SS2 Condition after long term shut down Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » SS2 Condition after long term shut down « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, 04 December, 2005 - 13:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Posted by PETER DIXON on Saturday, 03 December, 2005 - 06:37 pm:
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1980 SS2 that has had a chequered history.
It has only 69000k on the clock which I am sure is genuine.
It was used at every low levels, few k per year and then it was garaged without use for 7 years.
Since it was put back on the road it has done about 9000 k. Under the hood it looks good. It runs and drives extremely well.

My question is if the vehicle in its 7 year rest did not have the coolant, petrol and anything drained out, or anything else that should have been done, done, would it be likely that any problems as a consequence would by now have shown up.
I have visions of slowly disintegrating alloy heads etc.

Very odd, I received this in e-mail, came to look, and could not see any text in the thread.
Hope there is no problem here.

Drain/flush all fluids as appropriate.
Grease all fittings.
Lubricate hinges, locks, latches and linkages on the car.
Replace all tires with new.
Replace bezel air, engine air, fuel and oil filters.
Replace engine drive belts.
Replace wiper blades.
Consult owners manual for other service needed.
Read "Tee-One Topics" published by Bill Coburn: http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/show.pl?17/3717
Have a great day.
whunter

PETER DIXON
Frequent User
Username: petenlinid

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, 04 December, 2005 - 14:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not sure what happened there whunter. I did post but immediately withdrew deciding initially to draw on other sources for the information I required, including T One Topics. As it turns out the car has had just about a complete overhaul of everything possible, by Crewe Motors.
Many thanks for your contribution.
Peter

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 584
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2006 - 05:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter

It was you with the failing brakes on a Shadow was it not? If so what was the cause?

PETER DIXON
Frequent User
Username: petenlinid

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2006 - 21:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes indeed Bill it was I. The brake failure problem, after a complete overhaul of everything you can think of in relation to brakes, was solved. They are now quite perfect. Unfortunately whatever the cause, or possible combination of causes was, was never really worked out.

Cheers
Peter

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 586
Posted on Thursday, 05 January, 2006 - 07:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My dear Peter

Well that is a lot of help - are we going to attribute problems to Gremlins in the WW2 tradition. Frankly the older these cars get the more weird things are going wrong. The latest fright appears to be back axles up to Clouds but wait for it the Shadows will get their turn. The best prophylaxis seems to be frequent oil changes. Any cars I get my hands on I drop the diff oil with the engine oil. A litre of oil is a small price to pay for an intact diff. Good news anyway. Cheers for the New Year,