Car Detailing & Rubber Revival Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Car Detailing & Rubber Revival « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, 23 August, 2016 - 08:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
My new best friend when it comes to detailing my car is this.
Kiwi instant shoe shine liquid in black.
Just tip it up side down, and apply.

All rubbers on my car now look and feel as new.
The watery consistency of the liquid also allows it to settle in between the rubber and the metal.
(in my case the boot rubber was my first victim)
Where the boot rubber is glued to the surface, this join always looks dirty and can also have polish residue in it.
I have used black marker pen to try and fill this gap with minimum success.
Simply apply liberally, and it looks way to much, but as it dries, it simply fills all nooks and crannies with a beautiful matt black finish.
If you get it on the paint anywhere, just wipe off while wet, or Mr Sheen will instantly remove it if it dries.
For want of a better term, it is just like a huge fat marker pen with a lovely flowing head.

I even did all the trim edges of the boot carpet on the floor and all the edging on the boot lid carpet.
It is as quick as wiping it over in one swipe.
Instant new looking rubbers.

I found this on Saturday morning while going through the laundry cupboard looking for a way to revive the rubbers.

I have checked it this morning and all rubbers are still gleaming, and to be sure, I have checked the boot rubber and its adherence to the body, just in case my liberal application may have affected this. All good so far.
I just wish I had taken before & after images for you guys.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Tuesday, 23 August, 2016 - 09:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

My partner has a VW Eos hardtop convertible that requires bi-annual seal conditioning to keep the seals soft and supple to prevent water leaks as well as minimising the inevitable creaks and groans from the roof components.

The lubricant is a PTFE liquid marketed by Dupont as Krytox GPL105 and resold by VW, BMW, Mitsubishi and other manufacturers of convertible cars plus it is now becoming more popular with classic car collectors for its preservative properties. Just google "Krytox GPL105 for cars"

Not cheap - the last time I purchased some from a Dupont reseller in Brookvale, it was just under $100 for 50gm which is sufficient for 5 or 6 complete seal treatments. A little goes a long way and you apply it sparingly with a finger tip and distribute it over the seals.

A hard grey aged seal quickly softens after the liquid is applied and the seal becomes soft supple and matt black in colour. See the following thread in this forum for feedback on this product:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/13088.html?1356237212

1A

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 440
Posted on Tuesday, 23 August, 2016 - 09:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's great advice David, and appears to be a great product.

This would be fantastic for my drivers door rubber, which is a bit hard, and of course the Kiwi liquid wont restore that as suck, just make it look good.

David Gore

Post Number: 2166
Posted on Tuesday, 23 August, 2016 - 10:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

This is the source I last used to buy my Krytox about 5 years ago - I bought 3 x 50gm bottles and still have 1 bottle yet to be opened so it is very economical to use. The main problem for new users is applying it too heavily and then having it run off onto the window glass/body work and then having to remove it.

http://www.harrisonmanufacturing.com.au/

If you have contacts in the USA, the following supplier may be worth contacting:

http://www.miller-stephenson.com/miller/krytox.html

Product date sheets are below:

application/force-downloadPDF1
Krytox_Automotive_Product_Guide_K-17456-4.pdf (69.6 k)

Krytox Lubes for Auto NON Bearing Appl.pdf,application/force-downloadPDF2
K-20548 (2167.2 k)

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 441
Posted on Tuesday, 23 August, 2016 - 11:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David,

Like many other things on this forum I have not heard of this product.

I would love my good condition, but very hard drivers door rubber see a new lease on life that's for sure.

David Gore

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Tuesday, 23 August, 2016 - 12:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Take it from me - you will be amazed with the improvement of the suppleness and appearance of your door seals after applying the Krytox.

It works better on hot days as the heat enhances the rate of penetration into the seal however it still works on cold days when it is best left for 24 hours for full penetration before assessing the improvement.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 443
Posted on Tuesday, 23 August, 2016 - 14:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mate,
Its on the shopping list!

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Thursday, 01 September, 2016 - 04:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

glycerin

David Gore

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Thursday, 01 September, 2016 - 07:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob, Krytox GPL105 is much better than Glycerine - seals are more supple, more resistant to UV degradation [especially relevant in our part of the world] and is longer-lasting before requiring renewal.

This product is the choice of most car owners who own convertibles and classic cars due to its effectiveness and longevity despite its higher cost compared to the alternatives.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 481
Posted on Sunday, 04 September, 2016 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents further images to car detailing.
Just a couple of before and afters of my back window.
The extreme close up made the before look a whole lot worse than it actually looked
Did all external corner nooks yesterday, all internal today.
Not looking forward inside the back window and parcel shelf though.

David Gore

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Sunday, 04 September, 2016 - 15:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pat,

Great start and I would give the seals a second coat ASAP on a warm day and leave the car in the sun so the seals can get hot and absorb the conditioner. I guess you have already felt a marked difference in the suppleness of the seals.

I would prefer doing the Shadow seal rejuvenation to the VW Eos any day - be thankful for small mercies......... .

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 483
Posted on Sunday, 04 September, 2016 - 17:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Your not wrong there David.
Quite a quick and easy job that's for sure.

You're right, I'm sure the shadow is a walk in the park compared to the eos

John Beech
New User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, 07 November, 2016 - 20:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I read with interest the posts about Krytox GPL105 (205 is same-same but in their 2oz size). So I visited Amazon and just before adding it to my cart noticed something called; nextzett 91480615 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz . . . and as I read the reviews of this German product, which seemed to be getting the same kind of feedback from users as the Krytox but at <USD$10 for the product is, if not downright cheap, far more economical I thought, "why not?" and bought a package. Speaking of which, it's packaged with a foam applicator similar to the Kiwi product that started this thread and which we've all seen for polishing shoes. Importantly, on the second of three pages of reviews one fellow commented that it seems to work as well as the Krytox 105, which was a key piece of information in leading me down this path. Thus, I've ordered one and will report back when a suitable period of time has passed and if you'd like to join me, this is a link, which I first ran through TinyURL:

Gummi Pflege Stift - http://tinyurl.com/z4uydts

nextzett 91480615 'Gummi Pflege Stift

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: