Halfords oil Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Halfords oil « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Prolific User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, 26 February, 2015 - 05:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've always used Castrol Clasic XL 20W50 mineral oil to my satisfaction.

Recently, when in the UK I picked up a couple of cans of Halfords 20W50 as it was much cheaper. The oil has a green colour where the Castrol has the more usual golden shade.

The trouble started when I changed the oil and filter. When starting from cold my '79 Shadow has always produced a small whisp of blue smoke which quickly dissapeared. The car consumes a bit of oil but certainly nothing out of the ordinary.
However since using the Halfords oil the blue smoke is now very noticeable and follows the car for the first few miles. Also oil consmption is now much higher.

Has anyone experienced the same ? Is it possible that Halfords oil is inferior and causes these symptons ? Or is it just a coincidence and does the car have some other problems ?

Benoit

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, 26 February, 2015 - 06:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Benoit you will have to go back to where you were to find the answer it is probably the old adage you get what you pay for.

Richard.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Thursday, 26 February, 2015 - 07:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting as I have had a similar experience over the last 12 months with my diesel 4WD using two different grades of engine oil from the same manufacturer.

When using their "Silver" 15W-40 multigrade oil, exhaust smoke when the engine was under load was more obvious and oil consumption was consistently 1 litre in 5000kM.

After changing to their "Gold" 15W-40 multigrade when the "Silver" multigrade oil was discontinued, exhaust smoke was immediately less obvious and no change in the engine oil level has been evident at the subsequent scheduled changes after 5000kM of use.

It is my opinion this experience validates the old Castrol slogan "oils ain't oils" as this confirms there is a relationship between oil quality and oil consumption presumably associated with the additives and their quality used by the manufacturer as observed by my recent experience of over 50,000kM using the higher grade oil.

I doubt if you have a problem with your car other than the use of inferior quality engine oil.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: