Pumps Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Pumps « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.88
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2014 - 09:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many years ago I worked for the BBC for a few months (1975) and I was trying to fix a camera dolly which had a hydraulic pump I spent all day to find the pump inlet was obstructed and once the muck was cleaned off the mesh the dolly worked fine. If I had checked it first then the job would be 8 mins not 8 hours and bits everywhere and a puddle of tellus oil.

Brake pumps, fuel pumps, engine oil pumps, screen washer pumps. All these pumps rely on barometric pressure for inlet pressure plus a bit of head pressure. At best maybe 17 psi.

This is not a lot so for all these pumps to work the supply must be free flowing. The filters can only ever be coarse.

Engines are pumps and they like free flowing air to the engine direct or the turbo then engine.

Also carb float bowls rely on barometric pressure above the fuel to push the fuel out of the jets.

The no such thing as suction only barometric pressure and head pressure with liquids.

(Message approved by david_gore)