Gooey Rubber Type Stuff - Door Seal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Gooey Rubber Type Stuff - Door Seal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, 28 December, 2020 - 19:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,
A flexible rubber like compound is used under the parts of the door seal. e.g. the triangle that covers the front door front waist-rail securing screw.
Does anyone know what it's called or a modern alternative?
I'm not convinced that silicon would do the job.
Many thanks,
Darryl

Brian Crump
Experienced User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, 01 January, 2021 - 11:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Probably the closest you might come to the same is windscreen sealant such as Bostick 5615 Mastic as it never sets hard and is not silicone.
https://www.bostik.com/newzealand/bostik-products/Bostik5615
Regards,
Brian

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 668
Posted on Friday, 01 January, 2021 - 11:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use this product. This is also the preferred product when renewing the plastic door barriers. Will not dry out so you can reposition, etc.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Strip-Calk/?N=5002385+3293194020&rt=rud

Darryl Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, 01 January, 2021 - 17:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the replies.

I intended to update my post but other tasks kept taking priority.

I believe that the substance in question is Dum-Dum. Something I had forgotten even existed and apparently is no longer made.

A UK company Frost can supply a replacement material but the purchase quantity is excessive for the small amounts that I need. https://www.frost.co.uk/eastwood-flexible-strip-caulk-dum-dum-replacement/

I have found and ordered a product on eBay designed for Land Rovers. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defender-Owners-need-Dum-Dums-water-proof-sealant-that-never-sets/203219721211?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I will update the post when I use it.

Regards,

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 754
Posted on Friday, 01 January, 2021 - 21:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can't remember what it's called but I bought a roll of that black double sided sticky sealer from my local builder supplies/plumbing store. It's a great product for sticking the plastic/polythene door seals to the door frame. I cut out new plastic/polythene seals using sections a builder grade plastic roll from the same store.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 414
Posted on Saturday, 02 January, 2021 - 02:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry, is that radon gas barrier joiner

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 755
Posted on Saturday, 02 January, 2021 - 05:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's it Hubert, you've hit the nail on the head, I couldn't remember what it was called. I found it great for sticking the door sealing plastic sheets to the door frame, especially because it is forgiving if fitted incorrectly and can be adjusted.

Darryl Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, 13 January, 2021 - 00:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The black stuff has arrived and has "Flexistrip" printed on the backing paper.
It comes in a strip approx. 12mm wide and 2mm thick.
It is malleable, stretchy and can be rolled into a ball. To the touch it has the same consistency as the original
Darryl

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, 14 January, 2021 - 20:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Original in UK called DUMDUM. came in circular tins

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: