Tin Dispensor for ULP Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Tin Dispensor for ULP « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Aitken
Experienced User
Username: james_a

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, 01 July, 2004 - 09:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Somebody once suggested to me fitting to early (leaded fuel) cars a device called a "tin dispenser" in the fuel line. It was described as a canister full of powdered tin through which the fuel was passed and thereby a minute amount of tin was disolved into the fuel. This tin was supposed to act in the combustion process very much like lead used to.

Has anybody heard of these and does anybody know anything about them and their legality in Australia on pre-emission control vehicles?

John Aravanis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 213.5.21.99
Posted on Thursday, 01 July, 2004 - 22:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello James,
what you are looking for you will find at www.broquet.co.uk.
These are "sausage like" bags filled with pellets of some sort of alloy and the manufacturer claims that you can use unleaded fuel in old cars, plus improved mileage. The metal is not consumed by the fuel though, it just deteriorates after some (quite) a while.
Thinking of buying it for my '70 Shadow.
Regards,
John
Athens, Greece

Jon Rothwell
Experienced User
Username: jon_rothwell

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, 01 July, 2004 - 22:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There have been a variety of tests done on these devices and despite the claims of the manufacturers I have yet to see one with a positive result. I would suggest contacting one of the Aussie motoring clubs or organizations for more info on the use and legality of these types of devices in Australia.

I just use premium unleaded in my English import (100 octane only) Shadow and it seems fine, for older classic engines without hardened valve seats you can use one of a variety of fuel additives. Before using any fuel additive though it is worth checking with your state motoring organization or car club to see if there is any information on the performance and reliability of the product in question.

My research on most of the “bolt on” devices suggests that they are “snake oil”, some liquid fuel additives seem to rate very well but it does seem to depend on the car, mileage, and driving patterns.