Floating in a Phantom Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Post-Spirit » Floating in a Phantom « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2008 - 07:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well I finally did it and drove one of the new creations. An '05 model 80 something thousand clicks and immaculate of course. It is indeed the quietest car I have ever driven. When we have our Lexus serviced we usually get one of their hybrids as a loan car. I always try to drive them on battery even though they are very very quiet, since I love a quiet car. You would swear the Phantom was indeed electric. Put your foot into them, then you can then hear the engine but only then. They are a big car. Reminded me of the time I was trying to berth a 100,000 ton oil tanker into the wharves in Sydney Harbour and finally ran aground. It's true!! Actually it was on the Navy's simulator. It was the expanse of the bonnet and the gentle heaving and dipping as we rolled down the road. Sigh! Enough, I will be contacting the dealer to get a more leisurely and instructive drive and report back.

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 619
Posted on Friday, 22 January, 2016 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agree with you love of a quiet car; smooth also.
When I used to read about Rolls-Royces "wafting along" I could just imagine floating on air.
This to me is a comfortable Car.
As I knew Ford was always trying to copy the performance of the Rolls-Royce (ride and quiet) in the 1960s and 1970s, I could imagine what the Shadow would be like, and it really was familiar when I first rode in one (thanks Steve for that first ride in your Corniche).
Now I want to try the New Phantom or Ghost. Maybe at the US national meet this summer. I really would prefer the Bentley sedan to own, I think.

David Towers
Frequent User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, 01 May, 2016 - 21:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'd love a drive in a Phantom (new or old!) but what surprised me most is the sheer size of them! One was parked outside a hotel here in Torquay and it dwarfed everything around it. Make my Bentley look like a Mini

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 610
Posted on Sunday, 01 May, 2016 - 22:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had a demo model Phantom 3 or years ago for a weekend. Truly amazing - totally silent and immensely powerful. The experience is breathtaking. Yes its a big big bus but you quickly get used to the size. on day 2 I was chucking it around like a family saloon.
I want to buy one - but first let me get some of my existing clutter all sold. I also need a few clever people on this forum to gain experience regarding their maintenance. I am told tyres are a fortune to buy as are regular services.

Omar

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 467
Posted on Monday, 02 May, 2016 - 00:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Honestly Omar - you don't want a new Phantom or a late model one. They will be hideous to maintain with all the computerisation and electrics, possible acres of flimsy plastic - I saw one in California that was falling apart and I was not impressed by the build quality.

Its not really a Rolls Royce - its a German recreation of one. But then again a man has to do what he has to do but I think you will be crying big tears into a Corniche hub cap in the end.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 611
Posted on Monday, 02 May, 2016 - 01:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
The car I drove was so amazing that I dont really care who made the bugger - it was simply amazing.
I am scared of the maintenance costs whilst we dont have the forum experts to make ownership easier. But I am sure that this will change in time. I dont want to cry into my Corniche hub caps at any time - so I will park the Phantom purchase for a few years until some of you lot get to know the car better.
By the way - my Corniche has alloys which can barely hold 20 tears.... It also has a Bentley badge...

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 468
Posted on Monday, 02 May, 2016 - 04:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Omar don't park it for a few years, start her up and drive it around the block at least once a month. Nothing is worse for a car - any car - though they say Ferraris are the worst for it - than parking it up for substantial time. All kinds of unsuspected deterioration occurs.

But if I know you, if you say it was good to drive than my guess is you will have a jolly hard time parking it for any extended periods.

But tell me Omar - this fascination with cars that we have, given its expense and maintenance have you ever understood why we love cars so much. I have never been able to give reasons why ? Can you ?

I keep saying to myself - you have the Camargue, Cadillac and Jaguar - don't be crazy and buy another car and all I do is search the world for my next buy - there are some restorable Zims in Russia I would love to get my hands onto, plus Thunderbirds here and Testarossas in the USA its madness I know but I fear even going through a bit of financial craziness at the moment a new purchase is a must !

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 612
Posted on Tuesday, 03 May, 2016 - 13:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
The only thing I was parking was the idea of buying one. Not the cart itself. I would never be able to resist a parked Phantom if I owned one - I would drive the bugger every day.
The fascination with cars must have started when we owned Matchbox Dinky and Corgi cars in our childhood days. The games we played with them and the love of owning the next new model that was about to be released whenever they made new ones - this has to be the reason for me. I cant think why else. I have just not outgrown it for 48 years, and now I have substituted model cars for the real things. Am I the only one or is this a common theme? If so, maybe we can consider a class action suite against the buggers who gave us Matchbox, Dinky and Corgi for polluting our brains from childhood.

Omar

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: