Mot. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Mot. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 188.29.164.184
Posted on Saturday, 02 May, 2015 - 23:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Page 3 of May 2015 practical classic magazine.

The editor, Danny Hopkins and Fuzz Townsend. Are against extending mot exemptions from pre 1960 to 40 year old roll on. Meaning at present 1975 and before.

Else where in the magazine Fuzz says he is repairing a newly mot jag with structral rot repaired with bondo. Exemption has nothing to do with an UNSENSIBLE BODGE used to fool the testing station.

Note the word unsensible as opposed to my sensible bodges which does not include bondo anything. I have welded many cars with thicker steel than standard. Its my natural inclination to gross over engineer welded repairs.

Sellers of suspension parts are reporting less sales for pre 1960 cars. Implying that owners of pre 60s cars are using worn out ball joints etc.

I was involved with mot from the garage point of view and the Department of Transport.

The Independent garage tends to fail ball joints because they can detect lift.

The government tester would only fail if excessive.

A slightly worn ball joint does effect handling but not so much as to be dangerous.

The tester job is to draw the line at how much lift is allowed.

Some trucks if the king pin is assembled without bushes the rock in the wheel is still within gov limits. So such a truck cant fail on worn bushes. The pin can wear further than the limit though and a sensible operator would have seen it before I do and fixed it.

A tyre has about 10mm of tread when new. A worn tyre is deemed unsafe at 1.6 for cars and 1mm for trucks and bikes. At exactly what depth is the tyre compromised. How about 4 mm, who knows.
And of course just because a tyre is bald an accident is not definite. Usually a puncture due to no tread occurs before an accident or the mot or a service picks it up.

As Brian Vogel pointed out cars arn't flying into the trees because of no testing.

The cops reaction will be that any exempt car is worth a stop check just to enforce the regs here and there.

So I am sitting on the fence.

Note bondo repair

(Message approved by david_gore)