Jaguar 42OG/Silver Shadow Differences Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Jaguar 42OG/Silver Shadow Differences « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, 22 February, 2016 - 15:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Presently I am still removing the brightwork from the Jaguar 420G to give it a complete colour change from horrid Brown to Black.

It is quite marvellous to observe the high standard of the chrome work and how many pieces have to come off the driver's side rear door to remove the glass and the stainless steel window frame which in itself is quite a work of art.

Its a task that only somebody as insane as myself should attempt as the procedure is certain to cause insanity.

I think it was when I discovered that Jaguar had welded the outer door skin to the inner door skin in such a way that it is impossible to remove the stainless steel window frame from the door that anger slipped into the equation. This will make it interesting to paint.

I imagine the very few full restorations done on Jaguar 420G with total repaints sent quite a few spraypainter/panel beaters into mad crazy rages as most of them are right on the edge anyway having sniffed thinners for years.

I wonder if I am going to feel the same murderous intentions if I ever take on a Silver Shadow repaint.

I am wondering just how it came to be that this car was manufactured in such a way that you can't remove the stainless window frame without cutting into the door sheet metal.

Perhaps they designed it and then when they went to put their design into manufacture they came upon this problem that the window frame would have to be entrapped in the door during manufacture.

I just can't imagine it was engineered purposely that way and I can envisage a huge argument in Coventry's assembly line when the first cars were being put together that some poor devil got the job of fitting the stainless steel door trims into the door after the inner door panel was welded onto the outer door panel and found it simply would not fit.

It would have made for an ugly moment until some one came up with the bright idea to insert the stainless window frame into the door before the two halves were welded together.

No doubt they had a huge giggle thinking about some mechanic attempting to replace the stainless steel window frame. Just getting the window out too is a special moment I would prefer to forget.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 526
Posted on Tuesday, 23 February, 2016 - 02:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
Its Interesting that you are restoring a MK X and I am restoring a MK IX at the same time. Yes I know yours is a 420G not a MK X, but they are essentially the same looking car.
I hope my MK IX will be worth all the trouble after this massive exercise - both in terms of time and money. These cars are as expensive to restore as a Rolls-Royce.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, 23 February, 2016 - 09:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, old chap, did you find a grill for your Mark IX Jaguar yet?

I do like all the Jaguars - the Mark 7 to Mark 9 were particularly grand in appearance.

I think the merit in restoring something like a Mark 9 and or 420G or Mark X comes from then being able to have a motor vehicle which really has no equal in terms of class, appearance, luxury etc. For me time and money are not things I allow to interfere with a restoration project.

It is often said that its is much more wise to purchase a restored car than to restore a car yourself. I don't adhere to this view at all. Firstly, if you restore your own car, then you know exactly what is under that paint, what is inside that engine and what nooks and crannies have been overlooked. Even a car which appears to show the restorer had "attention to detail" is often hiding something.

I have no intention of ever selling any of my cars so money really is not an issue. As for time it is the restoring of cars that I enjoy more than the finished product although often I think why did I bother.

When you restore your own car there are no surprises if you do it all yourself - which I do other than say instrument restoration or chromework replating.

The word "restored" obviously means many things to many people and what appears restored to one person appears to be an outrageous pack of lies to another.

I am most greatly entertained by sellers of vehicles that claim "easy restoration". These people are fools looking for fools. For me "easy restoration" falls into the category of "kind banker, honest politician, trustworthy insurance company and tooth fairy"

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 527
Posted on Wednesday, 24 February, 2016 - 04:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
Yes I did buy one in the end. All thanks to this forum and specifically Brian Vogel. this chap has bailed me out of the poo so many times now.....

I have just taken it out of the box that it was delivered in and my goodness - it weighs a ton. It is as heavy as a Rolls-Royce grill (maybe more).

When I have progressed in my resto I will post a picture.

Take care
Omar

Michael Carr
New User
Username: carsie

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 07 November, 2016 - 23:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just in case you haven't seen this car Vladamir - restored and re-engineered by Classic Cars in Bridgnorth UK.

[img]https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8102/8655266663_da3918dd03_c.jpg[/img]

[img]https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8112/8655265855_fe43afc514_c.jpg[/img]

They are currently rebuilding a MK10 3.8 which also appears to be in black.

[img]https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5703/30749856951_060246628b.jpg[/img]

Have you seen the black MK10 Stateside that has been built with an XJR Supercharged engine? - American style for sure but fun none the less; I have a pic somewhere

Then of course there are the three 420G's that have been built with SOHC V12's- I've pics of those as well :-)

Finally ..(you'll get used to me lol!) Have you seen the film Begin Again?

[img]https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5605/30837696565_2097f6b2b2_c.jpg[/img]

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: