MPG? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » MPG? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, 27 August, 2022 - 03:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just did a 157 mile trip and ran 10 MPG at 80 MPH (speed limit on that highway)for most of the 150 miles. 10.46 MPG to be exact
86 Spirit 32,000 miles on the clock 91 octane fuel
Ran perfectly smooth and quiet. All temps perfect

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 814
Posted on Saturday, 27 August, 2022 - 04:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

10.46 us mpg is I think 12.6 UK mpg. Seems low, but uk/us specs differ. My Wife's 1987 injection Bentley 8 usually returns 18-20 uk mpg ( which I guess is 15-16 us mpg) on motorways at 60/65 mph. 70mph is the UK limit,but with roadworks and congestion, rarely achievable. I use 99 octane fuel. My daily driver 1989 MulsanneS gives about the same usage with 16 UK mpg in town and local use.
Mark

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4116
Posted on Saturday, 27 August, 2022 - 07:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mak,

Just a note - Cliff is in the USA and is probably reporting his mileage based on US gallons and not Imperial gallons:

1 US gallon = 0.833 Imperial gallons

His 10.46MPG converts to 12.56MPG however he is using 91RON fuel which gives less mileage than your 99RON fuel especially if fuel injected engines are involved totake advantage of the higher energy content of premium grade fuel.

"Horses for courses" rules apply in comparisons like this such as the actual driving conditions in regard to road type, flat or hilly terrain, trafffic conditions, altitude and weather conditions to name just a few.

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, 27 August, 2022 - 12:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark you are correct US gallons and 80 MPH WILL decrease the fuel mileage significantly due to aerodynamic drag and bearing increased friction due to higher rotational speeds.
IIRC back when the USA EPA gave this vehicle a fuel mileage rating of something around 12 and that was at a much lower speed than I drove. The route I went gained 3000 feet in elevation but lost it all on the return trip so it should have negated the climb penalty.
Can't get higher RON fuel around here too easily
I'm stuck with what we got but it runs great even on 91
If you have to ask the mileage you can't afford the car! :-)
I have a friend with both an SZ and a Ghost. When he bought the Ghost from the dealer he asked about mileage and the dealer responded that it wasn't an issue as the car has a 29 gallon tank!

Nothing beats driving a Rolls Royce!

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 759
Posted on Saturday, 27 August, 2022 - 17:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Cliff
If yours is carbs it's a lot less fuel efficient than injection also not being turbo makes it less fuel efficient. I can easily get 20mpg from my turbo r. Mike

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 815
Posted on Saturday, 27 August, 2022 - 21:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Cliff " Nothing beats driving a Rolls Royce!"
Certainly correct. I have tried many others and still come back to old RR s and Bentleys as my daily drivers. I figure the maintenance and additional fuel cost, still is less than the depreciation on a new family car.
Mark

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, 27 August, 2022 - 23:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

michael- I have fuel injection Its a Calif delivered car 20 mpg? WOW If only :-)
Mark- I agree financially its better than new car payments and depreciation value every month. Its actually cheaper in the long run Depreciating assets only lose money every month big time. Just have to know which ones to buy and which ones to avoid.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 760
Posted on Sunday, 28 August, 2022 - 02:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Cliff that's UK gallons E5 97 Ron I think.and our limit is 70mph totally enforced 😳.
Ps I have 17" wheels maybe that helps too.
Mike

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, 30 August, 2022 - 20:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nothing beats driving a Rolls Royce!
Unless of course it's a Bentley

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2022 - 12:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes but only the Rolls is always noticed as the SOE is known by most everyone

You have to look twice at Bentley to see what it is. :-)

Darryl Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, 25 January, 2023 - 05:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not sure what SOE is -Special Operations Executive circa World War 2?.

Perhaps Bentleys are more common in the UK than the USA?

No offence - light hearted banter.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 816
Posted on Wednesday, 25 January, 2023 - 08:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SOE Spirit of Ecstacy

Darryl Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, 03 February, 2023 - 00:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SOE vs FB

hhalldavid1yahoo.co.uk
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, 02 February, 2023 - 02:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Miles per gallon or Smiles per Mile.
Driving my '89 Spirit now gives 18mpg on petrol and 14 on LPG.
Today it went for its MoT and passed with exhaust emissions of 0.09 CO and 90 HC. Permissible maximums in Uk are 3.6 CO and 1200 ppm HC. The examiner had to check the engine was still running !!I would recommend the LPG conversion to all

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: