Steering Rack Woes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Steering Rack Woes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Harvey
New User
Username: windy_weekend

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, 05 January, 2021 - 12:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Last month I took the plunge to get my leaking steering rack fixed once and for all. After having problems getting it off myself I found a local shop who did it for me so I could send it off to a reputable rack reconditioner for some new seals. It came back and got on the car apparently fine. A week later I took it out for its first drive only to find it leaking again, but this time worse than the original leaks. Not only am I a few thousand lighter in the wallet now, but I'm in the same boat I was in a matter of weeks ago.

A little extra context - this is a 2014 rack on a 1988 car. A service record from the previous owner indicated they had taken the car to Bentley reporting a leaking rack in 2015. They informed him that it had the wrong fluid in it (LHM when it should have had ATF). It definitely appeared that more than the wrong fluid was up though.

Questions for the community -

1. Is it even worth spending the money again on getting this rack back to the reconditioner (assuming I can get it off myself), or am I better off swapping it out for a new/reconditioned one?
2. If I were to swap this out for a reconditioned one would I be better off with an 80's rack or another 2014 one? Is there something about the much newer racks that is totally incompatible with the older vehicle specs that might be part of the root cause here?

Would love to hear everyone's opinions.

Thanks.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Wednesday, 06 January, 2021 - 10:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard these racks are notorious for this type of bad service, The original racks were made in house and were a constant nightmare one gentleman fitted two racks in four hundred miles, I would buy an original second hand one and have it rebuilt.

Richard.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: