Headlights stuck on High beam... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Headlights stuck on High beam... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brad Clinch
Posted on Saturday, 08 March, 2003 - 14:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone.

Please advise re the following malfunction...

Last night my headlights stuck on High beam.

The symptoms:
With the parking lights on, the parkers are on as usual. And I can flash High beam with the stalk (normal momentary flash).
But when turning the switch to (normal) headlights, they are on High beam.
In fact, it looks like both High and Low filaments are all on, judging by the illumination pattern on the road.

Something which may be relevant, is that at some time in my car's history, someone? had replaced a headlight relay (behind the LHS headlights) with some other relay, which I have been wanting to put back to standard. But alas, have not as yet done so.
And I have found that the use of high beam for any longer than a few minutes, causes the auto resetting circuit-breaker to drop out (which drops out high beam and the RHS low beam headlight... I've considered they were possibly incorrectly wired, in that 3 lights are loaded where only 2 should be?).
The C/B resets automatically after a few minutes.

I did replace all 4 of the original headlights with quartz halogens within the first week of owning the car, but ensured they were of the same wattage as the original equipment.

Incidentally, last week someone reversed into my car (and left with no concern). The lense was broken and this fault has occurred since.
Most likely a coincidence, but yet again...??

Does anyone know of a likely cause of my troubles?

ALSO...

WANTED: to suit 1979 Silver Shadow series II - front Lucas fog light/s or diffusers!!

My location is the Gold Coast, Australia.

I can also be contacted directly regarding parts, by emailing: abcomputers@froggy.com.au

Thanking you in advance for any assistance.
Brad}}}