An unenviable task? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » An unenviable task? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.57
Posted on Tuesday, 13 April, 2004 - 07:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Challenging as some questions on this forum may be, what of the gentleman from Wisconsin who has sought assistance on the R-R (U.S) forum. He has to give a 15 minute discourse on Rolls-Royce, to a forthcoming Rotary function group and said that having volunteered, he is now uncertain as to what to say. Despite being Easter etc., I would have thought that out of 10,000 regd. users, someone other than myself would have responded by now, given his call for assistance. As I noted, this assignment could well be more formidable than a engine re-build, however I have offered my meagre input and wished him success in attempting to condense 100 years into 15 minutes in what would appear to be a rather difficult exercise at relatively short notice.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, 13 April, 2004 - 09:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Unlike our Forum, the US Forum is closed to non-members of the RROC[USA] and consequently misses out on the input from the various contributors to this and other open forums.

You will note the most prolific contributors are associated with the open forums and less so with the closed RREC/RROC[USA] forums - a victory for open access and free speech!

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.154
Posted on Tuesday, 13 April, 2004 - 20:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David, I hesitate to query the assertion as above, however the RROC (U.S) forum as it currently stands (unless I have misinterpreted it a moment ago) is divided into TWO clearly separate "main" headings. The first is the R-R Public forum, which, as it states, allows members AND non members to canvass any "R-R" related issues. That heading is then followed by the Members ONLY section, which is divided into General and Technical sub sections. I know you dont need to be a member of the RROC(U.S) to access the excellent Public forum which often lists similar (if not identical) topics to that which are posted under the restricted Members section. A case of ready/unrestricted access to the Public forum (by NON members) was recently illustrated by the poster who provocatively declared, "I am too rich", effectively inviting "rich"(?) "R-R/B" owners to tell him how to escape from his burdensome problem. Suggestions rained in (some not being particularly polite!) and after dozens were posted in response, the taunting correspondent identified himself merely as a mischievous, income challenged school teen in search of some "fun" as he put it. Perhaps this illustrates what can occur when forums are freely open to the public. Notwithstanding this,the moderator of the U.S Public forum allowed the rather pointless but amusing exchange to continue to finality, which at least proves that in that northern bastion of democracy, U.S citizens continue to enjoy the Right to Free Speech, much to the envy of others including myself. I submit that said right does not appear to have inhibited the U.S.A from becoming the global military and economic power which it is today and given time, other countries may follow their lead. Such a "right", is of course, not absolute, hence, democratic governments/administrations and publishers at large, will, of necessity (and in deference to common decency) remain obliged to prohibit the use of FOUL ,and/or ABUSIVE/THREATENING or SLANDEROUS language or commentary. However, in the normal course of communication regarding "R-R/B" motor cars, owners thereof, wherever they may be, would rarely seek to be so guilty.