Turbo R won't start Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Turbo R won't start « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

GrahamBurn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, 11 September, 2022 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all, it's been a while as other projects and life has got in the way but I'm finally back on the Turbo R, 1987.

Been in dry storage for about 2 years, drove in no problem but when it came time to revive it she turns over fine but doesn't fire. I have spark but no fuel, went through the electrics as best I could and all seems to be OK, tried the jumper from the washer motor to the start inhibit relay socket as per the manual and no pump run.

Went underneath and powered the pressure pump directly and discovered it's seized, I had a spare pump in the garage for another project but it turned out to be identical so removed the old pump ready to fit the replacement.

When I was removing the pump I discovered a second wire coming down through the floor with the power lead to the pump. The wires are very dirty so not sure about colour will need to get some solvent to see what they are the end of the spare wire has a cylindrical plastic plug on the end with a corroded terminal in the centre of a recess in the end, any idea what this could be?

I'm wondering if it's the supply to the in tank pump as with the pressure pump disconnected I couldn't hear it run with the jumper in place and ignition on?

TIA Graham

(Message approved by david_gore)

Graham Burn
Yet to post message
Username: grahamburn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, 15 September, 2022 - 21:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Replacement pump all assembled ready to go on tomorrow, any suggestions about the other wire which was all taped up alongside the power lead to the pressure pump, haven't been back to the car as other projects have taken priority. I can't read the cable colours on the fuel pump wiring diagram, if someone could post a copy with the colour codes clearly marked it would be a great help.
Thanks

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 765
Posted on Friday, 16 September, 2022 - 17:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Are they both original wires?

Graham Burn
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 17 September, 2022 - 06:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Michael as far as I can tell yes as they match other wires in the area, bound in loom tape coming down through a grommet in the floor forward and to the right of the tank out let where I believe the in tank pump is located? Don't want to disturb that if I can help it as it looks a bit tired.
I removed the cover panel in the boot but all I found on the back face of the tank were the fuel level sensor wires, at least I assume that's what they are as they are small gauge I would axpect the pump leads to be a bit heavier. Where do the pump leads for the in tank pump enter the tank? I can't find any details of these in the fuel system sections.
Graham

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 766
Posted on Saturday, 17 September, 2022 - 08:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham
I'm sure there is only one pump.
I'd like to know any colours you can see on the wires.
Good luck Mike

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 802
Posted on Saturday, 17 September, 2022 - 09:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Your Turbo does not have a pump within the fuel tank. Whenever you want to verify what your vehicle has....reverse engineer it. Simply go on the Bentley Heritage site and plug in your VIN number and all the parts for your car will appear by category.
Here is your pump:

https://heritage.bentleymotors.com/en/catalogue/partCatalogue/5415?chassisNumber=SCBZS0T09HCX20018#search-by-categories

Graham Burn
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, 18 September, 2022 - 03:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi both, thanks for the link Robert, I was going by the information in the technical manuals downloaded from this forum which appeared to indicate a booster pump in the tank but if the Turbo R is not fitted with one it makes life much simpler!
Alarm bells rang when I removed the seized pump and there was a yellow crimp ring terminal on the positive supply lead to the pump where a blue would have been more appropriate and this second wire taped up in a suspicious manner. When I get back under to fit the new pump I'll try to get the colour of this second wire which might give a clue as to where it should go.
Thanks again
Graham

Graham Burn
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 19 September, 2022 - 04:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK managed to get to spend some time under the Bentley today to fit the replacement pump, successfully flushed the fuel lines to the engine using the jumper, once I had fuel to the injection system I reconnected the pipes and ran the pump again to purge any air from the lines and back to the tank, replaced the interlock relay and she started up first turn of the key! So next job is get the car back to my workshop and continue where I left off with the bodywork repairs and hopefully get the front wings and bonnet painted.
It turned out the extra wire was in fact 2 wires, one black and the other white/pink, the black had a female spade connector inside a plastic plug so I'm guessing that the wiring is there for the in tank pump which mine doesn't have. I'm afraid I get a bit paranoid when I find dodgy wiring which looks like a bodge!
Anyway the beast lives so on to the next stage.
Many thanks for your help in helping to resolve my dilemma!
Graham

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2022 - 00:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a thought
Our 1990 Mulsanne S is fitted with two fuel pumps. Should your car have two and it's minus one?
Regards,
Darryl

Graham Burn
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, 25 October, 2022 - 21:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Darryl, just seen your post, the car came to me like this and ran very well until I took it off the road to do some bodywork, the base plate on the tank only has a fuel outlet without any evidence of wiring connections so it would appear that it has always only had one, anyway running again now with a 30 quid Chinese Bosch copy.

I haven't tried it on the road yet but seems OK.

Graham

Darryl Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, 26 October, 2022 - 23:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham,

The pumps on our car are in series so the fuel flow is from the tank, to a pump, then to the input of the second pump then to the engine.
Regards

Graham Burn
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2022 - 21:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Darryl, now I have conflicting information, the manuals which I down loaded from this site for my car show two pumps, the first inside the tank and the pressure pump outside, Robert sent a link to the Bentley motors parts cat which shows only one pump but I have wiring for a second pump, now I'm really confused. There were several changes to these cars around 1990 so maybe that is an explanation and I don't want to further complicate what is already a fairly complex vehicle if it's not needed, it would be easy enough to add a second pump just a bit of pipework and a mounting but as I said the car ran very well without the booster pump with no signs of fuel starvation even at high demand (driving fast!)
Graham

Graham Burn
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, 27 October, 2022 - 21:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just found this in the Bentley parts cat https://heritage.bentleymotors.com/en/catalogue/partCatalogue/5379?chassisNumber=SCBZS0T09HCX20018#search-by-categories which shows assy intank pre pump UE70082, however, mine does not have this fitment as there are no electrical connections adjacent to the fuel outlet pipe!
Graham

Darryl Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, 05 November, 2022 - 20:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham,

This the Heritage web page for our car. The pump part number is UE73344

https://heritage.bentleymotors.com/en/catalogue/partCatalogue/467?chassisNumber=SCBZS00A8LCH32556#search-by-categories

Part of the service schedule is to disconnect each pump in turn to check operation.
(I just listen to them both buzzing using a screwdriver as a stethoscope 'cuz I'm bone idle).

Regards,

Darryl Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, 05 November, 2022 - 20:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

p.s.

perhaps two pumps were fitted so that the car will not "fail to proceed" if one pump failed.

Graham Burn
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, 12 November, 2022 - 04:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Darryl, that set up is for post 1990 cars whereas mine is 1987 UE73344 seems to be a Bosch high pressure pump plumbed in series. I think the pump in the tank would be a low pressure high volume pump feeding the high pressure injection pump under the floor to prevent cavitation in the injection pump as the Bosch pump needs a positive pressure on the suction at all times, all the fittings under the floor appear to be factory so for now I'll go with what I have.
Thanks
Graham

neilcrossland
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 28 April, 2023 - 01:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All!

I have a '89 Turbo R, that starts first time, but when you switch off it won't restart!!!

Come back to it next day and it starts first time again! Until you switch it off! any ideas??

Chassis No.SAJDKANF3CR840604

Neil

(Message approved by david_gore)

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 786
Posted on Friday, 28 April, 2023 - 17:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Could be flooding due to leaking fuel distributor or cold start injector.
Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Friday, 02 June, 2023 - 05:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Neil,
That chassis number is not a Bentley Turbo R one. It looks to me like it could be a Jaguar one.
I would suspect the fuel accumulator if you are finding it hard to restart when the engine is warm. Does your car have a fuel accumulator? if so - That is the culprit

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: