Wind noise Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Wind noise « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Experienced User
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, 16 December, 2012 - 07:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My car has excessive wind noise. I have finally had time to track down the cause by selectively sealing off different areas with masking tape. The result is the wind noise is coming from the top of the windscreen/windshield where it meets the roof, so to speak. The rubber seal is visually in good condition, no damage or holes in it, but it has gone hard with age. Does anyone know of any liquid sealer/glue that I could apply to re-seal the windscreen. I have done a search of the forums but most of the discussion is about door seals. Has anyone else had this problem with wind noise from the windscreen seal.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Sunday, 16 December, 2012 - 09:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff, there is a very expensive Dupont Teflon lubricant that is widely used on door, window and roof seals on convertibles and hardtops for maintaining elastomer seals. I have used it on my partner's VW Eos with great success and it could also be used to soften and preserve your windscreen rubbers; once the seal has softened, it can be manipulated to eliminate the shrinkage gaps between the glass, seal and bodywork.

The lubricant is Krytox GPL105 and only requires the lightest of smears during application - two applications may be necessary for long-neglected seals. The product is also available as a grease.

Obtaining GPL105 from a Dupont distributor is problematic as you only need a 50/100ml quantity and very few distributors repackage from their bulk stock. VW dealers sell repackaged GPL105 as a spare part item for the Eos roof seals albeit at a much higher price than purchasing it from a Dupont distributor.

More information is on the following link and you can find your nearest distributor through the Dupont website:

http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/en_US/index.html

In your environment, the only other alternative that might be suitable is resealing the gaps around the windscreen seal with marine-grade or similar silicone sealer with high UV degradation resistance.

Geoff Wootton
Experienced User

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, 16 December, 2012 - 09:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David - I have just checked ebay and there is a supplier of 1/2 oz bottles for just $18.95 - definitely something I shall try in the first instance. I did come across Permatex 81730 Flowable Silicone Windshield and Glass Sealer in my searches but this product would have given me too much opportunity to make a complete mess of the windscreen rubber. I shall start gently with the Krytox. Thanks for the information; I would never have come across this had I not asked.

David Gore

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Sunday, 16 December, 2012 - 07:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff, the Krytox is non-toxic and is best applied with a bare finger tip to avoid over-use. It is better to apply two light coats an hour or two apart than one heavy coat. It penetrates best if you leave the car in the sun after application to warm the seal. Just make sure you test it on a hidden part of the seal first before doing a full application.

If you accidentally get some fluid on the window glass, just wipe it off with a paper towel and finish off with a clean dry polishing cloth to minimise smearing.

A word of warning with Ebay, some purchasers have found they have not been supplied with Krytox but an inferior silicone alternative or a mixture of Krytox and silicone which does not work as effectively as pure Krytox. Price is the usual guide, I pay AUD90 for a 50gram [1.8oz - approx 3 US tablespoons] container from a Dupont dealer which is enough for 5 full vehicle treatments.

Geoff Wootton
Experienced User

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, 17 December, 2012 - 03:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David - that's worrying as I have already
ordered it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUPONT-KRYTOX-GPL-105-OIL-LUBRICANT-PFPE-Perfluoropolyether-Auto-Squeaks-Rattles-/370608496774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5649fce086

It is impossible to tell if this is a genuine advert, one of the problems of buying from ebay. I guess I shall try it on a test piece of rubber and see what happens.

David Gore

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Monday, 17 December, 2012 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,

I do not think you should be concerned this time - it would be a very brave [and foolish] seller based in the USA who would include registered trade marks and brand names on counterfeit/adulterated products. The legal costs involved in defending court action for misrepresentation would be horrendous.

The purchasers with bad experiences I referred to were elsewhere in the world.

Geoff Wootton
Experienced User

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, 17 December, 2012 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that David.

Bradley van Ree
New User
Username: bradbase

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, 23 December, 2012 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,

Like many (maybe most?), I've had experience with wind noise coming from the top side of the windscreen...

I don't want to take away from David's suggestion of a temporary fix as that advice is worthwhile but a deeper fix is not as terrible as one might expect.

What happens is the seal gets tired under the weight of the windscreen and allows the window to sag a little. Usually not enough to let water in but certainly enough to let it whistle (mine leaked like a sieve). I expect that if you get the window re-set (taken out and re-installed) it should eliminate the noise. I can't tell the condition of your window rubber but often people don't need to replace it. Re-setting the windscreen isn't a major task and so I expect it to be fairly affordable (mine was).

Through my experience I suggest you take the whistling as a sign the window may no longer be sealed properly due to the above reason. If the window no longer sits correctly at the top it's likely to be out of alignment in other parts (eg; the bottom). Again, an issue I had. Again, mine leaked terribly. Re-setting the window fixed it.

The same issue can occur in the rear window but is less likely to be picked up as they don't whistle. I have found water trails under the rear seats in mine. In my case no trails seemed fresh but it's certainly something to put on your regular check-list.

I'm yet to find a decisive way to look after the window rubbers. eg; Products or whatever. The tactic I'm taking is to do my best to ensure the car stays out of the sun as much as practical. (eg; don't store it outside without protection).

A side note from my experience; while checking under the rear seats for leaks ensure the two rubber grommets/plugs are fitted. Mine was missing one which caused the insulation under the seat to rot.

Geoff Wootton
Experienced User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, 23 December, 2012 - 02:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bradley,

I am pleased to hear that resetting the windscreen is not a major task, as having never removed a windscreen before, the job fills me with some trepidation, for obvious reasons. My current strategy is to start with the least invasive methods first, gradually moving up to replacing the windscreen rubber if necessary.

So far I have carried out 3 applications of Krytox as per David's instructions. The rubber has softened and I suspect been rejuvenated slightly as there is already a noticeable reduction in wind noise of about 20%. The fact that the rubber is now much more pliable means I can now apply a liquid sealant using a blunt tipped syringe, just under the lip of the rubber seal. This will be my next step after a few more days, having given the krytox time to be fully absorbed. If after these efforts I still have wind noise, then I shall move on to your approach of resetting the windscreen. Many thanks for the information you have sent; it is very useful.