Flat V12 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Flat V12 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.89
Posted on Thursday, 18 September, 2014 - 07:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This posting is going to cause ones brain cells to melt.

How can a V12 be flat surely if the bank angle is 180 degrees then it's a flaty.

A flat 12 has opposite pistons going outwards together and is refered to as a boxer and each piston has it's own crank pin

A flat V12 has opposite pistons moving the same way when a piston is at tdc then it's opposite will be at bdc and share the same crankpin.

Ferrari build flat V12 and flat boxer 12s.

Confused. Imagine a 60 deg. V12 flattened out to 180 degs.

The best angle for a V12 is 120 Degs. Not 60 degs.

Flat V8s are also possible but too wide which is why RR considered the configuration and turned it down.
Flat boxer 8 as in some Porsche cars are very powerful and well balanced because the boxer 8 has good primary and secondary balance which almost eliminates the rocking couple.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, 26 September, 2014 - 01:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cadillac's 135 degree V-16 of 1938-1940 was a notable effort: smooth and powerful. Not quite flat though. The original 16 was 60 degrees I think.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.88
Posted on Friday, 26 September, 2014 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

V16 engines are weird because it's a combination of so many smaller configurations is it 4 V4s or 4 straight 4s or 2 V8s or 8 vee twins, 2 straight 8s

135 is 90 plus 45 degrees which fits all of the above for good balance. 60 degrees doesn't fit.

But with 16 cylinders it probably would be smooth because it's firing every 45 degrees, regardless of the angle. Two distributors makes timing easy.

What a beast of an engine. Optimum cylinder size of say 1/2 litre so that the bang is small and 8 litres. Square bore and stroke for some revs, 400 hp no problem.
I shall bash one up tomorrow from 16 Manx Norton 500 singles.
Lots of sprockets and chains.

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, 27 September, 2014 - 08:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And oldham couplings.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.84
Posted on Saturday, 27 September, 2014 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I got it worked out 16 engines in a line crank to crank alternate the angles at 45 from vertical.

The last crankshaft will have take all the power so the power is taken from the middle.

Castrol R for oil and a large tray to catch the leaking oil.

Then fit a kick starter. Tickle 16 amal GP carbs till petrol dribbles out of the bell mouths retard the mag and one's brain, find TDC go just past and jump on the kick start.

Perfect what can go wrong!

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, 28 September, 2014 - 11:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob, I thought about a novelty engine years ago, similar to yours: I would take 8, 10 HP horizontal-shaft engines, as lawnmower engines; build a steel frame to hold them in line, and use toothed belts to connect them to a common shaft below. Put them in time, as a straight eight engine, say with a firing order of 1-6-2-5-8-3-7-4, and take power off the end of the shaft. It should have good balance. There are several iterations possible: you could keep each engine's original parts, or else build a common intake manifold and use one carb; install an 8-cylinder distributor in place of the individual ignitions; install a common flywheel; build a shared cooling-air blower and ducting. Gosh it would be interesting (to me at least).
Eight, 10 HP engines = 80 HP. Awesome. Ever seen one? I haven't.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Experienced User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, 28 September, 2014 - 12:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have the personalised plate V16 in an Australian state. But I no longer live in that state. But I think it only cost me $50 AUD over an decade and a half ago. However, thats nothing compared to the idiotic amounts some of the very well heeled are willing to pay for a plate. So mister rich guy move to that state buy a V16 car and pay me a heap for the plate so I can buy another Camargue, perhaps the convertible one in the US. Personally, I think the Camargue should have came standard with a V16.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master

Post Number: 310
Posted on Sunday, 28 September, 2014 - 13:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A V-16 would have been over-the-top special; no doubt.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Experienced User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, 28 September, 2014 - 14:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thats right Randy, a V16 Camargue, with 8 dual throat carburettors, 2 distributors, quad cams and extractors that looked like a spagetti explosion along with a red nitros oxide button inside. Had RR pulled that one off it would have changed the world while producing a fine car with a spectacular economy of 2 miles to the gallon. Yes these types of things were essential but sadly it just did not happen

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 657
Posted on Sunday, 28 September, 2014 - 19:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"What can go wrong"? My old Triumph Thunderbird 650 kicked back one day resulting in a twisted kneecap that took weeks to heal.

Do that on a V16 and you will believe a man can fly!