in a rich chocolate named Astrakhan and is named Tootsie, which is a play on Tootsie Roll (a chewy chocolate American candy).
Toosie's right flank

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 656
Posted on Saturday, 05 November, 2016 - 23:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John tootsie looks good enough to eat.

Richard.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Sunday, 06 November, 2016 - 03:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mine is called Dracula.

My Jeep is called KACK because the reg no is K 881 ACK.
MY Merc van was called POO because the reg no was F *** POO

Which is highly amusing to someone with Crohns Disease

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 636
Posted on Sunday, 06 November, 2016 - 16:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,
A fantastic name for a fantastic looking Shadow.
You should be proud of that early car. Tootsie is perfect.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 637
Posted on Sunday, 06 November, 2016 - 16:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Love the names Robert.
Yes
Poo is a bit close for comfort in your condition

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 362
Posted on Sunday, 06 November, 2016 - 21:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Spirit was registered TOS ***X . I changed the reg after getting fed up with an additional A being penned in on the plate regularly by friends ! When I sold it, I put my plate on the Mulsanne, and sold the Spirit with TOS back on it.
Mark

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 639
Posted on Sunday, 06 November, 2016 - 22:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh dear Mark.
What are friends for mate.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: