Grumpy starting Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Grumpy starting « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

PAUL DABROWSKI
Yet to post message
Username: shabbyshadow2

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 02 January, 2006 - 21:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen, advice needed,
My car SRH35797, aka the Shabby Shadow 2 with the optional Princess Margaret finish to the top half, has a problem when starting from cold. On days over 25 degrees celcius, she starts perfectly, but especially during the colder months, she starts very grumpy, lots of unburnt fuel, rough running etc. I have a lovely black semi circle of carbon on my carpark wall to prove it. Needless to say my other vehicle C180 Kompressor WDC2030452R152689 is the vehicle of choice for my partner who can safely stand by it when I start it and not have to worry about being reduced to a coughing fit, especially in the cooler months. Is a carby overhaul needed? Your comments please......

(Message edited by admin on January 03, 2006)

Miguel A. Garcia
Frequent User
Username: magarcia

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, 02 January, 2006 - 23:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Paul,
about the carbon circle i had to say that my both Shadows, SRH3430 and SRH13052 draws the same in the garage´s floor. They do it in every cold start, but both starts quickly and fast. Noise is more rumorous than when the engine is hot, yet, but i think this is normal... If it helps, when i changed the sparkplugs to SRH3430 from the Champion N12Y to Champion N14Y, it starts worst, as these are colder ones.
Anyway there are too many causes that could cause this bad starting. You should also check the ignition, contacts, etc...
I hope this helps, but Most useres here have more knowledge about it than myself.
regards

Miguel

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 582
Posted on Tuesday, 03 January, 2006 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul/ The choking system for these cars is fairly crude and until they installed fuel injection there would always be the black rings and choking partners to a greater or lesser extent. Choking is achieved by closing off the air supply by means of a very large butterfly on the main air intake. You can remove the air induction hose and observe its operation.

But before I launch into detail I gather you have a Shadow II from the chassis number. Perhaps it is fitted with fuel injection? Perhaps you could let us know.

PAUL DABROWSKI
New User
Username: shabbyshadow2

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 03 January, 2006 - 14:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, my car is a carby model.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 583
Posted on Tuesday, 03 January, 2006 - 23:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Right. The choke butterfly is closed by a bi-metallic spring. When the spring is heated it expands and this opens the butterfly and the engine is 'de-choked'. The heating is done by sucking a small quantity of air over the coil which has passed through a heat exchanger in the left hand exhaust manifold. You will have noticed two insulated pipes between the induction system and the manifold, those carry the air. If the pipe rots - which they do and usually break away at the manifold the system simply sucks ambient air which eventually gets hot enough to heat the coils but in the meantime the choke stays on. So that is the first place to look. A simple test is to unscrew the nipple on the top of the intake pipe and put your finger over it while the engine is running. If there is little or no suction you should go look for a leak!

Next is the choke setting itself. Rather than fill these columns with iterative detail can I refer you to Tee One Topics which are available on this website. Go to issue 36 pages 530 to 533. When you have digested that come back with your questions if any! Good luck