Unleaded Fuel OK? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Miscellaneous » Threads to 2010 » Unleaded Fuel OK? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Natty Bumppo
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.243.161.67
Posted on Monday, 23 August, 2004 - 09:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone know how to use an ohmmeter to monitor coolant condition? Assuming iron block and cylinder head, soft water with only a decent corrosion inhibitor like Red Line or No-Rosion (no antifreeze), what readings do we look for? For example, such-and-such for good condition, such-and-such for marginal, such-and-such for time to replace coolant.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, 23 August, 2004 - 13:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Natty,

Technically I do not think an electrical meter is an appropriate way to monitor coolant chemical stability/effectiveness as too many variables can change the resistance of the fluid.

I note "Super Cheap Auto Parts" are advertising a new inhibited coolant that changes colour when it reaches the end of its life [apparently Pink to Yellow if my memory is correct]. This indicates the use of a chemical indicating agent in the fluid that responds to the content of the essential component(s).

I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS TYPE OF FLUID WOULD BE SUITABLE FOR R-R/B ENGINES SO WOULD NOT USE IT UNTIL FURTHER ADVICE IS OBTAINED.

(Message edited by david_gore on August 23, 2004)

Helen Hopkins
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 14:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am in Townsville and have a 1971 Silver Shadow. Leaded fuel will be finished here next month. From what I have read on this forum it sounds as though it will be safe for me to go straight to unleaded. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Helen

Bill Coburn
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 14:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Only time will tell. It seems that the best course of action is to use straight unleaded fuel and the worst you can expect is valve damage although this is most unlikely due to the specially hardened valve seats and faces used by the Factory.

If you go to Lead Replacement Fuel (LRP) you will be using, apparently, unleaded fuel with an additive sold overseas by Castrol as Valvemaster but marketed here by Shell under the same name.

The only drawback to this it seems is that the additive is high in aromatic compounds (that's the classification not a general adjective) and these are known to have a deleterious effect on 'rubber' fuel lines and components. I use parenthesis because few of the so called rubber products are actually rubber.

The Shadow has a number of 'rubber' fuel lines as connectors under the car and one would be well advised if using LRP to keep an eye on these since if they rot through, burst and spray onto the adjacent hot exhaust you will probably not make the next concours!

The short answer is to use unleaded fuel and maybe knock the spark back a tad if pre-ignition is noticeable. Hopefully, this site will include accounts from owners of the next year or so.

The real irony is that it now appears that there is no proven nexus between children's absorption of lead and the use of leaded petrol; the principal concern of the crusadsers against lead. But there is growing concern about the pumping of known carcinogens into the air by cars using the unleaded stuff. The only positive benefit I can think of is that in the event of an olifactory detection of an unpleasant emanation I no longer resort to blaming my dog. I simply point to the car in front.

Martin Cutler
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 14:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ironic indeed that Australia blindly follows the US in banning leaded fuel when it has been proven not to be a problem, and then expect us to pump benzene into the air, and not even worry about it. When the current generation don't live past 65, maybe the "government" will finally think for itself instead of blindly following others.

In the US they have exhaust fans fitted to nozzles at the gas station to draw the benzene away from the person filling the car. Is nobody paying any attention to this issue in Australia...

My only advice is when you smell that smell, DON'T BREATHE! Makes the sulphur in diesel exhaust seem lovely by comparison.

In 50 years time our children will not thank us for unleaded petrol.

Will finish now before I get any angrier!

Helen Hopkins
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 14:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks heaps to Bill and Martin. I have seen an Oxford paper re. the leaded/unleaded boo-boo. Amazing what is NOT in the public domain.

I expect in a generation or two much research will be funded to find which teratogen is causing the increase in early onset Ca's.

I'm going to stick with blaming the dog in the name of stress reduction!

Helen

Martin Cutler
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 14:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any chance you can email or snail mail that paper? I am the editor for a few historic vehicle clubs, and would like as much ammo as possible for my little crusade!

Helen Hopkins
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 14:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My son has the paper. I will arrange for him to get a copy to you. Perhaps you could let me have your e-mail and snail mail addresses.( My son is away until Saturday) My e-mail address is hopkinsh@bigpond.com. Have you heard any reason for mainstream press not carrying this story?

Bill Coburn
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 14:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Frankly Martin, I don't give a damn. In the ACT we are governed to the point where I am required to dispose of a hypodermic needle in an exchange some 7 kilometers from home and I use one every 2 months in a good season.

Brake fluid I now have to sneak into an unmarked service station and as for Pampas Grass I am thinking of contacting the Mafia! In short it is better that you adopt a sanguine approach and live longer if only to see what the silly buggers do next!

Back to the Brandy bottle for me!

Lisa Buckleton
Posted on Sunday, 18 March, 2001 - 14:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Whatever you do, DON'T use the LRP!!!! IT'S CRAP!

We have three vehicles that were using leaded petrol -- 1933 PII, 1939 Wraith and 1982 Sigma (yeah, I know, don't laugh). When the WA govt (in their infinite wisdom) decided to ban leaded petrol, we used the LRP. ENDLESS PROBLEMS! Poor starting, rough idling (the Sigma even quit at the lights a couple of times), poor consumption and the smoke!

We've now switched all three to standard unleaded (not premium. You can get various additives which you add yourself. At least that way you know how much additive is going in.

Ian Hodgson
Posted on Wednesday, 16 May, 2001 - 17:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a fuel unit on the market called a fuelstar I have used one on my jaguar xj6 1986 and used unleaded petrol, and for five years it is as good as ever.I now have fitted fuelstar to my rollsroyce silver sprit 1981. and my bentley mulsanne turbo 1985. And all seems to be good.

bob (213.122.231.231)
Posted on Monday, 13 May, 2002 - 03:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We in the UK have been sadled with cats. Cats don't work for the first 5 miles. The average car journey is 5 miles. These are gov. figures. Their mad.