C* rap respray. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » C* rap respray. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Sunday, 10 July, 2016 - 05:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My son in law Stephen.

He took his red scooby WRX in for a respray to an award winning respray shop. £2000.

Well the job is awfull.

No oven.

They used heat lamps. Damp has caused micro blistering and milky appearance on tail gate. One wheel arch hasn't been painted and dust under the paint. The spoiler is meant to be gloss black not Matt. The rear shinny Inox rear exhaust box is red with over spray.
This car now needs a bare metal respray. The shop owner wants to redo the car. He gets one more chance at no extra cost. Wisely he's getting the paint rep in to have a look.

At present with no oven I don't think this guy is going to be able to do this car to the high standard required.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 322
Posted on Sunday, 10 July, 2016 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob, at £2k to spray a car, I would not expect the finish to be good. Going rate for a good Shadow respray here is £20k plus ! Even a ready bare metaled open top sports car is £5k + just to paint, not including any stripping or fitting up.
Mark

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2016 - 04:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

He's been quoted 2.2k by another shop. For a bare metal respray. This shop said the red colour is easy to spray and his elves will strip to bare metal in a day. They said the present paint is rubbish.

I can well see a Shadow costing 20k for a bare metal to RR standards.
However if the body underneath is perfect with no filler then things get cheaper. Once down to bare metal it's a simple case of primers and paint. Taking paint off with modern sanders is quite fast. The shop uses all PPG and oven. They did a few police cars and they were good. 5 year guarantee.

I personally don't like scoobies. The shape is so plain family hatch back. This car is fast (240 BHP) but he can't use the performance and drives it like a normal hot hatch such as a Golf GTi.

Unfortunately I personally have little confidence in spray shops. This is one of the reasons I chose black for my car, it's easy DIY. Then I can blame my self if it isn't right. And I have endless time to put it right at very little extra cost. This is what goes wrong in paint shops a small error and no time to redo.
What's good about black is that it shows up imperfections immediately.
Very rarely do I see a faultless refinishing of a car. Even on new cars I will find something.

Panther Lima. This car was redone in a light metallic blue. A really good job. Except that using a magnifing glass one could detect a speck of metallic that was darker blue than the rest in a door shut. The owner and judges couldn't see it. But we knew it was there.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2016 - 05:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob, I would be very wary at £2.5 for bare metaling + respray (presumably including removal and refitting of all glass, trim etc which is imperative for a bare metal job ). The £5k fig I quoted is for a ready bare metalled open top car with new panelwork and no screen or fittings whatsoever.
My son is in the process of purchasing a mechanically excellent but very poor body Shadow to renovate ( he will do all of the work himself, he is a professional pre war Vintage car restorer ). Watch this space !
Mark

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2016 - 05:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

Your son's proposed restoration would make a superb thread on this forum. If you could put up occasional pics and commentary it would be the greatest of interest.

Regards

Geoff

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2016 - 06:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,
Assuming the purchase goes ahead, he will join the forum and blog the project.
Mark

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2016 - 07:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark, I hope the purchase does go ahead. I can't wait to see how he goes about it. He will help us all I'm sure.
Regards, Nigel.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2116
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2016 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Mark,

Your son's proposed restoration would make a superb thread on this forum. If you could put up occasional pics and commentary it would be the greatest of interest.

Regards
Geoff"

Most definitely agree - hope your son will have the time and motivation to do this.

Bob - tried and true saying from experience "the quality of the job is remembered long after the price is forgotten".

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 325
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2016 - 08:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, would hate him to get out of practice. He is just finishing new complete sill assembleys, complete floor, torsionbar crossmember and part wheel arches on his first car he had age 17, Morris Minor.
Mark

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Tuesday, 12 July, 2016 - 06:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I too look forward to a body renovation with photos.

The respray is nothing to do with me, I am merely a spectator.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2016 - 02:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An update on my son's Shadow purchase. He now has the car at home, and is assessing the project ! A huge amount to do, but a couple of evenings freeing off the distributer advance and cleaning and fettling the carbs has produced a very sweet running car with excellent gear changes.He drove it the 100 miles home but the MOT expires next week hence the urgency to get the running right , and assess the mechanical condition . Further updates and pictures to come.
Mark

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2016 - 03:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark

Thanks for keeping up this thread. I look forward to the updates and pics. Although maybe you could start a new thread with a nicer title - lol.

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2016 - 04:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree a new thread would be best due to rap respray.

Good luck with the mot.
The only failure I got was a rusty brake pipe which popped on the test and dribbled RR 363. All the other times the car has passed.

Remember that the mot is the minimum standard and therefore does not mean the car is sound. There's no such thing as passing a mot with flying colours because the test is on the basis that the operator of a vehicle has the right in law to expect the maximum safe use of the vehicles parts. This means that excess wear is used. This means that a ball joint can be worn a bit and still pass because it's met the minimum standard.
Another example is if a horn is held on by 5 bolts and 2 are missing the car passes because over 50% of the fixings is present. If 3 bolts are missing then the car fails due to insecure horn assembly. Less than 50%.
King pins. A certain amount of rim rock is allowed on King pins and in some designs the amount allowed is so much that if the bushes were removed the vehicle would still pass the mot.

Update on respray. They have fallen out and legal letters have been issued. I should have guessed that was going to happen.

The owner is insisting on a bare metal respray. The paint shop wants to mechanical remove the top coat leaving the factory primers intact because the car has a high quality primer which is sound. I tend to agree with the paint shop.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 381
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2016 - 07:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the update Mark.
I'm looking forward to further updates and images as well.

james aldridge
Yet to post message
Username: jlaldridge

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 19 September, 2016 - 05:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, I am James, as my dad has mentioned I have just bought a somewhat ropy silver shadow 1 that i will return to its former glory. Although surprisingly sweet running and has had a fortune spent on the engine and hydraulics in the last 18 months, it is somewhat cosmetically challenged. I have upload a few photos of exactly how much trouble I have got myself into, the bottom half of the body appears to be constructed of Newspaper, Glass fibre, Chicken wire, a wellington boot and other things I have yet to identify!!! In the words of Oliver Hardy, Thanks Dad. This is another fine mess you have gotten me into !!!

My first task is to get the car into a condition where it will pass an MOT and looks fairly presentable. This will involve replacing 2 wheel arches, front and rear valence, sills ,rear wing lowers, front wing lowers, repairs to the boot floor and under the rear seat (n/s rear spring safety strap is hanging in fresh air ) replacement of rear spring cups and do my best to improve the grotty White paint.

After I have an MOT I plan to use her and have a rolling restoration and over the next 2-3 years can start fiddling around with the extensive list of electrical faults. and lack of self levelling suspension ( blanked off many years ago) and get the interior back to a presentable condition (poorly re-connollyised and lacquer peel on all the woodwork) Also eventually want to bare metal her and respray back to the original Sand over Sable. I am sure I will be asking for plenty of advice on this forum from people far more experienced than myself, wish me luck!!!!

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 619
Posted on Monday, 19 September, 2016 - 05:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James I do wish you luck!!! it looks like a mammoth task but if you have the time and patience and the help that this forum will give you it will be well worth while.

Richard.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 376
Posted on Monday, 19 September, 2016 - 06:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

First...is it possible to align the photos vertically rather than horizontally? Call me particular, but it saves a bunch of time scrolling back and forth trying to read the text. Thanks!

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Monday, 19 September, 2016 - 06:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome to the forum James.

I hope you will put up more photos of your car as the restoration takes place. A very interesting project.

It appears you also have a Morris Minor tucked away there. They are great cars also.

Geoff

David Gore

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Monday, 19 September, 2016 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,

I have seen a lot of neglected cars in my time and your car would certainly be in the top 10 of the worst possibly-restorable category. However, there is a lot of advice available on and through this forum to help you along the way and to encourage you through the times when you feel like giving up.....

Christian,

Have fixed the image alignment - it is important posts be checked using the preview function before posting [of course, do not forget to use the "Post" button after previewing otherwise the post can be lost completely and have to be re-written [been there, done that]. My Moderator privileges allow me to edit posts at any time to fix problems such as this one.

To align images vertically, it is important to hit the ENTER key twice after each IMAGE COMMAND to put a space between each command; no space and the images will be aligned across the page.

On the preview screen, the image commands should be in the following format:

IMAGE COMMAND

IMAGE COMMAND

IMAGE COMMAND

IMAGE COMMAND

and not as:

IMAGE COMMAND,IMAGE COMMAND,IMAGE COMMAND

Hope this helps.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, 19 September, 2016 - 10:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,

Luck.

Also, what's that mascot?

David Gore

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Monday, 19 September, 2016 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

Looks like a Mack truck bulldog mascot or a Merino ram [male sheep for those without an agricultural background].

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 378
Posted on Monday, 19 September, 2016 - 10:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David...Thanks for the photo adjustment

Whip me, shoot me, but it is also possible to consider the car a parts salvage project. Lots of times it is possible to sell the parts for more than the car is worth and then put that towards something more potentially restorable.
Many years ago I bought a 1933 PII with a totally trashed body and just the cylinder head brought more than I paid for it. I made about 10X my investment on that one. Of course what you are left with is what appears to "others" to be a trash heap of "valuable to someone" parts in your storage shed that my heirs will someday have to decide what to do about.
Just saying.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 809
Posted on Monday, 19 September, 2016 - 14:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear James,
Welcome to the team.
Christian may have a valid point. If it was me, I would sell parts of the car on ebay and use the proceeds to buy a better example. There are many cars in far far better condition but probably only 20% or so more expensive that the one you currently have.
Unless of course there is some sentimental value or the car has had an interesting history.
I dont want to throw water on your fire - but man have you got a lot of work ahead of you or what.......

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 620
Posted on Monday, 19 September, 2016 - 15:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I read somewhere in this forum that James is a car restorer and I am sure he is a competent skilled person able to make his own decisions as to the future of this early shadow, These older cars are getting thin on the ground and young enthusiasts of this mark is non existent, I think we are going to be amazed by this project.

Richard.

james aldridge
New User
Username: jlaldridge

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 19 September, 2016 - 21:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

thank you for all the supportive messages and advice, its my week off so will be tackling replacing the rear valence and rear wing lowers this week . pictures to follow.apologies for the photos, will do a better job of aligning them next time. the mascot is a good question ,it is some sort of dog , but looks as if it would be better on someones mantle piece than on the front of a Rolls Royce.will eventually be changed for the correct item.
If it wasn't for several factors then Christian and Omar would probably correct. firstly I restore Pre War Aston Martins for a living so am used to tackling some pretty far gone projects And I love to challenge myself .The mechanics are in very good order and has had vast sums spent on the engine and brakes in recent years. ,infact i have driven a few shadows and spirits and would even go as far as to say it drives quite nicely. the actual structure and chassis/subframes/floor pans are very solid.
I am aware that a car like this will never be concourse or show ,what I finally want is a presentable car that is reliable, everything works and that i can use as a daily drive If I so wish.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 810
Posted on Tuesday, 20 September, 2016 - 02:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good luck to you James. You will get all the support that you need from this team here.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Tuesday, 20 September, 2016 - 03:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James

I note the bumpers will need replacing. It may be the case you can repair them, given your skills with pre-war Astons. It's certainly not going to be anything you will need to be concerned about for a while, but when the time comes, here's an interesting link:

http://www.groupharrington.com/en/part/76/rolls-royce-silver-shadow-1-saloon-corniche-mpw-coupes-convertibles-bumpers.html

Geoff

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, 20 September, 2016 - 03:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This Shadow is well known in the UK RREC and was a "barn find" from an auction of farm/ butchers premises, re commissioned some years ago and seems to attract a lot of interest among club members. Given that a fairly average Shadow 1 sells for £10k plus in the UK, often loaded with bodyfiller (UK Salt corrosion is a problem ) and lacking in maintenance, my guess is that James will have £8k plus headroom for parts. At least he will then know what is under the paint, and that corroded panels have not simply had repair panels welded over them.( this has been done to a rear arch on my Mulsanne and created me a problem to repair again where the edge has started to rust). It will be an interesting project.
Mark

David Gore

Post Number: 2210
Posted on Tuesday, 20 September, 2016 - 06:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is the Mack Truck Bulldog mascot to help identify the Shadow mascot:

Mascot

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 502
Posted on Tuesday, 20 September, 2016 - 08:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome James.
You certainly have a big job ahead. As the other members have mentioned, it will be great for us all to get in on the ground floor with you on this project.
Good luck & enjoy.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Tuesday, 20 September, 2016 - 08:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A tip when repairing rust holes is cut the holes with straight lines and square corners. Thus making the the repair patches easy to make.

one must be ruthless with tin worm.

I have driven worse.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 505
Posted on Tuesday, 20 September, 2016 - 13:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Speaking of mascots.
My son photographed this in the Kenworth workshop where he works.

David Gore

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Tuesday, 20 September, 2016 - 19:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

The "Flying Lady" has become a "Fallen Lady" .

One is known by the company one keeps.........

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: