Brake fluid bleeding tubes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Brake fluid bleeding tubes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 565
Posted on Monday, 05 October, 2015 - 09:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While in hospital I took a disguarded breathing oxygen tube thingy. They can't be reused because of infection etc and are thrown in the bin.

The end that plugs into the oxygen supply fits brake bleed nipples. Best bleed tube I have ever had.

Best things in life are free.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2015 - 01:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

I have a cousin who's a home health nurse and have had her collect various types of vinyl tubing, including oxygen tubes, that get pitched away but that aren't considered a biohazard.

You're correct that this tubing makes a really good brake bleed tube and I've found other handy uses as well. The nice thing is that you generally end up with quite a lot of it even if it was just your own so it becomes disposable after use if one so desires.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 567
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2015 - 04:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The couplings are handy as well for sreen wash tube joining. The couplings look so purposeful.

As you said I am not short of screen wash tubing. Also handy for sleeving wires for extra protection.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2015 - 07:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Whether it's original or not I strongly prefer transparent tubing in virtually any application where it can work. It lets you know so much about what is (or is not) occurring with fluid flow.

Brian

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 573
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2015 - 09:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Transparent radiator hoses would be good.

Can I have transparent tyres so I can se the air inside.

Today while doing my screen wash ons can see the blue wash fluid moving in the pipe handy.

Transparent brake hoses then one can look for air bubbles.

I reckon there's a market for this idea. But how do you make transparent hoses that will be strong enough.

I once fitted plastic hose in place of rubber heater hose and hot water soften the hose and the hose expanded and ballooned up between the clips and clamps. It looked like a giant sausage. That was clear hose. I thought it was a good idea being able to see the coolant until it ballooned. It lasted 10 miles. The problem is all clear plastic hose goes soft even as low a 40c. The other thing it does is heat up cool down a few times and then go brittle when cold and shatter. Which is why it must not be used for fuel lines. It eill be fine for a while then leak then break. Learnt this from my motorbike experience.

The rad header tank over flow pipe is a candidate. Any wetness inside indicates an event. The steam valve lifting event.

I am thinking of fitting a whistle to the overflow pipe. I want to make the whistle but not sure how. I have a 3/8 bore bit of copper pipe as a starting point.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2015 - 20:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob,

If you have access to a library that subscribes to the UK "Model Engineer" magazine and has back copies going back to the 1980's, I remember an article on designing and making miniature whistles for live steam model locomotives. I have a copy somewhere in my archives which are currently a long way away from where I will be for the next month or so.

However, in the meantime, the following link will get you going:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=11716

Have fun and hope you do not annoy your neighbours like the classic "Tootle" from the Little Golden Books of my childhood .

P.S. The best whistles are the triple chime versions.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 577
Posted on Wednesday, 07 October, 2015 - 06:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Silly me I have serval sets of pitch pipes for standard guitar tuning.

But making one appeals more. Because it has to look Crewey.

My car does not over heat. Especially between the hours of 11pm and 7 am. In which period sounding the car horn is illegal. Also illegal is sounding the horn at any time other than warn other people. So at 2am we run people over instead. Daft law. Never heard of any body getting nicked.

If the over flow pipe is extended towards the driver and casually fixed so that it expels its steam into the gutter around where the bonnet meets wing then the steam will be noticed very fast by the driver.

Or extend the pipe into the car for cups of tea.

Recently a guy with a Dukes of Hazard reproduction Charger sounded his Dixie horns and the police nicked him. But there was so much back lash from locals- Weymouth Dorset-- that the police backed down. The law is that fitting them is legal but using them is illegal. The car was for a theme wedding.

Some coppers get anal. The law was intended to stop people using horns that sound like emergency vehicles but the stupid coppers apply the law to every multi tone horn.

If we were allowed to have horns that play tunes what tune would you have for a Rolls-Royce.

How about the cello part of Pachebels Cannon a bit up tempo though.
Jaws.
Alfred Hitchcocks Shower scene music.

High volume guitar power chords.

This is actually easy to do. There are special loudspeaker on emergency vehicles that run off an amp which has a pre recorded "tunes" on it.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 579
Posted on Wednesday, 07 October, 2015 - 06:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Further investigations into steam whistles.

I like the idea of triple whistles.

I want to use either D major or minor.

On the engineering site is a picture of a diy whistle. 1" dia. I will start with 15mm copper pipe. I have lots of off cuts. The whistle needs to work at 1/2 pressure 7 psi is ideal. I can tune them with my electronic tuner. Adjustable slides like a trombone.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Wednesday, 07 October, 2015 - 07:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Musical horn for a R-R/B......

"Land of Hope and Glory" comes to mind straight away as being an appropriate fanfare for a Rolls-Royce vehicle pre-Shadow.

Still thinking about something suitable for a Shadow and later models and Bentleys.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, 07 October, 2015 - 07:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What about Bat out of Hell by Meat Loaf for a Turbo R.

Richard.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 587
Posted on Wednesday, 07 October, 2015 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pomp and Circumstance by Elgar for pre 65 cars.

The mer ner nob song by the Muppets.

Bach Tocata and Fugue.

Not only music.

Lions roaring elephants Trumping. Widlebeast galloping.

Or how about other noises.

Screeching brakes and tyres followed by a big bang.

Or record a load of abuse.

You f#@#£€ &@#$@× where did you get your license you %=÷€£&/$.

Machine gun fire.

Now I see why there's a law against it because I want one. If they were legal they would sell like hot cakes and get made illegal soon after due to punch ups.