Princess Margaret's 1980 Silver Wrait... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Princess Margaret's 1980 Silver Wraith II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 632
Posted on Thursday, 25 February, 2016 - 12:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

is featured in a nice article in February's Classic And Sports Car magazine. Interesting that it had a number of bespoke features, including West of England cloth front and rear; leather rather than polished wood door cappings, and oiled rosewood for the instrument fascia.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Friday, 26 February, 2016 - 09:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought this car was in OZ???

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Friday, 26 February, 2016 - 09:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

She had several. One of them may have ended up in Australia. Her 1975 Wraith was sold to Burt Reynolds and exported to Florida.

Geoff

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Friday, 26 February, 2016 - 09:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interestingly, her 67 Wraith had an Omar conversion - the Shadow rear window was fitted.

http://www.rrsilvershadow.com/EGall/ERRLWB1967LRH2542.htm

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Friday, 26 February, 2016 - 10:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How fantastic it must be to have a free Rolls Royce delivered every couple of years. She certainly hit the jackpot on the birth lottery.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 633
Posted on Friday, 26 February, 2016 - 11:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Article's author made the point that, according to the records he has, the car was paid for out of Princess Margaret's personal funds, the government did not pay for it.
The price of a Shadow was not significant to her, I imagine, although she did inherit very well.
I wonder if her life was made better or worse by the accident of her birth? Financially=better; otherwise=? I can't judge her because I will never walk in her shoes.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 634
Posted on Friday, 26 February, 2016 - 11:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It was also mentioned that this car was an almost immediate replacement for one which had "problems": LRH 36157 she owned for 9 months in 1979 "was allegedly crab-tracked and had suffered other persistent snags that had resulted in it being returned to the Factory at the start of 1980."
"Crab-tracked"? meaning perhaps that she roll sideways? Egad, Montressor, a lemon from the Factory? And for the Queen's sister??
Wonder if this unfortunate Car still exists...

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Friday, 26 February, 2016 - 13:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like even Rolls Royce made "Friday afternoon" cars.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 869
Posted on Saturday, 27 February, 2016 - 06:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Crab tracked means that the rear suspension and front suspension isn't perfectly aligned with each other causing the back end of the car when driving in a straight line is over slightly to one side. yaw.

Princess Madge was a reluctant princess. She didn't have any choice. However the money came in handy. If Edward VII hadn't abdicated then Madge would have not been so famous but would still have had lots of money.
The press chased her around a lot. Being the Queens sister must difficult, one misplaced word and it's front page news.

Quite a few RR customers would only keep the car for about 3 years and then get another new one. I remember in the early 80s a sudden drop in Shadow prices caused by the introduction of the Spirit. The Spirit caused a lot of late model Shadows owners to sell the Shadow and buy a new Spirit.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 911
Posted on Saturday, 12 March, 2016 - 23:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I once went to look at an original Mini for a friend. At first glance it appeared to be tidy, so I took it for a spin. And spin was almost the correct word. At the first right hand bend it felt like it was trying to go sideways. I was back at the vendor's home within 3 minutes where I closely perused the dirty bits under the rear.

It soon became apparent that at some time the car had been involved in a rear end shunt that had been well repaired - but only cosmetically. The rear subframe was visibly out of alignment compared the front end. I advised my friend to run - not walk - quickly away!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: